Options

SANS Work Study program is now $1100

iBrokeITiBrokeIT Member Posts: 1,318 ■■■■■■■■■□
FYI: The SANS Work Study program is now $1100 as of April 1st (no joke) which I found out after I was approved on April 4th icon_mad.gif
2019: GPEN | GCFE | GXPN | GICSP | CySA+ 
2020: GCIP | GCIA 
2021: GRID | GDSA | Pentest+ 
2022: GMON | GDAT
2023: GREM  | GSE | GCFA

WGU BS IT-NA | SANS Grad Cert: PT&EH | SANS Grad Cert: ICS Security | SANS Grad Cert: Cyber Defense Ops SANS Grad Cert: Incident Response

Comments

• Options
    JoJoCal19JoJoCal19 Mod Posts: 2,835 Mod
    Yup, they've had a warning up on the Work Study info page for a little while. I expected it sooner or later when they raised the overall course prices. Sucks but still a great value since we get course, on-demand, and exam for $1100 instead of $7000 for non facilitators.
    Have: CISSP, CISM, CISA, CRISC, eJPT, GCIA, GSEC, CCSP, CCSK, AWS CSAA, AWS CCP, OCI Foundations Associate, ITIL-F, MS Cyber Security - USF, BSBA - UF, MSISA - WGU
    Currently Working On: Python, OSCP Prep
    Next Up:​ OSCP
    Studying:​ Code Academy (Python), Bash Scripting, Virtual Hacking Lab Coursework
  • Options
    NetworkNewbNetworkNewb Member Posts: 3,298 ■■■■■■■■■□
    I didn't see that, damn that sucks... Applied for one this summer, and its still disappointing I would have to pay more then 20% more now even if it is a good deal. If I get chosen it'll depend on which course I get chosen for on if I do it or not now. $900 out of my pocket was tough, $1100 definitely makes harder. icon_sad.gif
  • Options
    cyberguyprcyberguypr Mod Posts: 6,928 Mod
    When I see the price of Work Study go up I initially get sticker shock, but then I remind myself that the CEH is $600 without any training. Makes me feel better about dishing out the $$$ to SANS immediately.
  • Options
    ErtazErtaz Member Posts: 934 ■■■■■□□□□□
    How far out do they let you know? There is some specialized training I'd like to have that work wouldn't be eager to pay for.
  • Options
    You find out about 4-6 weeks before the start of the conference that you have been selected. Usually you'll get an email stating whether you've been selected or not.

WGU BS IT-NA | SANS Grad Cert: PT&EH | SANS Grad Cert: ICS Security | SANS Grad Cert: Cyber Defense Ops SANS Grad Cert: Incident Response
  • Options
    iBrokeIT wrote: »
    You find out about 4-6 weeks before the start of the conference that you have been selected. Usually you'll get an email stating whether you've been selected or not.

Guessing you applied for the workstudy here in MN too? :)
  • Options
    Guessing you applied for the workstudy here in MN too? :)

Actually, not yet. Which classes are you signed up for so I specifically know to request those ones? icon_lol.gif

• Options
    ErtazErtaz Member Posts: 934 ■■■■■□□□□□

Well, I've probably missed out on the two I applied for since they are right at the time window today. I was really hoping I'd get the Nashville one, it would save me on the cost of the hotel.
  • Options
    Actually, not yet. Which classes are you signed up for so I specifically know to request those ones? icon_lol.gif

I wish I could remember the exact order, was probably close to 2 months ago when I put it in, but I think I requested it the following:

1. GCIA
    2. GCIH
    3. GCWN
    4. GPEN
    5. GSEC
  • Options
    Good news, I was accepted at the $900 rate because that was the rate listed at the bottom of the first page of the contract they sent me on Monday. I raised that point when I called to pay off my invoice today and they told me the new rate was going to be $1100. ALWAYS READ THE CONTRACT icon_cool.gif

I wish I could remember the exact order, was probably close to 2 months ago when I put it in, but I think I requested it the following:

1. GCIA
    2. GCIH
    3. GCWN
    4. GPEN
    5. GSEC

That's a pretty good list, I hope you get one! I would probably only request SEC503 (GCIA) and FOR508 (GCFA) if I did apply. Although if I got accepted that would make 3 SANS courses in 10 months for me which feels a bit excessive but they are so much fun.

• Options
    the_Grinchthe_Grinch Member Posts: 4,165 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Excellent news! My classes in Legal Studies have definitely helped on items such as this (contracts and regulations).
    WIP:
    PHP
    Kotlin
    Intro to Discrete Math
    Programming Languages
    Work stuff
  • Options
    636-555-3226636-555-3226 Member Posts: 975 ■■■■■□□□□□
    Much like Chick-fil-a, SANS is basically a printing press that makes money, and money, and money. I'm not complaining, just observing. It's good to be king...
  • Options
    TechGromitTechGromit Member Posts: 2,156 ■■■■■■■■■□

I'm very interested in this work study program, I want to obtain my GCIH cert first, but after that, I'll would like to apply. Anyway, can anyone tell me if you dramatically increase your chances of getting selected if your not picky about location or course? I would pretty much open to anywhere in the United States, pretty much any course I haven't already taken. Fortunately my company will still pay for SANS training, but now it's every other year, instead of every year. While $1,100 is a lot of money, it's still a bargain when compared to the full price courses.
    Still searching for the corner in a round room.
  • Options
    I would imagine the bigger conferences need more facilitators therefore you should have better odds. I remember hearing at SANS Network Security 2015 in Las Vegas they were having troubles finding people up to the week before the conference started.

• Options
    bjthajokestabjthajokesta Member Posts: 9 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Wow did not know the prices were going up. I just finished facilitating the GCIH in Atlanta instructed by Chris Pizor and it was great. Although my employer paid for my course, i'm glad I got to facilitate while it was still $900. $1,100 is still not bad compared to paying $7,000 plus.
  • Options
    LWB250LWB250 Member Posts: 59 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I did my first work study at SANS Orlando last month and it was great! Even if it's $1100 versus $900 it's still a heck of a deal.

You do work your butt off, but my instructor was great and easy to work with. It's a lot of long hours and hard work, but I met a lot of really great people that I hope to be working with again next year in Orlando.

Considering that my class was one with a GIAC certification, you can't beat the value - for some hard work and time you get not only the course and materials, but the practice tests and certification test (fee).

I was amazed that I was picked to do it, as at the time I applied I had no GIAC certs and only a few SANS classes under my belt. I do have experience as a former technical trainer who presented in a similar environment, so that may have had something to do with being chosen.
  • Options
    TechGromitTechGromit Member Posts: 2,156 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Right now my ideal class to facilitate would be MGT414, this way I could study towards my CISSP and get the SANS GISP cert as well.
    Still searching for the corner in a round room.
  • Options
    chanakyajupudichanakyajupudi Member Posts: 712
    Seeing that it is slightly higher than before. It is worth it! I would happily for one. It is getting harder to get into the Work Study though. I have been applying for at least a year now. Nothing at all! I do end up on the waiting list sometimes though!
    Work In Progress - RHCA [ ] Certified Cloud Security Professional [ ] GMON/GWAPT if Work Study is accepted [ ]
    http://adarsh.amazonwebservices.ninja