Options

My Job is requiring GSEC how should i go about beating this beast

ClmClm Member Posts: 444 ■■■■□□□□□□
So my company wants me to get the GSEC as a requirement I Have passed CISSP and Security + on a scale how comparable are they to GSEC what are the best material to use to pass GSEC any advice would be great.
I find your lack of Cloud Security Disturbing!!!!!!!!!
Connect with me on LinkedIn https://www.linkedin.com/in/myerscraig

Comments

• Options
    cyberguyprcyberguypr Mod Posts: 6,928 Mod
    Easy. Tell them to pony up money for the training. Are they willing to do that or at least pay for you to challenge the exam?
  • Options
    TongyTongy Member Posts: 234
    I can't speak for the exam but I am doing the GSEC online course with sans and a box of 6 books of course materials is what I got. I can't imagine passing the exam without the materials and having done the course... It's open book, but is still classed a foundation cert - like sec+ - by DoD strangely?!
  • Options
    ClmClm Member Posts: 444 ■■■■□□□□□□
    They will pay for the exam I don't know if they will pay for the class so im looking for recommendations on study material
    I find your lack of Cloud Security Disturbing!!!!!!!!!
    Connect with me on LinkedIn https://www.linkedin.com/in/myerscraig

• Options
    I don't know of anything current and wouldn't trust any materials out there other than official Eric Cole stuff. Where I work is the opposite way round, they will pay for the course but not the exam (the cost is outrageous imho)!
  • Options
    636-555-3226636-555-3226 Member Posts: 975 ■■■■■□□□□□
    You have to have the SANS books. The tests are taken from content in the books. It's technically possible to pass (esp. with the GSEC since it's a bit basic compared to the rest), but it's still way more technical than your CISSP or Security+. To be honest, the only way to prep is to pay $5k for the course. it scares me that your employer is requiring you to take a cert test without actually understanding how the cert or underlying course works.

Let me repeat - the official SANS courseware is the only stuff to buy for this test. Other than that, you can only wing it. Nothing else will really prep you since it's the mile wide inch deep kind of course that no other source can adequately cover unless you read 50 other books.
  • Options
    JoJoCal19JoJoCal19 Mod Posts: 2,835 Mod
    Tongy wrote: »
    I don't know of anything current and wouldn't trust any materials out there other than official Eric Cole stuff. Where I work is the opposite way round, they will pay for the course but not the exam (the cost is outrageous imho)!

The exam is only $639 when purchased with the course.
    Have: CISSP, CISM, CISA, CRISC, eJPT, GCIA, GSEC, CCSP, CCSK, AWS CSAA, AWS CCP, OCI Foundations Associate, ITIL-F, MS Cyber Security - USF, BSBA - UF, MSISA - WGU
    Currently Working On: Python, OSCP Prep
    Next Up:​ OSCP
    Studying:​ Code Academy (Python), Bash Scripting, Virtual Hacking Lab Coursework
  • Options
    psheehan5psheehan5 Member Posts: 80 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Hey Clm, I'm not sure if this is government or not but DOD 8570 has GSEC on the same level as Sec+ as a IAT Level II. If you passed CISSP, that has you at IAT Level III, IAM Level III, IASAE II. Here's a DISA link with the info:
    http://iase.disa.mil/iawip/Pages/iabaseline.aspx
    I hope that helps.
    PS
  • Options
    kiki162kiki162 Member Posts: 635 ■■■■■□□□□□
    Tell them they need to cough up the money for the class. You really do need the books for any SANS exams. You can do the course remotely to save on travel. What type of work are you doing? Was this in your original job requirements? I'd talk with HR if need be. Ask if you'll be fired if you don't obtain the certification. I'd be prepared to walk if someone shoved that down my throat.
  • Options
    JoJoCal19 wrote: »
    The exam is only $639 when purchased with the course.

And over $1000 if not.

Don't get me wrong, good as the course is, GSEC isn't very well known in the UK and I don't know if it represents good ROI when it costs - even at the "cheap" rate - the same as CISM/CISSP... especially as I'd be paying with my own money :)

Incidentally, did you pay for the exam yourself?
  • Options
    TechGromitTechGromit Member Posts: 2,156 ■■■■■■■■■□
    psheehan5 wrote: »
    Hey Clm, I'm not sure if this is government or not but DOD 8570 has GSEC on the same level as Sec+ as a IAT Level II. If you passed CISSP, that has you at IAT Level III, IAM Level III, IASAE II.

I'm puzzled too why they want you to take the GSEC if you already have a CISSP. My understanding a GSEC was roughly halfway between a Security+ and CISSP cert. For all purposes it's a lower level cert than a CISSP.

I would suggest educating your employer that a CISSP card beats a GSEC card in the game of war. icon_wink.gif
    Still searching for the corner in a round room.
  • Options
    kiki162kiki162 Member Posts: 635 ■■■■■□□□□□
    @clm What is the reasoning behind them wanting you to get the GSEC? GSEC is way more technical, not really not something that you can just buy a book on and pass. I would send your boss info on the SANS Work study program, and provide that as an alternative. They have a SANS events in your area, so you wouldn't have to travel.
  • Options
    JoJoCal19JoJoCal19 Mod Posts: 2,835 Mod
    Tongy wrote: »
    And over $1000 if not.

Don't get me wrong, good as the course is, GSEC isn't very well known in the UK and I don't know if it represents good ROI when it costs - even at the "cheap" rate - the same as CISM/CISSP... especially as I'd be paying with my own money :)

Incidentally, did you pay for the exam yourself?

Right, but you said your work will pay for the course but not the exam, so in that case you could pay for the exam and it would be the cheaper rate.

My work paid for my Work Study fee, which included the exam and OnDemand access, all for $900. I was prepared to pay for it myself if they didn't.
    Have: CISSP, CISM, CISA, CRISC, eJPT, GCIA, GSEC, CCSP, CCSK, AWS CSAA, AWS CCP, OCI Foundations Associate, ITIL-F, MS Cyber Security - USF, BSBA - UF, MSISA - WGU
    Currently Working On: Python, OSCP Prep
    Next Up:​ OSCP
    Studying:​ Code Academy (Python), Bash Scripting, Virtual Hacking Lab Coursework
  • Options
    JoJoCal19 wrote: »
    Right, but you said your work will pay for the course but not the exam, so in that case you could pay for the exam and it would be the cheaper rate.

My work paid for my Work Study fee, which included the exam and OnDemand access, all for $900. I was prepared to pay for it myself if they didn't.

Indeed I could, however it comes back to the point that I don't see the value in the certification over and above those that I already have. The course and what it teaches is pretty good, but for the investment (in the UK anyway) it would not professionally open any doors for me.

It certainly carries more weight in the USA so might well be worth it! By no means am I running the cert down at all btw!
  • Options
    valbizuresjr81valbizuresjr81 Member Posts: 14 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Def. get the course material from SANS and create an amazing index.
  • Options
    BrandonEckertBrandonEckert Member Posts: 6 ■■□□□□□□□□
    The courseware is fantastic! As everyone says, index index index!