Options

I passed the GCIH exam

ansel1261ansel1261 Member Posts: 24 ■■□□□□□□□□
Method of Study for the GCIH: SANS On-demand and practice testsPrep time outside the time to take the course: 70 HoursThank you to everyone on this site for their help. I passed the GCIH today. I felt that the actual exam was about the same as the practice exams but just a little harder. I took three of the SANS GCIH practice tests. I scored higher on the exam than I did on most of my practice tests. One note about indexes for the GCIH. If it is a true index, meaning simply pointing to where information is in the books or other materials. Do not use somebody else’s index. I tried a practice test, relying on a combination of my index and somebody else’s index. I got clobbered on the practice test (I failed it). The index supports what you already know but points to some of the details you may have not committed to memory. This is where is the index is valuable (IMHO).I came to this site looking for insight. I found a good bit of it. Thank you. I would like to offer I little advice to those of you who are going to sit for the GCIH exam. After I took the last practice test, I told my wife that I knew I could pass the exam because I was “Running Downhill” the entire practice test. What I meant by that statement was that I had a grasp on every concept tested on. Some of the questions I missed because I interpreted the question wrong, did not read the question correctly or simply could not differentiate between two answers but I did not miss any question due to lack of exposure to the topic. If you are at this point in your preparation ... schedule the exam and enjoy taking it. Hope this helps,Ansel

Comments

• Options
    cyberguyprcyberguypr Mod Posts: 6,928 Mod
    Congrats on the pass. I gotta echo your comments about making your own index. It adds tremendous value to the learning experience and helps solidify understanding of the topics.
  • Options
    E Double UE Double U Member Posts: 2,229 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Congratulations and welcome to the club!
    Alphabet soup from (ISC)2, ISACA, GIAC, EC-Council, Microsoft, ITIL, Cisco, Scrum, CompTIA, AWS
  • Options
    iBrokeITiBrokeIT Member Posts: 1,318 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Congrats! icon_cheers.gif
    2019: GPEN | GCFE | GXPN | GICSP | CySA+ 
    2020: GCIP | GCIA 
    2021: GRID | GDSA | Pentest+ 
    2022: GMON | GDAT
    2023: GREM  | GSE | GCFA

WGU BS IT-NA | SANS Grad Cert: PT&EH | SANS Grad Cert: ICS Security | SANS Grad Cert: Cyber Defense Ops SANS Grad Cert: Incident Response
  • Options
    bjthajokestabjthajokesta Member Posts: 9 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Congrats on your pass. I hope to challenge the test in about a month or so. I took the class recently in Atlanta where I created about a 10 page index during the week of class. I plan on going through the ondemand training before trying my first practice exam.
  • Options
    pgupta101pgupta101 Member Posts: 23 ■□□□□□□□□□
    thanks for sharing. i am studying for gcih.
    not sure if creating index will help! will i have time to look at the books ?
    In last successful attempt on GCCC, i took the books with me to the exam, but didnt refer them at all.
  • Options
    gncsmithgncsmith Member Posts: 459 ■■■□□□□□□□
  • Options
    DAVIS NGUYENDAVIS NGUYEN Member Posts: 1,472 ■■■□□□□□□□
  • Options
    lensiplensip Registered Users Posts: 2 ■□□□□□□□□□
    ansel1261 wrote: »
    Do not use somebody else’s index. I tried a practice test, relying on a combination of my index and somebody else’s index. I got clobbered on the practice test (I failed it). The index supports what you already know but points to some of the details you may have not committed to memory. This is where is the index is valuable (IMHO).

That is excellent advise!!!!
  • Options
    _nessie__nessie_ Member Posts: 39 ■■■□□□□□□□
    pgupta101 wrote: »
    thanks for sharing. i am studying for gcih.
    not sure if creating index will help! will i have time to look at the books ?
    In last successful attempt on GCCC, i took the books with me to the exam, but didnt refer them at all.

Hey,
    passed mine last week and I have to say that I had enough time to check almost every response in the book ..
    but you'll lack the time to grasp every single concept .. looking stuff up is for the mere details ..
    but that's MHO. icon_lol.gif
    cheers
  • Options
    BillHooBillHoo Member Posts: 207 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Congratulations!

Has anyone EVER passed using someone else's index?
  • Options
    _nessie__nessie_ Member Posts: 39 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I know people who passed using someone else's index, but that was the GSEC exam.