Options

GCIH exam date

HiggsxHiggsx Member Posts: 72 ■■□□□□□□□□
Hello all.

I'm taking GCIH Ondemand course and its expiration date is on 16th jun.
I wonder when I have to select exam date?

after expiration date or before it?

Comments

• Options
    cyberguyprcyberguypr Mod Posts: 6,928 Mod
    Did you already purchase your exam voucher? Vouchers have a shelf-life of 4 months so the purchase date of the voucher is what determines when you need to take it by.
  • Options
    JoJoCal19JoJoCal19 Mod Posts: 2,835 Mod
    To add to what cyberguypr said, if you bought the exam voucher at the same time (bundled with) your OnDemand course, the exam expires the same date your course expires.
    Have: CISSP, CISM, CISA, CRISC, eJPT, GCIA, GSEC, CCSP, CCSK, AWS CSAA, AWS CCP, OCI Foundations Associate, ITIL-F, MS Cyber Security - USF, BSBA - UF, MSISA - WGU
    Currently Working On: Python, OSCP Prep
    Next Up:​ OSCP
    Studying:​ Code Academy (Python), Bash Scripting, Virtual Hacking Lab Coursework
  • Options
    It is strange :)
    I received email titled: "GIAC Certification Program"
    and email says:
    "
    Your attempt will expire on Thursday, June 16, 2016 11:59 PM UTC"

In my sans account dashboard:
    "
    Expires: June 15, 2016 (8 pm US EDT / Midnight UTC)"

They expire almost the same time although I paid for the GCIH certification exam 1 week ago :)

Is this normal?

p.s I took ondemand course at the end of February without exam
  • Options
    cyberguyprcyberguypr Mod Posts: 6,928 Mod
    Weird. It sounds like they are taking the February date as the starting point. I would shoot an email and have them clarify.
  • Options
    TechGromitTechGromit Member Posts: 2,156 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Higgsx wrote: »
    It is strange :)
    I received email titled: "GIAC Certification Program"
    and email says:
    "
    Your attempt will expire on Thursday, June 16, 2016 11:59 PM UTC"

You don't have to pick an exam date right away, but just remember to give yourself enough time to schedule the exam with a testing center, you might have to wait a couple weeks for an appointment to take the exam. I wouldn't risk scheduling it any less than three weeks before it expires.
    Still searching for the corner in a round room.
  • Options
    I sent an email to sans and they replied that this is normal.

Thanks all for your reply :)
  • Options
    JoJoCal19JoJoCal19 Mod Posts: 2,835 Mod
    Wait, so they're saying if you buy OnDemand in February, but pay for the exam attempt in April, that you only get 4 months from the February date? What price did you pay for the exam? I guess if you paid the cheaper $650 price for it instead of the usual $1200 challenge rate that is why they are saying that, but still doesn't seem that fair.
    Have: CISSP, CISM, CISA, CRISC, eJPT, GCIA, GSEC, CCSP, CCSK, AWS CSAA, AWS CCP, OCI Foundations Associate, ITIL-F, MS Cyber Security - USF, BSBA - UF, MSISA - WGU
    Currently Working On: Python, OSCP Prep
    Next Up:​ OSCP
    Studying:​ Code Academy (Python), Bash Scripting, Virtual Hacking Lab Coursework
  • Options
    JoJoCal19 wrote: »
    Wait, so they're saying if you buy OnDemand in February, but pay for the exam attempt in April, that you only get 4 months from the February date? What price did you pay for the exam? I guess if you paid the cheaper $650 price for it instead of the usual $1200 challenge rate that is why they are saying that, but still doesn't seem that fair.

Yeap.
    I paid cheaper $650 instead of usual $1200

But it is ok, I think it is enough time to fully prepare for exam.
  • Options
    iBrokeITiBrokeIT Member Posts: 1,318 ■■■■■■■■■□
    • The GCIH Exam may be scheduled anytime within a 120 day window once a candidate has paid for the examination attempt

GIAC Certified Incident Handler | GCIH Certification

Although if you received the training discount on your GIAC voucher then your likely start date is right after the conference.
    2019: GPEN | GCFE | GXPN | GICSP | CySA+ 
    2020: GCIP | GCIA 
    2021: GRID | GDSA | Pentest+ 
    2022: GMON | GDAT
    2023: GREM  | GSE | GCFA

WGU BS IT-NA | SANS Grad Cert: PT&EH | SANS Grad Cert: ICS Security | SANS Grad Cert: Cyber Defense Ops SANS Grad Cert: Incident Response