Options

Cisco's $10 Million in Scholarships for Cyber

Comments

• Options
    scaredoftestsscaredoftests Mod Posts: 2,780 Mod
    superbeast wrote: »
    Does professional capacity refer to in IT industry or just in work experience?
    I would think the IT industry.
    Never let your fear decide your fate....
  • Options
    superbeastsuperbeast Member Posts: 86 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Thanks Scaredoftests

Just completed my next step information. Best of luck to you all.
  • Options
    SavvySavvy Member Posts: 15 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Completed the final step today. Now awaiting actual enrollment. Or the final, final step email. Whichever comes first.
  • Options
    bigdogzbigdogz Member Posts: 881 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I received the email and completed the form as well. I wish the best of luck to everyone.
  • Options
    JoJoCal19JoJoCal19 Mod Posts: 2,835 Mod
    Would be a really cool thing to have all of us in this thread working on this at the same time. Would be nice to get a thread made where everyone can collaborate during the course (and maybe a Slack group too).
    Have: CISSP, CISM, CISA, CRISC, eJPT, GCIA, GSEC, CCSP, CCSK, AWS CSAA, AWS CCP, OCI Foundations Associate, ITIL-F, MS Cyber Security - USF, BSBA - UF, MSISA - WGU
    Currently Working On: Python, OSCP Prep
    Next Up:​ OSCP
    Studying:​ Code Academy (Python), Bash Scripting, Virtual Hacking Lab Coursework
  • Options
    CyberJosh95CyberJosh95 Member Posts: 53 ■■■□□□□□□□
    JoJoCal19 wrote: »
    Would be a really cool thing to have all of us in this thread working on this at the same time. Would be nice to get a thread made where everyone can collaborate during the course (and maybe a Slack group too).

I agree with this!
  • Options
    scaredoftestsscaredoftests Mod Posts: 2,780 Mod
    I agree with this!
    I third that!icon_thumright.gif
    Never let your fear decide your fate....
  • Options
    chopstickschopsticks Member Posts: 389
    UnixGuy wrote: »
    @chopsticks: umm what score? I've just applied and received an automated response.

My bad, I assume they ask you to take the test right away. Anyway, good luck! :)
  • Options
    chopstickschopsticks Member Posts: 389
    Completed the final step too. Wish myself and all good luck! :)
  • Options
    techsecuritytechsecurity Member Posts: 34 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I received mine too. Lets hope for the best for all of us.
  • Options
    Mike-MikeMike-Mike Member Posts: 1,860
    add me to the final step party
    Currently Working On

CWTS, then WireShark
  • Options
    slim27jointslim27joint Member Posts: 32 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Interesting.....I just caught wind of this and decided to give it a shot, so I'll see what happens. Kind of reminds me of something similar that VMWare does for DoD minus the need to complete an assessment.
  • Options
    RollTideNDRollTideND Member Posts: 9 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Count me in as well - got the final email/questions. That's a lot of study time in 90 days...
    Earned: BS Mgmt/CIS (Park University), CISSP, GCIH, CEH, Security+, Network+, A+, Project+, CSIS, CIOS, MTA 98-365
    Current: WGU MSCIA - Risk Management, Cyberwarfare, and Cyber Law
    Next Up: WGU MSCIA - Other Courses TBD, CHFI, CCNA R&S
  • Options
    BerkshireHerdBerkshireHerd Member Posts: 185
    Got my final email, was able to check 3 boxes. ( under 5 years, CCENT, and S+)
    Identity & Access Manager // B.A - Marshall University 2005
  • Options
    RollTideNDRollTideND Member Posts: 9 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Forgot to mention - checked 3 boxes: Veteran + CISSP/GIAC + Security+ (I believe that's what the 3 were, or similar.)
    Earned: BS Mgmt/CIS (Park University), CISSP, GCIH, CEH, Security+, Network+, A+, Project+, CSIS, CIOS, MTA 98-365
    Current: WGU MSCIA - Risk Management, Cyberwarfare, and Cyber Law
    Next Up: WGU MSCIA - Other Courses TBD, CHFI, CCNA R&S
  • Options
    CertifiedMonkeyCertifiedMonkey Member Posts: 172 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Mooseboost wrote: »
    Got the same email. At this rate I expect the actual courses to start around January.

That makes sense. I can't imagine completing this course in 90 days with all the holidays coming up.
  • Options
    QueueQueue Member Posts: 174 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Got the the email and did it at 5 am and just not again to make sure it went through. Didn't throw an error message that my email and name had already been submitted.

Obviously with my list to the left I was able to check 5 boxes. I'm less than five years experience.
  • Options
    OctalDumpOctalDump Member Posts: 1,722
    Ertaz wrote: »
    Well, they should notify us by November 15th. Now I have to cram to get this GPEN completed before CYBEROPS gets started.

You're optimistic, taking them at their word.
    2017 Goals - Something Cisco, Something Linux, Agile PM
  • Options
    How did people answer the 5 years professional experience question? They didn't specify what field you have professional experience in, so I didn't tick it. But if they meant specifically cyber defence, then maybe I should have.

Also I have CCNP Netacad in Route + Switch, but that wasn't an option, only CCNA 1+2.

Although I am wondering if this was primarily to buy them some time.
  • Options
    ErtazErtaz Member Posts: 934 ■■■■■□□□□□
    OctalDump wrote: »
    You're optimistic, taking them at their word.

You're right. Now I'm sad and eating bon-bons.
  • Options
    jdancerjdancer Member Posts: 482 ■■■■□□□□□□
    How did people answer the 5 years professional experience question? They didn't specify what field you have professional experience in, so I didn't tick it. But if they meant specifically cyber defence, then maybe I should have.

Could be read a different ways. One is years in IT (I have more than 5 years in IT) or years in CyberSecurity (which is none). Question is too ambiguous.
  • Options
    devilbonesdevilbones Member Posts: 318 ■■■■□□□□□□
    jdancer wrote: »
    Could be read a different ways. One is years in IT (I have more than 5 years in IT) or years in CyberSecurity (which is none). Question is too ambiguous.
    The question states "I have been working in a professional capacity for less than five years" which is either a yes or no. I dont think the question has anything to do with job fields at all. So somebody that graduated college four years ago and was employed the entire time after graduation would check this box.
  • Options
    sheikysheiky Member Posts: 69 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I too filled the last step form yesterday. Wish you all the best to get this one.
  • Options
    devilbones wrote: »
    The question states "I have been working in a professional capacity for less than five years" which is either a yes or no. I dont think the question has anything to do with job fields at all. So somebody that graduated college four years ago and was employed the entire time after graduation would check this box.

Yeah, that's not really satisfactory either. Is it any professional field? Like if you were working as an accountant for 5 years, would that count? And why then only professional work, if you had 5 years in full time, salaried employment in a nonprofessional capacity, is that really different from any other unrelated professional employment?

It's like they had a clear idea in their head what they meant and assumed that we would have the same idea, but didn't actually describe well enough what they meant.

My best guess is that they mean 5 years of professional IT experience, which probably wouldn't include part time sales monkey at Discount Electronics Warehouse, but likely includes 5 years of helpdesk inbound phone support (sympathies to anyone in that position, although I am impressed that you are still alive) or better.
  • Options
    devilbonesdevilbones Member Posts: 318 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Yeah, that's not really satisfactory either. Is it any professional field? Like if you were working as an accountant for 5 years, would that count? And why then only professional work, if you had 5 years in full time, salaried employment in a nonprofessional capacity, is that really different from any other unrelated professional employment?

It's like they had a clear idea in their head what they meant and assumed that we would have the same idea, but didn't actually describe well enough what they meant.

My best guess is that they mean 5 years of professional IT experience, which probably wouldn't include part time sales monkey at Discount Electronics Warehouse, but likely includes 5 years of helpdesk inbound phone support (sympathies to anyone in that position, although I am impressed that you are still alive) or better.
    I think you are reading way too into it. It is any professional capacity for less than five years, ie were you getting paid.
  • Options
    NetworkNewbNetworkNewb Member Posts: 3,298 ■■■■■■■■■□
    devilbones wrote: »
    I think you are reading way too into it. It is any professional capacity for less than five years, ie were you getting paid.

Pretty much this ^^ ANY job.

Also, I would be willing to bet that anyone who checks any box and says they will spend the time they asked will get accepted to this... icon_thumright.gif
  • Options
    xxxkaliboyxxxxxxkaliboyxxx Member Posts: 466
    Pretty much this ^^ ANY job.

Also, I would be willing to bet that anyone who checks any box and says they will spend the time they asked will get accepted to this... icon_thumright.gif

another question would be is, are they really going to verify everyone's employment history?
    Studying: GPEN
    Reading
    : SANS SEC560
    Upcoming Exam: GPEN
  • Options
    NetworkNewbNetworkNewb Member Posts: 3,298 ■■■■■■■■■□
  • Options
    superbeastsuperbeast Member Posts: 86 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Just my opinion....

but I believe they would just take people at their word. Yes this is considered an investment but I'm willing to bet Cisco will do their due diligence to make sure they get a return on this investment. If you don't complete within their time frame or decide not to follow through after all, I'm sure those will get a nice bill from Cisco for materials costs. But I think if you're still showing interests by doing the qualification quiz and answering the questionnaire, then we're pretty much good as gold to be selected. Probably why they're deciding to stretch it out to see who is still committed after all this time.
  • Options
    shochanshochan Member Posts: 1,004 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Why would you fake it?? It's like lying on a resume...have some integrity & check the correct boxes that pertains to what you possess. If you cannot figure it out, re-read it until you understand what they are asking for.
    CompTIA A+, Network+, i-Net+, MCP 70-210, CNA v5, Server+, Security+, Cloud+, CySA+, ISC² CC, ISC² SSCP