Options

Cisco's $10 Million in Scholarships for Cyber

Comments

• Options
    josephandrejosephandre Member Posts: 315 ■■■■□□□□□□
  • Options
    PseudonymPseudonym Member Posts: 341 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Svoboda wrote: »
    Yep, May 14th for me too. I just submitted my case. Did they get back to you quickly?

Yep. Within a few hours it was all sorted.
    Certifications - A+, Net+, Sec+, Linux+, ITIL v3, MCITP:EDST/EDA, CCNA R&S/Cyber Ops, MCSA:2008/2012, MCSE:CP&I, RHCSA
    Working on - RHCE
  • Options
    relegatedrelegated Member Posts: 81 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I opened a case with them yesterday, got the voucher this morning after sending them the completion certificate. Scheduled the exam for Monday afternoon, we shall see. More nervous about this one than the SECFND going to study today and Monday.
  • Options
    BlucodexBlucodex Member Posts: 430 ■■■■□□□□□□
    That's pretty poor service on their part. You should ask for a refund.

It's free.
  • Options
    BlucodexBlucodex Member Posts: 430 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Pseudonym wrote: »
    Anyone in this cohort had a SECOPS voucher yet?

Got mine yesterday. Already have plans this weekend so I set my exam for Saturday the 9th.
  • Options
    SvobodaSvoboda Member Posts: 95 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Yep. Within a few hours it was all sorted.

Nice. Good luck when you take it.

I just looked at the testing center and they actually have some open spots next week. Hoping they get back with me soon so I can snag one.
  • Options
    I opened a case this morning and got a response with a voucher code.

Unfortunately, the code was invalid. So now I'm stuck in limbo again. Ugh.
  • Options
    I opened a case this morning and got a response with a voucher code.

Unfortunately, the code was invalid. So now I'm stuck in limbo again. Ugh.

That sucks. Any news yet?

[FONT=&quot]Passed SECOPS today with a 917. Harder than SECFND, which I'm glad about cause I don't want to walk out of the test centre feeling like I haven't achieved anything.[/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]
    [/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]Bit worried as the test disconnected twice & my score is showing up as pending on the Pearson Vue site. Called them and they said it was successfully delivered so I'm hopefully just worried about nothing.[/FONT]
    Certifications - A+, Net+, Sec+, Linux+, ITIL v3, MCITP:EDST/EDA, CCNA R&S/Cyber Ops, MCSA:2008/2012, MCSE:CP&I, RHCSA
    Working on - RHCE
  • Options
    Status has changed to pass now! Yes.
    Working on - RHCE
  • Options
    thedudeabidesthedudeabides Member Posts: 89 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I completed the SECOPS course Tuesday of last week, but never received a voucher. What exactly are you guys saying to support in your tickets? This is what they told me:

Voucher processing is typically conducted on Tuesday of each week. Voucher will be sent to the candidate within one week from course completion date.

If you have any further questions, or require additional assistance, please click the link below to update your case.
    2019 Goals: CCNP R&S
  • Options
    I completed the SECOPS course Tuesday of last week, but never received a voucher. What exactly are you guys saying to support in your tickets? This is what they told me:

Voucher processing is typically conducted on Tuesday of each week. Voucher will be sent to the candidate within one week from course completion date.

If you have any further questions, or require additional assistance, please click the link below to update your case.

If you only finished last Tuesday, then you have to wait 7 days for a voucher as they stated in their reply. So you should get it tomorrow.
    Working on - RHCE
  • Options
    If you only finished last Tuesday, then you have to wait 7 days for a voucher as they stated in their reply. So you should get it tomorrow.

Ah, OK. Thanks. I was concerned there was something wrong with their system because when I go to the leaderboard, it says I have zero badges.
  • Options
    shochanshochan Member Posts: 1,004 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Well, I was just emailed by Cisco that I was disqualified from Cohort 7 due to being a contractor for gov't...SMH
    CompTIA A+, Network+, i-Net+, MCP 70-210, CNA v5, Server+, Security+, Cloud+, CySA+, ISC² CC, ISC² SSCP
  • Options
    shochan wrote: »
    Well, I was just emailed by Cisco that I was disqualified from Cohort 7 due to being a contractor for gov't...SMH

That sucks. Any way you can appeal that? Will your contract end before Cohort 7 starts?
  • Options
    shochanshochan Member Posts: 1,004 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I actually was awarded the scholarship before I was a contractor for gov't though.

No, it has to do with gift giving to gov't contractor/employees apparently. FuuuuuuuuuCISCO! I never liked their tests anyways.
    CompTIA A+, Network+, i-Net+, MCP 70-210, CNA v5, Server+, Security+, Cloud+, CySA+, ISC² CC, ISC² SSCP
  • Options
    fredlwalfredlwal Member Posts: 44 ■■■□□□□□□□
    So I start the Cohort 7 July 6, Anyone get the Cisco press book CCNA Cyber Ops SECFND #210-250 ?
  • Options
    relegatedrelegated Member Posts: 81 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Just passed with an 871, agreed that it was much more difficult than SECFND. I didn't feel confident but was pleased to see the congratulations at the end. Glad I am done with this cert, hope everyone else does well.
  • Options
    relegated wrote: »
    Just passed with an 871, agreed that it was much more difficult than SECFND. I didn't feel confident but was pleased to see the congratulations at the end. Glad I am done with this cert, hope everyone else does well.

Congrats mate
    Working on - RHCE
  • Options
    yoba222yoba222 Member Posts: 1,237 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I actually was awarded the scholarship before I was a contractor for gov't though.No, it has to do with gift giving to gov't contractor/employees apparently. FuuuuuuuuuCISCO! I never liked their tests anyways.

Damn, sorry to hear it. That really sucks.
    A+, Network+, CCNA, LFCS,
    Security+, eJPT, CySA+, PenTest+,
    Cisco CyberOps, GCIH, VHL,
    In progress: OSCP
  • Options
    yoba222yoba222 Member Posts: 1,237 ■■■■■■■■□□
    fredlwal wrote: »
    So I start the Cohort 7 July 6, Anyone get the Cisco press book CCNA Cyber Ops SECFND #210-250 ?

I'm going to pass on buying the textbooks and just use the course materials. The reviews for those books dissuade me from purchasing them.
    A+, Network+, CCNA, LFCS,
    Security+, eJPT, CySA+, PenTest+,
    Cisco CyberOps, GCIH, VHL,
    In progress: OSCP
  • Options
    The books cover some stuff that the e-learning doesn't. Plus they come with practice tests which were very good.
    Working on - RHCE
  • Options
    EANxEANx Member Posts: 1,077 ■■■■■■■■□□

Yeah, Cisco tries to avoid "gift-giving" to govvies or government contractors. When they do so, like getting people to Cisco Live, they go through a reseller. They know they're (almost) the only game in town and try to avoid the appearance of impropriety.
  • Options

That sucks. Any news yet?

[FONT=&amp]Passed SECOPS today with a 917. Harder than SECFND, which I'm glad about cause I don't want to walk out of the test centre feeling like I haven't achieved anything.[/FONT]
    [FONT=&amp]
    [/FONT]

[FONT=&amp]Bit worried as the test disconnected twice & my score is showing up as pending on the Pearson Vue site. Called them and they said it was successfully delivered so I'm hopefully just worried about nothing.[/FONT]

They finally responded yesterday evening 15 minutes after I received the automated voucher email. icon_lol.gif

I'm scheduled for tomorrow night. Time to quickly refresh as I've forgotten a lot of the diamond model and Veris stuff already after looking through the outline.
  • Options
    They finally responded yesterday evening 15 minutes after I received the automated voucher email. icon_lol.gif

I'm scheduled for tomorrow night. Time to quickly refresh as I've forgotten a lot of the diamond model and Veris stuff already after looking through the outline.

The diamond model isn't actually mentioned on the blueprint.

https://regexone.com/
    Working on - RHCE
  • Options
    The diamond model isn't actually mentioned on the blueprint.

https://regexone.com/

I made my own outline based on the online course materials. Basically I took each section as a heading and then each subsection made a bullet point and then took some brief notes from each slide/video/review questions.

Regex was only briefly touched in the eLearning. I assume the link is a hint, eh?
  • Options
    fredlwal wrote: »

I bought that book and found it to be overkill compared to the eLearning. If you want additional background information on a topic, it's nice to have but you could easily Google stuff you wanted additional information on. The eLearning is more than enough to pass the SECFND exam, especially since having some networking was a prereq.
  • Options
    I always find the exam blueprint is the most accurate reflection of an exam. Remember, the NIST documents & the VERIS schema are mentioned explicitly on the exam blueprint. The NIST documents aren't covered at all by the e-learning. They're quite a large part of the percentage measured on the blueprint as well. It's a good indication of how much of it will be on the exam.
    Working on - RHCE
  • Options
    I always find the exam blueprint is the most accurate reflection of an exam. Remember, the NIST documents & the VERIS schema are mentioned explicitly on the exam blueprint. The NIST documents aren't covered at all by the e-learning. They're quite a large part of the percentage measured on the blueprint as well. It's a good indication of how much of it will be on the exam.

I believe Section 5 is based on NIST.

Cisco stated that you should be able to pass the tests with only the eLearning materials.
  • Options
    I believe Section 5 is based on NIST.

Cisco stated that you should be able to pass the tests with only the eLearning materials.

I've just had a look at section 5, and I believe that section 5.3 in the e-learning maps to 5.4a of the exam blueprint (Which I actually missed. I thought that was referring to volatile data collection)

I don't feel like the rest of 5.4 on the blueprint was adequately addressed. Feel free to correct me though. I think when they say that it's enough to pass, that doesn't equate to covering all of the objectives. In my experience, exam vendors expect you to do extra research on top of the official reading materials. Although that's moreso true with Microsoft.

There's also things like 3.3 on the exam blueprint and numerous other examples. For me, I'd rather not risk it.
    Working on - RHCE
  • Options
    I've just had a look at section 5, and I believe that section 5.3 in the e-learning maps to 5.4a of the exam blueprint (Which I actually missed. I thought that was referring to volatile data collection)

I don't feel like the rest of 5.4 on the blueprint was adequately addressed. Feel free to correct me though. I think when they say that it's enough to pass, that doesn't equate to covering all of the objectives. In my experience, exam vendors expect you to do extra research on top of the official reading materials. Although that's moreso true with Microsoft.

There's also things like 3.3 on the exam blueprint and numerous other examples. For me, I'd rather not risk it.

Yeah, I agree with that. I didn't read the entire 79 page NIST doc but I did skim it. I think you got the gist in the eLearning to be honest. Althought my D2D job roles aren't INFOSEC, I do have tasks that I handle for our SOC/NOC and a lot of the SECOPS stuff is reference-level material IMO aside from the hands-on labs.

Section 13 also referenced NIST as well. Just went back and re-read all of the text one last time. Guess we'll see here at 6pm if I was able to do enough. Hopefully I'm did because a potential CISSP opportunity just became available here at work and I want to jump on it.