Options

Who's got two thumbs and is going to SANS VB!!

FillAwfulFillAwful Member Posts: 119 ■■■□□□□□□□
This guy! <----

I will be attending the SEC503 course taught by Kevin Fiscus at SANS Virginia Beach at the end of August.

Thanks to my employer for footing the bill! So excited to finally be attending SANS training and challenging the GCIA.

I will be utilizing all the info posted on TE to help me prepare. I am getting married Sept 10th and then traveling for 8 days. This will give me about 4 weeks to study and prepare for the exam after that. I have been authorized to use work hours, so that should help.

Any other TE members going to be at SANS in Virginia Beach?

Comments

• Options
    TechGromitTechGromit Member Posts: 2,156 ■■■■■■■■■□
    FillAwful wrote: »
    Thanks to my employer for footing the bill! So excited to finally be attending SANS training and challenging the GCIA.

Congratulations, I'm sure you will enjoy SANS training. Usually when someone says they are "challenging" the exam, they mean that are taking the certification exam without attending SANS training. Since you attending training, your not challenging the exam.
    I will be utilizing all the info posted on TE to help me prepare. I am getting married Sept 10th and then traveling for 8 days. This will give me about 4 weeks to study and prepare for the exam after that. I have been authorized to use work hours, so that should help.

Why only 4 weeks? You get 4 months before you have to take you exam. Unless you have prior experience in analyzing network traffic and related log files. I would give yourself more time to study for the exam. I recommend you study two months and build an index before you take your first practice test. If you score close to 85 to 90%, then schedule your exam, if not work on areas you weak on before taking your 2nd practice test.
    Still searching for the corner in a round room.
  • Options
    TechGromit wrote: »
    Congratulations, I'm sure you will enjoy SANS training. Usually when someone says they are "challenging" the exam, they mean that are taking the certification exam without attending SANS training. Since you attending training, your not challenging the exam.

Why only 4 weeks? You get 4 months before you have to take you exam. Unless you have prior experience in analyzing network traffic and related log files. I would give yourself more time to study for the exam. I recommend you study two months and build an index before you take your first practice test. If you score close to 85 to 90%, then schedule your exam, if not work on areas you weak on before taking your 2nd practice test.

Thanks for the correction. Duly noted.

Unfortunately the timeline for sitting (better?) the test is a condition of my employer. Based on their metrics of people procrastinating, not studying, and failing.

Fortunately, analyzing pcap is exactly what I do for my day job. As well as monitoring IDS/IPS sensors, among other things. I feel that 40 hours a week studying and building an index should be sufficient for me.
  • Options
    NetworkNewbNetworkNewb Member Posts: 3,298 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Congratz! The SEC503 definitely look interesting and hope to take it someday myself. icon_cheers.gif
  • Options
    JoJoCal19JoJoCal19 Mod Posts: 2,835 Mod
    Congrats!!!! I did SEC503 with Mike Poor at Virginia Beach last year. Did you get your notification yesterday? I STILL have not heard anything and I've also contacted Stephanie and the Work Study email with zero response. Who did you get your email from? I've got a recommendation from one of the assistant directors there and great reviews from Mike Poor and Dr Cole so I figured I have a good chance. Hope I hear soon.
    Have: CISSP, CISM, CISA, CRISC, eJPT, GCIA, GSEC, CCSP, CCSK, AWS CSAA, AWS CCP, OCI Foundations Associate, ITIL-F, MS Cyber Security - USF, BSBA - UF, MSISA - WGU
    Currently Working On: Python, OSCP Prep
    Next Up:​ OSCP
    Studying:​ Code Academy (Python), Bash Scripting, Virtual Hacking Lab Coursework
  • Options
    636-555-3226636-555-3226 Member Posts: 975 ■■■■■□□□□□
    Congrats. A tip for giving back to your employer - as you sit in class, and as you read the books, keep a separate list out and write down "to-dos" for things to start doing at work. My guess is you'll get 30-50 real-life tips of things to start doing now or schedule for the next 1-3 years. It's amazing how well you immediately get those real-life takeaways from SANS classes.
  • Options
    Congrats!!!! I did SEC503 with Mike Poor at Virginia Beach last year. Did you get your notification yesterday? I STILL have not heard anything and I've also contacted Stephanie and the Work Study email with zero response. Who did you get your email from? I've got a recommendation from one of the assistant directors there and great reviews from Mike Poor and Dr Cole so I figured I have a good chance. Hope I hear soon.

Haven't received anything other than simply registering for the class with a voucher. I am not very familiar with the work study program. Good-Luck to you!
    Congrats. A tip for giving back to your employer - as you sit in class, and as you read the books, keep a separate list out and write down "to-dos" for things to start doing at work. My guess is you'll get 30-50 real-life tips of things to start doing now or schedule for the next 1-3 years. It's amazing how well you immediately get those real-life takeaways from SANS classes.

Great suggestion, thank you! I will definitely do this. I really am beside myself with excitement about SANS for that very reason. It has always seemed so out of reach monetarily, though. I feel very fortunate to be able to attend.

Also, I will be participating in NetWars!
  • Options
    JoJoCal19JoJoCal19 Mod Posts: 2,835 Mod
    Haven't received anything other than simply registering for the class with a voucher. I am not very familiar with the work study program. Good-Luck to you!

Ah I see! I thought you were doing the Work Study program. I wish my employer would get the vouchers so I wouldn't have to go through the Work Study lottery to get in.
    Have: CISSP, CISM, CISA, CRISC, eJPT, GCIA, GSEC, CCSP, CCSK, AWS CSAA, AWS CCP, OCI Foundations Associate, ITIL-F, MS Cyber Security - USF, BSBA - UF, MSISA - WGU
    Currently Working On: Python, OSCP Prep
    Next Up:​ OSCP
    Studying:​ Code Academy (Python), Bash Scripting, Virtual Hacking Lab Coursework
  • Options
    TechGromitTechGromit Member Posts: 2,156 ■■■■■■■■■□
    JoJoCal19 wrote: »
    Ah I see! I thought you were doing the Work Study program. I wish my employer would get the vouchers so I wouldn't have to go through the Work Study lottery to get in.

I may be soon entering the work study lottery as well. I just send an email to management to see if I can get there support. While I can pay for the work study fee myself, having the company pick up the tab for airfare, hotel and meals is a huge help. Also when I pass the certification exam, I will get reimbursed by the company.
    Still searching for the corner in a round room.