Options

GCIA Passed. Fun course!

nopx90nopx90 Member Posts: 20 ■□□□□□□□□□
Passed the exam last week. This was my third workstudy. Hopefully next year I can get my job to pony up the dough so I can fully concentrate on the course... Although, work study is a great place to make some new friends.

A great place to grab some material to study in preparation (reading hex **** of packets):

MalwareJake: Packet analysis practice part 1

Fun course, and the combo of having Dr. Ulrich in-class. Mike Poor (recordings). Worked out really well.

Didn't reference my index much... one tip is to take your time. I rushed thru the first 15 and found myself looking at a 51% after 15 questions.....

Not to worry though, stayed at 80% + the whole way through after that..... (Dang football game had me rushing) Finished the exam in 2:45 out of the allotted 4hrs.

What's next? OSCP, then GXPN or a forensics course.

Comments

• Options
    TechGromitTechGromit Member Posts: 2,156 ■■■■■■■■■□
    nopx90 wrote: »
    Dang football game had me rushing

Now that's a serious sports fan, willing to risk flunking a $1,000 exam so they do not miss the game. icon_lol.gif

Congratulations on the pass.

The important question here is did your team win the game?
    Still searching for the corner in a round room.
  • Options
    cyberguyprcyberguypr Mod Posts: 6,928 Mod
    Technically a "free" exam since he did Work Study.
  • Options
    NetworkNewbNetworkNewb Member Posts: 3,298 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Nice, congrats on the pass!
  • Options
    DAVIS NGUYENDAVIS NGUYEN Member Posts: 1,472 ■■■□□□□□□□
  • Options
    lcapralcapra Registered Users Posts: 2 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Any tips for the other parts outside of packet reading? I found I did really well on that part but horrible on the IDS stuff like snort/bro/silk syntax in the practice tests.
  • Options
    quogue66quogue66 Member Posts: 193 ■■■■□□□□□□
  • Options
    lcapra wrote: »
    Any tips for the other parts outside of packet reading? I found I did really well on that part but horrible on the IDS stuff like snort/bro/silk syntax in the practice tests.

Since I had the On-Demand option available (work study). I rewatched that section 2x. Also, printed man pages for these tools.
  • Options
    Oh we won (Denver Broncos). I was in the 80's ;D If GIAC didn't update your score every 15 questions I would have taken my time.
    TechGromit wrote: »
    Now that's a serious sports fan, willing to risk flunking a $1,000 exam so they do not miss the game. icon_lol.gif

Congratulations on the pass.

The important question here is did your team win the game?
  • Options
    You know darn well that nothing in life is free lol. Those work study days are really long days! I had an average of 20k steps taken during the week, but I won't complain because it's awesomely rewarding and reading packet captures in Hex is dope.!
    cyberguypr wrote: »
    Technically a "free" exam since he did Work Study.
  • Options
    wrstanton3wrstanton3 Registered Users Posts: 2 ■□□□□□□□□□
    This is my first post here but I used this site as a reference to help me. Just passed GCIA yesterday. Know and understand your tcpdump outputs. Know what Bro logs look like. Understand Snort rules. Most importantly, TAB YOUR MATERIAL! Look up the pancake method of tabbing. It works well.
  • Options
    wrstanton3wrstanton3 Registered Users Posts: 2 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Sorry, forgot the quote.
    lcapra wrote: »