How to prepare for GCIH exam?

yyangcsyyangcs Registered Users Posts: 2 ■□□□□□□□□□
Hello,

I plan to take GCIH exam by the end of this year and SANS courses are just too expensive for me. Have anyone passed the exam without actually taking SEC504? I wonder if there is any good book available for this exam or any other helpful material? My background is:

1. OSCP certification
2. Just started to work in IR team about 6 months ago and have some experience on malware analysis

I think GCIH certification might be very helpful for me to grow my career but not sure how hard it is and what kind of materials available to prepare for it. Any suggestions are appreciated. Thanks.

Comments

• grouchy_Smurfgrouchy_Smurf Member Posts: 15 ■□□□□□□□□□
    yyangcs wrote: »
    Hello,

I plan to take GCIH exam by the end of this year and SANS courses are just too expensive for me. Have anyone passed the exam without actually taking SEC504? I wonder if there is any good book available for this exam or any other helpful material? My background is:

1. OSCP certification
    2. Just started to work in IR team about 6 months ago and have some experience on malware analysis

I think GCIH certification might be very helpful for me to grow my career but not sure how hard it is and what kind of materials available to prepare for it. Any suggestions are appreciated. Thanks.

Have you thought about the SANS work study program or tried to apply for work study? 1,100 or 1,200 is a lot cheaper and allows you to help others as you learn.
  • Mike7Mike7 Member Posts: 1,107 ■■■■□□□□□□
    You can try the short quiz as mentioned at http://www.techexams.net/forums/sans-institute-giac-certifications/109519-sans-short-quiz-gcih-gsec-gslc-50-questions.html.

FWIW, I got around 80% for GSEC without using any guides.
  • yyangcsyyangcs Registered Users Posts: 2 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I was thinking about work study program but the chance of being selected seems to be desperate.
  • cyberguyprcyberguypr Mod Posts: 6,928 Mod
    As a five time Work Study veteran, I can tell you it is possible. Won't lose anything trying.
  • E Double UE Double U Member Posts: 2,228 ■■■■■■■■■■
    yyangcs wrote: »
    I was thinking about work study program but the chance of being selected seems to be desperate.

Even if chances are slim, the fact that there is a chance should motivate you to go for it.
    Alphabet soup from (ISC)2, ISACA, GIAC, EC-Council, Microsoft, ITIL, Cisco, Scrum, CompTIA, AWS
  • quogue66quogue66 Member Posts: 193 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I was able to get into work study in March and it was a great experience. I think your chances of getting in depend on where you're willing to go to and what class you want. I imagine GCIH is a pretty sought after class.