Options

GCIH - question and prep

IaHawkIaHawk Member Posts: 188 ■■■□□□□□□□
I'll be attending SEC504 (with John Strand) at SANS Security East in New Orleans (1/9-1/14). This particular event provides Core Netwars free for anyone taking a 5-6 day course. This is my first live course so I am looking forward to the interaction with others, SANS@Night events and Netwars on Thur/Fri night.

One question I have is it worth adding the Continuous Netwars for $1199? I plan on adding the OnDemand bundle for $689 and that says it includes "lab access", would that be anything like Netwars or is that something else? Work is paying for the training but I will need to justify the additional expense, so I wanted to get others' thoughts.

Any other recommendations on things to do to prepare for this course and live training? My background is 5 years as a server admin and 2 years as a Security Analyst. I plan on going through a few courses on cybrary to help prepare with a focus on Linux.

Thanks for any input!

Comments

• Options
    E Double UE Double U Member Posts: 2,232 ■■■■■■■■■■
    The continuous NetWars isn't necessary to pass the exam, but could be nice to have to sharpen your skills for the real world. I think your background is enough prep plus the instructor will teach you enough Linux the first night to get you through the course.

Good luck!
    Alphabet soup from (ISC)2, ISACA, GIAC, EC-Council, Microsoft, ITIL, Cisco, Scrum, CompTIA, AWS
  • Options
    mudflapsmudflaps Member Posts: 75 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I did the vLive with him, and you will be just fine. They break concepts down into understandable portions for most everyone.
  • Options
    BillHooBillHoo Member Posts: 207 ■■■□□□□□□□
    When I registered for the course, I initially checked off the the netwars box thinking it was necessary for the course.

Afterward, I had to jump thru some mild hoops to cancel and get a refund. It was hard enough to get my work to approve and reimburse me for the course. (even though they were requiring it)

My company and many others have a limit of $5250 they wil reimburse for training. They say it is because anything more than that and it would have to be taxed as income. I had to pay out of pocket for anything over that amount.
  • Options
    quogue66quogue66 Member Posts: 193 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Anything over $5250 is the what is taxed for my tuition assistance at work so that sounds correct.
  • Options
    TechGromitTechGromit Member Posts: 2,156 ■■■■■■■■■□
    BillHoo wrote: »
    My company and many others have a limit of $5250 they wil reimburse for training. They say it is because anything more than that and it would have to be taxed as income. I had to pay out of pocket for anything over that amount.

So if a course cost $5,251, does the entire amount get taxes as income? or only the $1 over the limit?
    Still searching for the corner in a round room.
  • Options
    quogue66quogue66 Member Posts: 193 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I believe only the amount over 5250 gets taxed.
  • Options
    IaHawkIaHawk Member Posts: 188 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Back to the original topic...:)...any other feedback on prep for GCIH? I think I'm going to pass on Continuous Netwars.