Options

GIAC removing the progress meter during exams

quogue66quogue66 Member Posts: 193 ■■■■□□□□□□
There was a recent discussion on the GIAC advisory board that GIAC has done away with the score progress meter that shows while you are taking an exam. Your score will no longer be visible while you are taking an exam. This went into effect on 9/26/16. I believe it applies to all classes that are started after this date. It was mentioned that this was necessary to maintain ANSI accreditation.

Comments

• Options
    KalabasterKalabaster Member Posts: 86 ■■□□□□□□□□
    RIOT! Fight the man! Don't let them keep us down! This is just another example of the violence inherent in our system!
    Certifications: A+, Net+, Sec+, Project+, Linux+/LPIC-1/SUSE CLA, C|EH, eWPT, GMON, GWAPT, GCIH, eCPPT, GPEN, GXPN, OSCP, CISSP.
    WGU, BS-IT, Security: C178, C255, C100, C132, C164, C173, C172, C480, C455, ORA1, C182, C168, C394, C393, C451, C698, C697, C176, C456, C483, C170, C175, C169, C299, C246, C247, C376, C179, C278, C459, C463, C435, C436.
    Legend: Completed, In-Progress, Next
  • Options
    IaHawkIaHawk Member Posts: 188 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I don't think its a big deal. I liked having it but that won't stop me from taking the GCIH in a few months.
  • Options
    cyberguyprcyberguypr Mod Posts: 6,928 Mod
    Yeah, read it this morning. Not a big issue in my eyes. All the checkpoint did for me was make me not pay much attention to the last block of questions if my score was very high.
  • Options
    quogue66quogue66 Member Posts: 193 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I never used it so it doesn't matter to me but there were a lot of people on the advisory board that were displeased about the change.
  • Options
    636-555-3226636-555-3226 Member Posts: 975 ■■■■■□□□□□
    I found the checkpoint very useful and am sad to see it go

Pros if you're doing well on the test - helps you feel at ease & calms you down more
    Pros if you're doing poorly on the test - you know to try harder

Cons if you're doing well on the test - none
    Cons if you're doing poorly on the test - none

Other than some org is making them arbitrarily remove it, I think it's a bad idea. It's an awesome feature and everybody I know who has taken a GIAC test has said its a cool feature and they're glad its in there. I've never heard anybody complain that it's of no value and a waste of space
  • Options
    iBrokeITiBrokeIT Member Posts: 1,318 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Other than some org is making them arbitrarily remove it, I think it's a bad idea. It's an awesome feature and everybody I know who has taken a GIAC test has said its a cool feature and they're glad its in there. I've never heard anybody complain that it's of no value and a waste of space

Way to completely gloss over the reason why the change was made. The actual choice was to keep the "cool feature" or remain ANSI/ISO/IEC 17024 certified. The choice was pretty obvious when you consider which one actually adds more value to their certifications.
    2019: GPEN | GCFE | GXPN | GICSP | CySA+ 
    2020: GCIP | GCIA 
    2021: GRID | GDSA | Pentest+ 
    2022: GMON | GDAT
    2023: GREM  | GSE | GCFA

WGU BS IT-NA | SANS Grad Cert: PT&EH | SANS Grad Cert: ICS Security | SANS Grad Cert: Cyber Defense Ops SANS Grad Cert: Incident Response
  • Options
    JoJoCal19JoJoCal19 Mod Posts: 2,835 Mod
    Disappointed they are taking it away. While I didn't need to check it on the GSEC other than to see if I was hitting the magical 90% mark, it really helped me on the GCIA. As was mentioned, it helped with nerves.
    Have: CISSP, CISM, CISA, CRISC, eJPT, GCIA, GSEC, CCSP, CCSK, AWS CSAA, AWS CCP, OCI Foundations Associate, ITIL-F, MS Cyber Security - USF, BSBA - UF, MSISA - WGU
    Currently Working On: Python, OSCP Prep
    Next Up:​ OSCP
    Studying:​ Code Academy (Python), Bash Scripting, Virtual Hacking Lab Coursework
  • Options
    TechGromitTechGromit Member Posts: 2,156 ■■■■■■■■■□
    I found the checkpoint very useful and am sad to see it go

I agree, if you found it distracting, you could always cover it up with a post it note.
    Still searching for the corner in a round room.
  • Options
    beadsbeads Member Posts: 1,531 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Did exams with and without. Not a fan nor critic. I never took a SANS exam not expecting to pass under 85 percent. 90 is nice but never anything I worry about either way. Your probably seeing the reaction to too many folks panicking over a slow or bad start and simply bailing on the exam because they start off in a hole.

- b/eads
  • Options
    gwood113gwood113 Member Posts: 66 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I didn't care that it went away until i took a test without it. Still did well, but i missed the periodic azimuth check.
  • Options
    jg372jg372 Member Posts: 22 ■■□□□□□□□□
    So just to confirm, if you take a GIAC test, the checkpoint score is no longer there? I took a practice one yesterday and it was...

My proctored exam is next week.
  • Options
    IaHawkIaHawk Member Posts: 188 ■■■□□□□□□□
    If you purchased the test before 9/26 it will still be there.