Options

Those who took GCIH/GCIA and passed, Could you recommend Resources for study?

Abdullah.AAAbdullah.AA Member Posts: 50 ■■□□□□□□□□
having a basic understanding of networks and security, could you recommend resources other than the official material that is.

Comments

• Options
    E Double UE Double U Member Posts: 2,229 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Besides on the job experience, the materials provided during SANS training were all I used for the GCIH.
    Alphabet soup from (ISC)2, ISACA, GIAC, EC-Council, Microsoft, ITIL, Cisco, Scrum, CompTIA, AWS
  • Options
    FillAwfulFillAwful Member Posts: 119 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I can only speak for GCIA. I agree with EW, the only materials I used for GCIA were what SANS provided. The **** sheets were very necessary for quickly checking packet offsets. I did find this blog MalwareJake: Packet analysis practice part 1 where the author provides some practice questions for hex packet analysis. You should be able to do these types of questions quickly and without much effort to pass the GCIA. Any materials to supplement understanding of Snort and Bro could be helpful, but I have no proven resources. The SANS material is ample to cover the exam (as it should be) and is worth acquiring. Good luck!
  • Options
    Abdullah.AAAbdullah.AA Member Posts: 50 ■■□□□□□□□□
    FillAwful wrote: »
    I can only speak for GCIA. I agree with EW, the only materials I used for GCIA were what SANS provided. The **** sheets were very necessary for quickly checking packet offsets. I did find this blog MalwareJake: Packet analysis practice part 1 where the author provides some practice questions for hex packet analysis. You should be able to do these types of questions quickly and without much effort to pass the GCIA. Any materials to supplement understanding of Snort and Bro could be helpful, but I have no proven resources. The SANS material is ample to cover the exam (as it should be) and is worth acquiring. Good luck!
    E Double U wrote: »
    Besides on the job experience, the materials provided during SANS training were all I used for the GCIH.

I was hoping I can do the work study program, but Its not in my region, so I'm trying my best with the GCIH first, then i'll go after the GCIA.
  • Options
    spk001spk001 Member Posts: 7 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I know it may be resurrecting the thread, but I just did GCIH tonight, based on the SANS materials alone and about an 1800 item index. It probably helped I did 506/GCUX before 504 as well.
  • Options
    SaSkillerSaSkiller Member Posts: 337 ■■■□□□□□□□
    We have a thread on study resources and I know both of these are in there.
    OSWP, GPEN, GWAPT, GCIH, CPT, CCENT, CompTIA Trio.
  • Options
    NovaHaxNovaHax Member Posts: 502 ■■■■□□□□□□