Options

Failed my ITIL foundation exam

YkguyYkguy Member Posts: 6 ■□□□□□□□□□
Feeling pretty bummed out. Got 23/40 questions. I used Grey Campus course and voucher (it was 50% off). Couldn't stand the narrator so I watched CBTNugget video series. Read some online stuff. Thought I was ready. I found the questions really ambiguous.

Not sure what to do next. Study and write again in a few weeks or forget about it. Can anyone recommend course materials ?

Does anyone know the cheapest place for exam voucher?

Comments

• Options
    OctalDumpOctalDump Member Posts: 1,722
    Yeah, the ITIL exams can be ambiguous unless you really know your stuff. Understanding the exact ITIL meaning of terms is quite important, making it hard to make an intelligent guess unless you are familiar with ITIL's language.

I'd suggest the book ITIL Lifecycle Essentials by Clair Agutter. It's a bit more than what you need for ITIL Foundations, but that's a good thing since it drives home the basics a bit more.
    2017 Goals - Something Cisco, Something Linux, Agile PM
  • Options
    scaredoftestsscaredoftests Mod Posts: 2,780 Mod
    I hated this exam. I agree, the questions are so vague. Read up on your terms again and again. Good luck.
    Never let your fear decide your fate....
  • Options
    NavyMooseCCNANavyMooseCCNA Member Posts: 544 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I just passed this exam back in June. It was harder than the practice exams I had been taking. Keep studying the weak areas and you'll knock it out!

'My dear you are ugly, but tomorrow I shall be sober and you will still be ugly' Winston Churchil

• Options
    YkguyYkguy Member Posts: 6 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Thanks everyone. The practice exams were nowhere close to the exam. I would estimate that maybe 10% of the questions were on the exam It gave me a false sense of security. And the fact that everyone says it is easy and only requires a few weeks of study time Maybe the exam has been changed because it threw me off.
  • Options
    scaredoftestsscaredoftests Mod Posts: 2,780 Mod
    I had that issue as well with the practice. Nowhere near. This was back in 2014 when I took the exam.
    Never let your fear decide your fate....
  • Options
    tmtextmtex Member Posts: 326 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I stated in other threads. I took a class, I am/was a service desk manager, studied up and down, passed practice tests with ease. Took the test in May, barely failed. When I took the test it was nothing like any practice tests. I was totally lost. I also feel I know ITIL. About to do it again. If anyone has links to discounts that would be appreciated.
  • Options
    ItsmHarunItsmHarun Member Posts: 178
    Keep studying the weak areas and you'll knock it out! again.
  • Options
    OctalDumpOctalDump Member Posts: 1,722
    tmtex wrote: »
    If anyone has links to discounts that would be appreciated.

PeopleCert has 20% sale on vouchers.
    2017 Goals - Something Cisco, Something Linux, Agile PM
  • Options
    JoJoCal19JoJoCal19 Mod Posts: 2,835 Mod
    I found the exam to be really straight forward and easy. I never took any practice tests though so I didn't have any expectations for the actual exam.

The exam is simple in what it covers and while I think Liz Gallacher's book is a great book for ITIL, I think it's best as a reference guide for applying the knowledge. I used only one book and that Was Claire Agutter's book, ITIL Foundation Essentials: The Exam Facts You Need. It covers everything for the exam and not a word more. Its like 120 (small) pages and can easily be read in one day. I just read it a few times and passed with an 88. I highly recommend her book to PASS the exam. After that a good read through of Liz' book would be good to give deeper insight into ITIL at the foundation level.
    Have: CISSP, CISM, CISA, CRISC, eJPT, GCIA, GSEC, CCSP, CCSK, AWS CSAA, AWS CCP, OCI Foundations Associate, ITIL-F, MS Cyber Security - USF, BSBA - UF, MSISA - WGU
    Currently Working On: Python, OSCP Prep
    Next Up:​ OSCP
    Studying:​ Code Academy (Python), Bash Scripting, Virtual Hacking Lab Coursework
  • Options
    cc.chencc.chen Registered Users Posts: 3 ■□□□□□□□□□
    thank you for shared your info. actually I am studying same thing as yours because 50% off. can I please ask a question here. have you used any **** before take exam??
  • Options
    JoJoCal19JoJoCal19 Mod Posts: 2,835 Mod
    cc.chen wrote: »
    thank you for shared your info. actually I am studying same thing as yours because 50% off. can I please ask a question here. have you used any **** before take exam??

Nope never used any ****. And it's highly frowned down upon here at TechExams. Study and learn the material and do it the right way.
    Have: CISSP, CISM, CISA, CRISC, eJPT, GCIA, GSEC, CCSP, CCSK, AWS CSAA, AWS CCP, OCI Foundations Associate, ITIL-F, MS Cyber Security - USF, BSBA - UF, MSISA - WGU
    Currently Working On: Python, OSCP Prep
    Next Up:​ OSCP
    Studying:​ Code Academy (Python), Bash Scripting, Virtual Hacking Lab Coursework
  • Options
    LoganthanLoganthan Registered Users Posts: 2 ■□□□□□□□□□
    HI ,

I need to know my ITIL @2011 foundation exam code , i have completed my ITIL with APMG but no one is aware of the exam code , please help
  • Options
    A.WA.W Registered Users Posts: 2 ■□□□□□□□□□
    JoJoCal19 wrote: »
    I used only one book and that Was Claire Agutter's book, ITIL Foundation Essentials: The Exam Facts You Need. It covers everything for the exam and not a word more. Its like 120 (small) pages and can easily be read in one day.

I was looking for a quick resource as I feel I have a decent grasp of ITIL but not 100% up to speed with all the terminology as of yet so have taken your advice and grabbed Claire Agutter's book and will post back and see if my goal to pass in one or 2 weeks comes to fruition.

Thank you for the information JoJoCal19.
  • Options
    DH44MAG2DH44MAG2 Member Posts: 37 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I found the eLearning at PassionIT Group (https://www.passionitgroup.com) to be exceptional and it is only $40 per class for 30-Days access (plenty of time to go through the material).
  • Options
    Jlosmall@comcastJlosmall@comcast Registered Users Posts: 1 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Failed ITIL foundations exam. Took class with Centriq. 3 day class and take exam on last day. Can't recommend that approach....need time to study. Will try to buckle down and study and retake.
  • Options
    TheWeathermanTheWeatherman Member Posts: 24 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Note that ITIL was/is developed by the UK Government. What I am saying is that US English and UK English are similar YET different.
    I am not sure if anyone else has made the observation but t
    he exams are written in a way a British man would best understand yet would sound confusing to us Americans as we comprehend it another way. In a way, it comes down to semantics.

Damn thee proper English! icon_mrgreen.gif
  • Options
    Liz GallacherLiz Gallacher Member Posts: 107
    I don't think that it is a question of US/UK English. Since 2007, there have been many US contributors to the core books, and US spelling was adopted in the ITIL books. The move to multiple choice after Foundation was also to satisfy the USA, as the essay-style answers of the V2 Managers were thought too difficult.
    UK students complain about the language used as well!
  • Options
    tallmaktallmak Member Posts: 11 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I took my Foundations last month and I didn't have any issues with understanding the questions. Were there a few I had to reread for comprehension, sure. I wanted to make sure there weren't any trip words like NOT, BEST and things like that. I personally thought most of the questions were straight forward. Yes, there was UK spelling on the test but nothing I thought was tricky. I probably would have done better if I went through the test again but usually I end up changing a correct answer. lol.

Just take your time. An hour is plenty of time for this test. So no need to rush. I used Liz's book and Claire's little green book and they both worked great for studying.