Options

Would ITIL be worthwhile?

L_D_GL_D_G Member Posts: 32 ■■□□□□□□□□
I am currently working on my CompTIA A+ Certification and from there plan on moving towards Security and/or Network. Should I consider going down the ITIL road as well? Foundation and A+ each sound like the entry level of their respective certifiers, but I don't know how similar the info would be.

Something to consider: I live in Omaha where we have StratCom and a number of contractors, so something to help me stand out wouldn't be terrible...just not sure if that something should be ITIL.

Thanks!

Comments

• Options
    DatabaseHeadDatabaseHead Member Posts: 2,753 ■■■■■■■■■■
    What type of work do you want to do?

Impossible question to answer with any accuracy if we don't know your direction.
  • Options
    p@r0tuXusp@r0tuXus Member Posts: 532 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Being from the Midwest also, I can tell you a lot of companies are going the way of ITIL. It's a best practice policy framework that is supposed to overlay an organization so they can attune to it and operate more efficiently. The subject matter is very broad and the concepts seem very common-sense in approach. The application of this information is essential if you're any kind of manager or project manager. I think Account Execs should probably also have a solid sense of the foundation material. I can't see the information being any kind of overlap to A+, but it would be a good compliment as it would be attractive to larger organizations. Remember this, it's a lifetime certification and organizations can't be certified - only individuals. The test was expensive (~300 USD) and ridiculously worded to be overly difficult. I guess they think it will make it more coveted if it is hard to achieve.
    Completed: ITIL-F, A+, S+, CCENT, CCNA R|S
    In Progress: Linux+/LPIC-1, Python, Bash
    Upcoming: eJPT, C|EH, CSA+, CCNA-Sec, PA-ACE
  • Options
    PC509PC509 Member Posts: 804 ■■■■■■□□□□
    I was thinking about doing it myself. I started on some Lynda.com couses for it. Very dry subject matter. It makes sense, it's usable in my current position (and future ones), but it's tough to stay focused. Project+ was not even this bad. :)

If you're going into management, I'd say go for it. For the lower level tech stuff, it's nice to have the basic ideas of ITIL, but I'm not so sure if the cert would really get you the technician jobs...

I haven't taken the exam yet (it's a 2017 goal) for foundations.
  • Options
    What type of work do you want to do?

Impossible question to answer with any accuracy if we don't know your direction.

Current aim is to just get a help desk position. Long term, I'm thinking cyber security. Either way, I'd like it to be for a govt contractor.

Perhaps it is something I will look at after A+ (I'm 2/3 through 901). If it's a lifetime cert and it's being everyone here recommends it for execs and managers, it would probably help long term. Would ITIL Foundations be the ones to go for then? I've been using Safari Books Online and they appear to have a video course July 2015 taught by Jill Knapp.
  • Options
    OctalDumpOctalDump Member Posts: 1,722
    Yes, ITIL Foundation is good for anyone working in IT. It helps to put the technical work into the broader context of the business. It is very useful to be able to relate what IT does to the rest of the business, to be able to talk about the value you and your work brings. It's useful for your career and getting work, beyond just having another cert. Some helpdesk roles will explicitly ask for the certification, but even if they don't it's still useful to be able to understand the language of SLAs, lifecycles, business managers, continuous improvement etc.

I've found that some IT people get caught up in the bubble of their world, playing with tech, and find it hard to see the big picture. If you are looking at InfoSec, then this is really important, otherwise you can fall into the trap of wanting to secure everything at all costs, acting as an isolated expert, and not being able to talk the business language.
    2017 Goals - Something Cisco, Something Linux, Agile PM
  • Options
    EANxEANx Member Posts: 1,077 ■■■■■■■■□□
    L_D_G wrote: »
    Current aim is to just get a help desk position. Long term, I'm thinking cyber security. Either way, I'd like it to be for a govt contractor.

Perhaps it is something I will look at after A+ (I'm 2/3 through 901). If it's a lifetime cert and it's being everyone here recommends it for execs and managers, it would probably help long term. Would ITIL Foundations be the ones to go for then? I've been using Safari Books Online and they appear to have a video course July 2015 taught by Jill Knapp.

I'd say get the job in helpdesk first and get better in that role before looking at ITIL. As was mentioned, it's a big-picture framework which is always good info for anyone in IT but unless you are seeing jobs requiring Foundation, it's something you can bolt on after A+ and whatever else you feel you need to solidify your job. Starting it too early would be like starting a painting without having that underlying knowledge of perspective and brush strokes.
  • Options
    Russ5813Russ5813 Member Posts: 123 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I certified in ITIL-F because a lot of IT jobs in my area either required or preferred the certification. Not a terribly difficult test, especially if you have a little experience in project management-type roles. It's a significantly smaller time investment compared to most other IT certs. Do some job searching and see what qualifications are in demand for your area to get a better understanding of what you may focus on.
  • Options
    tmtextmtex Member Posts: 326 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Yes its a must, especially if your just starting out. Many places require it, even though then don't know what it is. It will also get you passed the screening process. As others have said its fairly easy but boring. I will admit I failed it at 60% (65% required). I found it tricky, hard to read/understand. Nothing like the practice tests. It will be a beating, I am redoing it now and I have plenty of experience using it.

Go to CBTNuggets and sign up for the free 7 day trail but cancel before you 7th day and do the ITIL in there.
  • Options
    DatabaseHeadDatabaseHead Member Posts: 2,753 ■■■■■■■■■■
    As a generalist I think the ITIL Foundations can help, management seems to like it. As you move up the ranks it becomes less important, at least in data and development, no one even knows what it is.....
  • Options
    crip1087crip1087 Member Posts: 37 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I would highly recommend getting the ITIL Foundations certification. I received mine in 2014, when I was not in IT yet (still working retail). However, the certification helped me land a Desktop Support Analyst gig at a state university (where I am now). The hiring manager was impressed with the certification, and asked several questions about it. Of course it also helped that it is a massive university, so ITIL Standards are preached by everyone in senior management here. Just my experience so I know it varies, but it gave me a great understanding of IT Service Management.
  • Options
    OctalDumpOctalDump Member Posts: 1,722
    As a generalist I think the ITIL Foundations can help, management seems to like it. As you move up the ranks it becomes less important, at least in data and development, no one even knows what it is.....

I think maybe in the data realm you are more like to be involved in the consumption of IT services rather than deliver or other parts of the service lifecycle. But the big general idea behind ITIL, that IT provides value through services to business, is relevant in whatever capacity.

I think it's still useful to understand the bigger picture, so that you can see where your role and your work fits. Handy if you ever need to justify what you are doing to the business in a common language "you can't downsize me. I do x, which allows you to do y, which is how you make money. No me, no x, no y, no money", or in job interviews "I can do x, which will allow you to do y and z more effectively, making you lots of money. So $175k package is really quite cheap for what I am offering".
    2017 Goals - Something Cisco, Something Linux, Agile PM
  • Options
    PocketLumberjackPocketLumberjack Member Posts: 162 ■■■□□□□□□□
    ITIL helped me get on a Incident Process review team even though I am only on the help desk. I am the only level one employee on the team and it will be a great chance for improving our ticketing software and escalation process. Honestly study hard for 2 weeks to a month and take the exam, it's not to hard and shows your interested in more than just fixing stuff.
    Learn some thing new every day, but don’t forget to review things you know.
  • Options
    n4pst3rn4pst3r Member Posts: 15 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Hi...

Though i'm not yet ITIL certified, I work much with it as a Level 1 tech support and I come to deal with level 2 guys from different fields(networking, system, database, storage), the exchange of information, procedures and processes are really tough and crucial and without a good base orchestrating all that we loose effectiveness in delivering quality service to our customers.

Now depending on the field in which you work and your company is, there is always the need for a framework for IT related issues...Can't imagine ITs working without a framework such ITIL.

One nice thing to know is...consider ITIL if you have issues related with responsabilities(who does what, who is responsible/accountable for that), process and procedures, escalations. Well operations. Doesn't deal much with tech specs, risk management, auditing

I beleive ITIL knowledge shall be a must for most job qualification in a few years
    Certification Goals 2017
    LPIC-1
    CCNA-RS
    ITILv3 2011-F
  • Options
    Many of the job postings I'm seeing lately are just asking for A+, Sec+, Net+ within 6 months of hire. That tells me ITIL isn't part of requirements quite yet, but that doesn't mean it won't be asked of me for the next step. Judging by everyone's thoughts here, it sounds like ITIL will be a requirement down the line. I'm not quite ready to take it now and might gauge the local IT job market after getting A+ to see if I should continue with CompTIA stuff or reinforce the A+ foundation with ITIL. The lifetime license for ITIL doesn't hurt either. Then again, maybe more experience will help in passing ITIL since the verbiage seems to get to people.
  • Options
    mbarrettmbarrett Member Posts: 397 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Having a good working knowledge of ITIL will help you stand out from the crowd, especially for the Government or larger companies. It shows you have good organizational/process awareness beyond whatever other background you have.
  • Options
    VeritiesVerities Member Posts: 1,162
    ITIL knowledge is almost necessary for large IT organizations. Its also appears in job searches when I look for lead/senior positions. As others have said, the knowledge learned from the ITIL process is very useful for anyone in IT as it assists you in taking a process oriented approach to managing IT assets/lifecycles.
  • Options
    mbarrett wrote: »
    Having a good working knowledge of ITIL will help you stand out from the crowd, especially for the Government or larger companies. It shows you have good organizational/process awareness beyond whatever other background you have.

That's what I'm thinking...and standing out can't hurt in this case. However I also feel that there isn't a huge time crunch since I'm on the outside trying to get in and ITIL is more a qualification for higher ups.

I think once I get A+, I'll look at Net+ and Sec+. Then ITIL. I don't see how I'd get any kind of leadership role, regardless of qualifications without experience.
  • Options
    ItsmHarunItsmHarun Member Posts: 178
    ITIL knowledge is almost necessary for large IT organizations. So best Luck .
  • Options
    SidingtonsSidingtons Registered Users Posts: 2 ■□□□□□□□□□
    It's a really easy exam. You won't need to commit too much time to study. Like others have said the material is very dry though.

The IT department that I work for heavily uses the ITIL framework. To me it's of benefit to actually know what my boss is talking about when he's explaining why, for example, we need to put a change request through, why documentation and asset management is so important, why you need an OLA with the finance department, etc.

With ITIL Foundations you won't be implementing many of the things you learn about. Think about it as a common language.

Again, this has been mentioned too, but I've seen job posting for senior positions and technical / engineering positions that ask for ITIL (presumably because in a larger organisation, the helpdesk will escalate the job to the appropriate engineer - that's my guess).

Good luck.
  • Options
    jazz_01jazz_01 Member Posts: 65 ■■■□□□□□□□
    ITIL seems to be in a large amount of job requirements (always like to keep myself up to date on what people are looking for). For anyone who has either taken ITIL or is certified in it, do you figure that it is worth having? I am using uCertify online resource for my ITIL preparation.
  • Options
    UncleBUncleB Member Posts: 417
    It is worth having if you work in IT as it is all about understanding Best Practice and following a common set of terminology (incident, problem, change etc), and most companies (well in the UK anyway) are using it to some extent.

I took the set of exams for Expert certification a few years ago and it has been instrumental in landing some lucrative gigs at companies that want to get their service teams aligned to the right sort of standards - and it certainly earned me more than it cost me in 1 year when you factor in the higher salary.

Foundation level is where most people will be and for the sake of the exam fee, it is a very common tick box to get past the hiring filter and actually get an interview, so it should set you above people who may actually know more about nuts and bolts techie stuff in this regard when it comes to getting to be interviewed. Once you have the face time with the hiring manager then you can dazzle them with what a good cultural fit you are...
  • Options
    SweenMachineSweenMachine Member Posts: 300 ■■■■□□□□□□
    L_D_G wrote: »
    That's what I'm thinking...and standing out can't hurt in this case. However I also feel that there isn't a huge time crunch since I'm on the outside trying to get in and ITIL is more a qualification for higher ups.

I think once I get A+, I'll look at Net+ and Sec+. Then ITIL. I don't see how I'd get any kind of leadership role, regardless of qualifications without experience.

I sort of disagree with this. And let me first say that I am ITIL V3, and the organization I direct has implemented a ITSM / ITIL framework to our service delivery. If i was searching for a new technician to work under my team, I would want technical certifications or experience. If I was looking for a manager, I would look for ITIL - Having ITIL at the technician level (to me at least, ymmv) I see someone who is going to possibly be combative with the processes that I have implemented.

This is just a devils advocate position. If you were qualified that wouldn't keep me from hiring you, but I am always a little iffy with candidates who have certs like ITIL or CAPM/PMP before they have any large work experience.

-scott