Options

Need help with info sec job search

cbm1442cbm1442 Member Posts: 12 ■■■□□□□□□□
Hello Everyone,

I am having issues with my job search. I am not happy with my current job because it comes with a high amount of stress and not enough pay. Plus it is a one year contract. The job is also a networking position and that is something I am not interested in. I was only offered the position because I have my CCNA and CCNA:Security. I have been trying to find a job in security for some time but I am not having any luck. I do not get contacted for most of the positions I apply for and the ones that do usually don't make it past the phone interview. I am even searching for jobs out of state. I have attached my resume so people can review it and give me any advice they have.

Any advice people can give me towards my info sec job search would be greatly appreciated.

resume.doc

Comments

• Options
    DatabaseHeadDatabaseHead Member Posts: 2,753 ■■■■■■■■■■
    I did some research lately in regards to security positions.

In summary, CISSP was the most favorable certification for any security job title. ~45% of ALL security jobs requires or preferred. Second on MOST security jobs was the C|EH at ~10% all security jobs required or preferred.

I'l review your resume as well and see if I can find any show stoppers.
  • Options
    Looks like you have the C|EH smart investment.

Updated the resume take a look.

I have done quite a bit of hiring in my career and just recently. I have switched completely, I used to be the BIGGEST advocate for a summary or professional objective. I am 100% against that now, people don't have time to read BS fluff anymore.

If your experience is number 1 then list it first. If you experience is so-so but you graduated from Harvard list it first. Whatever is more prestigous etc should be listed first IMO. I always try to keep it to one page. 3 - 4 pages is really strange......... I even stay away from 2 pages again I never look at the second page personally when interviewing.
  • Options
    Made a few more changes as well.

I wouldn't list your graduation dates, just listed you graduated. Of course your masters is different it's in-progress so you will want to call that out

These are just some ideas. Resume building is more an art than a science.