Options

Itil cert

EdgraEdgra Member Posts: 18 ■□□□□□□□□□
hi I was wondering about this ver ertification it seems that about 85 percent of job postings regarding desktop or sys admin positions require it, is it highly valued by organizations?

Comments

• Options
    OctalDumpOctalDump Member Posts: 1,722
    ITIL Foundation gives you a baseline knowledge of the ITIL framework. The ITIL framework is a set of best practices for IT to improve the value they deliver to business.

Lots of companies ask for it to make sure that IT people understand how IT supports the business, even in organisations that don't have much of the ITIL framework explicitly implemented. There is some anxiety in business that IT people don't understand the business and are poor communicators etc (it's a stereotype and not exactly accurate, but that's the context of a lot of business).

As an IT worker it also helps you to be able to better communicate what value you bring to the organisation. So you instead of saying "I upgraded your email server" you can say something more like "I improved the security and availability of the email service, and provided these new features that will better enable staff to do x, y and z, improving our organisational productivity and agility". It also makes things like change control (change management) really explicit, so you can better consider the impact of a change on the organisation. And helps you understand why the business might not want to invest money in a new service or upgrades and how you can address those concerns.

It's fairly easy to get certification, so it's worthwhile.
    2017 Goals - Something Cisco, Something Linux, Agile PM
  • Options
    EdgraEdgra Member Posts: 18 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Thanks so much for your reply that answers my questions.
  • Options
    ItsmHarunItsmHarun Member Posts: 178
    i agree with Octal ****! ITIL Foundation is the basic stage or baseline of ITIL Framework.
  • Options
    packetphilterpacketphilter Member Posts: 85 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I've read over ITIL cert descriptions on their website, but I'm still unclear as to exactly what it certifies. I suppose I have trouble wrapping my head around some of the abstractions in the explanations.
  • Options
    genxfinalrevisiongenxfinalrevision Member Posts: 37 ■■□□□□□□□□
    ITIL Foundation certifies that you have an entry-level understanding of the concepts of ITIL - that it can broken down into stages and in each of those stages there are defined roles and processes that fit together to create a framework.

To give an analogy, ITIL Foundation is like "hey, there are eggs in the world." As you progress through Practitioner, Intermediate and on, you learn that you can fry the egg, poach the egg, just have the whites or the yolks, or even combine it with other ingredients to make non-eggy things like cookies.
  • Options
    mgeoffriaumgeoffriau Member Posts: 162 ■■■□□□□□□□
    It's a services framework. So, yes, it is very abstract. But the value is in providing a common set of terms, common definitions of those terms, and a common structure for how those terms interact.

Think about an IT department and how it is viewed by the rest of the organization (or by its external customers). How does the IT dept define what services it offers? How does it handle requests for new services? How are new services integrated into existing services? How does the IT dept measure whether a service is meeting the needs of the organization or customer? How does the IT dept know when a service can be retired or a project can be closed?

ITIL answers those kinds of questions by providing a framework. In concrete terms, each organization has to determine exactly how and to what extent it's going to implement the ITIL framework, but having employees that are familiar with it makes planning and communication easier.
    CISSP || A+ || Network+ || Security+ || Project+ || Linux+ || Healthcare IT Technician || ITIL Foundation v3 || CEH || CHFI
    M.S. Cybersecurity and Information Assurance, WGU
  • Options
    nam.dokenam.doke Member Posts: 7 ■□□□□□□□□□
    ITIL certification is one of the most reputed credential in the field of IT. The fact is skills and knowledge comes with the experience, but certification increases marketability of those skills. If you are also looking to start your career or achieving the success in your career, it is recommend to take this certification.
  • Options
    ItsmHarunItsmHarun Member Posts: 178
    ITIL describes processes, procedures, tasks, and checklists which are not organization-specific, but can be applied by an organization for establishing integration with the organization's strategy, delivering value, and maintaining a minimum level of competency. It allows the organization to establish a baseline from which it can plan, implement, and measure. It is used to demonstrate compliance and to measure improvement.
  • Options
    snokerpokersnokerpoker Member Posts: 661 ■■■■□□□□□□
    My consulting firm is looking into requiring the Senior Engineering staff to take this cert.

It does seem to be becoming more popular than ever.