So about this index.....?

fabostrongfabostrong Member Posts: 215 ■■■□□□□□□□
This is gonna sound dumb but is there any particular way to know what to put in the subject/keyword line? Today was my first day of sec504/GCIH and I wanna start getting my index built.

Thanks

Comments

• cyberguyprcyberguypr Mod Posts: 6,927 Mod
    If you are in the middle of the class I strongly suggest indexing after you finish the course. The course throws a lot of material at you and you'll be better served by focusing on absorbing it. The subject line in the index should have whatever helps you remember/explain the term. This could be a couple of words or a sentence. Whatever works for you.

See here what worked for me.
  • jelevatedjelevated Member Posts: 139
    cyberguypr wrote: »
    If you are in the middle of the class I strongly suggest indexing after you finish the course. The course throws a lot of material at you and you'll be better served by focusing on absorbing it. The subject line in the index should have whatever helps you remember/explain the term. This could be a couple of words or a sentence. Whatever works for you.

See here what worked for me.

Yes. Rushing to do the index on your first day is a waste of class time. Use it to engage with the material, work with your instruction, write notes in the margins, then compile your index.
  • markulousmarkulous Member Posts: 2,394 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Yeah, you want to wait. Your index is part review and part exam prep, you need to go through the course first.

Once you are done with the class, what I'd recommend is going through every term on every page and putting it in your index. E.g. Book 1, page 23, SSH; Book 3, page 122-144, Buffer Overflow. Etc.
  • fabostrongfabostrong Member Posts: 215 ■■■□□□□□□□
    What you guys are saying makes sense. I'm getting a ton of info. Thanks for the index tips. Definitely clears it up for me.
  • sb97sb97 Member Posts: 109
    Some classes are now providing sample Indexes (For408 and For50icon_cool.gif. You should ask your instructor if there is a sample index for your class. It is a good place to start although I still recommend building your own (You can always incorporate the instructor provided index into your own).