GCIH Passed 7/7/2017 !!!

bigdogzbigdogz Member Posts: 881 ■■■■■■■■□□
This is my first GIAC exam and I was told that 'Everything is on the manuals' which is correct.

I read the book 3 times and created my index, which was the major pain but was key to me learning the material.
I also worked the labs multiple times and had my laptop freeze on me once or twice. This is just due to me running too many VM's for work in addition to the ones in the class.
I also listened to the MP3's 3 or 4 times. I listened to them on my laptop and a USB when I had to get in my vehicle. The only issue I had with the MP3's. The volume used for the USB on the vehicle is set lower. When I would reset the car to AM or FM the noise was blaring. LOL.

The instructor was great and there is a method to the madness for the SANS exams. As everyone has stated earlier in other posts, work on your indexes and things will be fine.

When do I receive the material and when are my results posted on the SANS website?

Comments

• Cuse0311Cuse0311 Member Posts: 53 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Congrats on the pass! Give it up to 24 hours or so and you can search your name by going here https://www.giac.org/certified-professionals/directory/pen-testing and clicking GCIH. that will show you the last 50 professionals that were certified for that particular exam. As far as material are you referring to the certificate? That can take anywhere from 6-8 weeks depending on whether or not you ordered the frame with it. What's up for you next Bigdogz?
  • bigdogzbigdogz Member Posts: 881 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Thanks !!!

I was thinking of another SANS certification, either GFNA, GPEN, or GCED. I have to make up my mind soon and see what I can afford.
    What are you working on?
  • Cuse0311Cuse0311 Member Posts: 53 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I am thinking GCIH or GPEN. Might go with GCIH first.
  • clarkincnetclarkincnet Member Posts: 256 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Congrats!
    Give a hacker an exploit, and they will have access for a day, BUT teach them to phish, and they will have access for the rest of their lives!

Have: CISSP, CISM, CRISC, CGEIT, ITIL-F
  • JoJoCal19JoJoCal19 Mod Posts: 2,835 Mod
    Congrats on the pass!!!
    Have: CISSP, CISM, CISA, CRISC, eJPT, GCIA, GSEC, CCSP, CCSK, AWS CSAA, AWS CCP, OCI Foundations Associate, ITIL-F, MS Cyber Security - USF, BSBA - UF, MSISA - WGU
    Currently Working On: Python, OSCP Prep
    Next Up:​ OSCP
    Studying:​ Code Academy (Python), Bash Scripting, Virtual Hacking Lab Coursework
  • TechGromitTechGromit Member Posts: 2,156 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Congratulations on the pass.
    bigdogz wrote: »
    When I would reset the car to AM or FM the noise was blaring. LOL.

You know I have the exact same issue no matter what Sans MP3 I listen too, have to turn up the volume to max in the car to hear the lectures. And when I switch to the radio, I almost blow out my ear drums. The SANS MP3 should come with a warning label.
    Still searching for the corner in a round room.
    Thanks JoJoCal19 and TechGromit.

I looked at renewing the certification as opposed to retaking the exam
    https://www.giac.org/certifications/renewal and found that it may be better to sign up for other certs. I enjoy the GIAC books/material, instructors, and learn a great deal but I find that the only way for me to afford it is through the workstudy program. At this time my company will pay for training, but not from SANS.

I just have a problem with SANS not giving CPEs out for the NetWars or DFIR when I was at the conference.
    I received the certificate but no CPE's were awarded.
  • InCryptableInCryptable Member Posts: 36 ■■□□□□□□□□
    bigdogz wrote: »
    Thanks JoJoCal19 and TechGromit.

I looked at renewing the certification as opposed to retaking the exam
    https://www.giac.org/certifications/renewal and found that it may be better to sign up for other certs. I enjoy the GIAC books/material, instructors, and learn a great deal but I find that the only way for me to afford it is through the workstudy program. At this time my company will pay for training, but not from SANS.

I just have a problem with SANS not giving CPEs out for the NetWars or DFIR when I was at the conference.
    I received the certificate but no CPE's were awarded.

Since you have the CISSP listed...how is the difference between earning SANs CPE's and ISC2's CISSP CPE's??

I've had my CISSP for almost three years now. I've paid my Annual Maint. fee's and uploaded my CPE's to ISC2 website as I earn them for various IA security training events, etc... I also watch a lot of the ISC2 1-hr training video's (almost 3-5 a month)...the beauty of this...is that ISC2 automatically updates your CPE's for you. I have over 200 CPE going into this next renewal cycle (only need 120 per 3-yr cycle).

I just started with SANS certs...so I'm interested in how easy it is to earn CPE's for SANS? Free Online Video training is my preferred method!
  • kanikedude03kanikedude03 Member Posts: 10 ■■□□□□□□□□
    They give out CPEs for netwars at conferences (well at least 2013-2017 they have). I have participated every year in Netwars at a conference and have the CPEs to prove it. If you go to your SANS account dashboard, Click on "My Orders", Click on "Certificate of Completion".
  • nemo_greennemo_green Registered Users Posts: 5 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I have been studying GCIH for a while now, but the materials i use is from 2016. Is that OK ? Is there significant difference between the current material and those from 2016 ?
    ..... ugh... I got timed out... I will make it quick.

@Incryptable

I am new to the GIAC process and can verify tomorrow but you need 36 CPEs every 4 years. Now the format is different as just sitting on a board of a local chapter does not give you 40 for the GIAC. It will only give you 12 CPEs.

36 CPEs
    SANS Training $$$, New GIAC Cert $$$, Writing a paper $399
    -If you want to take the exam again, the cost is $399 ($199 for additional GIAC exam) and the updated material is free.
    -The cheap route would be to publish an article or write a book which is free.
    -Approved professional training and certifications (ISC2, ISACA, CompTia) .... CompTia may have no ROI
    -Post Grad classes (BOHICA)

18 CPEs
    Training or Events such as BlackHat or DefCon

12 CPEs
    NetWars/Cyber Ranges
    Work Experience
    GIAC/SANS/Community Participation/Contribution
    nemo_green wrote: »
    I have been studying GCIH for a while now, but the materials i use is from 2016. Is that OK ? Is there significant difference between the current material and those from 2016 ?
    I will have to talk to the SANS folks as the CPEs were not noted.
    nemo_green wrote: »

The exams come directly from the books and the material is updated regularly.. 3 or 4 times a year. You will be tested on the new material. I would not want to gamble on exam material that was 1 year old. Especially if it is from ebay. Others including myself will state that you are violating the EULA. Put in the time and money to invest in your future like everyone else and believe it or not you may learn more than if you were to cut corners.
  • JasionoJasiono Member Posts: 896 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Very nice, thanks for sharing the information and congrats to you on passing!
    Jasiono wrote: »
    Very nice, thanks for sharing the information and congrats to you on passing!

...anytime and thanks !!!
  • BillHooBillHoo Member Posts: 207 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Congratulations! How do you maintain all those!!?
  • hal9k2hal9k2 Member Posts: 77 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Congrats on the pass.

I see that you obtained Security+ before. How can you compare it to GCIH ?

Or maybe Security+ is more like GSEC ?
  • BillHooBillHoo Member Posts: 207 ■■■□□□□□□□
    hal9k2 wrote: »
    Congrats on the pass.

I see that you obtained Security+ before. How can you compare it to GCIH ?

Or maybe Security+ is more like GSEC ?

There is a broad difference between the two (Sec+ vs GCIH). GSEC is closest to Sec+.

Sec+ is Intro to Security 101. ie. Intro to Baking - Cakes are made using ingredients like flour eggs and a pan.

GCIH is more specific for experienced Incident handling and computer network defense. Ie. Full chapters on various kinds of cakes, different pans (souffle, springform, bundt, etc.) Examination of different kinds of flour (rye, graham, wholewheat, cake flour) and their proper applications. When to beat eggs, separation of whites and uses for yolks.
  • hal9k2hal9k2 Member Posts: 77 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Thank you for tasty answer :)