Options

GSEC - Can`t find sources to learn from

MartinBishopMartinBishop Registered Users Posts: 1 ■□□□□□□□□□
Hi,
it seems that there is no book, course or something i could use to learn for the GSEC Cert.
i CAN NOT attend a class for $5000.

So to all the people which are certified: which sources did you use ?

Comments

• Options
    PhalanxPhalanx Member Posts: 331 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Client & Security: Microsoft 365 Modern Desktop Administrator Associate | MCSE: Mobility
    Server & Networking: MCSA: Windows Server 2016 | MTA: Networking Fundamentals
    Data Privacy & Project/Service Management: PECB GDPR DPO/Practitioner | ITIL 2011: Foundation | CompTIA Project+
    Currently Studying: Microsoft 365 Enterprise Administrator Expert
  • Options
    wiseguywiseguy Member Posts: 62 ■■■□□□□□□□
  • Options
    cyberguyprcyberguypr Mod Posts: 6,928 Mod
    Take a look at: http://www.techexams.net/forums/sans-institute-giac-certifications/94504-gsec-attempt-without-sans-training.html

There's always the Work Study option. $1,100 for class, exam, MP3s, CBT. I personally rather try this than challenging a test.
  • Options
    toyayoungtoyayoung Registered Users Posts: 2 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Although I attended SANS live training; I also went to youtube and watched countless videos on Linux Security and Windows Security, if you google MCITP certification that will surely help. I also used Darrell Gibsons Security + book, if you are not able to attend sans training you will have to use a combination of Security books encompassing server security, Linux security, windows security etc. Hope this is helpful
  • Options
    TechGromitTechGromit Member Posts: 2,156 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Hi,
    it seems that there is no book, course or something i could use to learn for the GSEC Cert.
    i CAN NOT attend a class for $5000.

So to all the people which are certified: which sources did you use ?

If you first getting into security, I would take the Security+ exam first, lots of materials available for that. It may be enough to get your foot in the door for at company to pay for additional training, if not, it will give you about half of the material the GSEC exam covers, you would be half way there to challenging the exam.
    Phalanx wrote: »

No badly outdated, not completely useless, but I think a Security+ would have far more updated material that an old GSEC 3rd party book.
    Still searching for the corner in a round room.
  • Options
    Danielm7Danielm7 Member Posts: 2,310 ■■■■■■■■□□
    TechGromit wrote: »
    If you first getting into security, I would take the Security+ exam first, lots of materials available for that. It may be enough to get your foot in the door for at company to pay for additional training, if not, it will give you about half of the material the GSEC exam covers, you would be half way there to challenging the exam.
    This! If you're trying to break in, outside of learning actual skills, think of the HR doorkeepers. More of them have heard of the security+, which you can do for a couple hundred. For trying to bypass the SANS training and challenge the exam (which is meant to be taken open book with the books from SANS training) you'll pay 1200+ as far as I remember per exam attempt. Just not really worth it if you're just trying to get a foot in the door.
  • Options
    TechGromitTechGromit Member Posts: 2,156 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Danielm7 wrote: »
    you'll pay 1200+ as far as I remember per exam attempt.

It's over $1,600 now to challenge the exam. At this rate it will be cheaper to take the course in a few years.
    Still searching for the corner in a round room.
  • Options
    Danielm7Danielm7 Member Posts: 2,310 ■■■■■■■■□□
    TechGromit wrote: »
    It's over $1,600 now to challenge the exam. At this rate it will be cheaper to take the course in a few years.
    Wow, $1699, that's bonkers.
  • Options
    TacoRocketTacoRocket Member Posts: 497 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Also ITProTV did a video series on the GSEC exam. I would check that out if you are a subscriber.
    These articles and posts are my own opinion and do not reflect the view of my employer.

Website gave me error for signature, check out what I've done here: https://pwningroot.com/
  • Options
    bigdogzbigdogz Member Posts: 881 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Passing the exam depends on your experience and your knowledge of the material, but just remember that this is an open book / open paper exam. You will not have the time to look up every answer but help you on 20 or 30 questions... maybe more... YMMV.
    Your best bet would be the work study option and create your index from the books / MP3's and go over the material a few times.

Good Luck!