Options

Starting my SANS journey with SEC504

JasionoJasiono Member Posts: 896 ■■■■□□□□□□
The company I work for is sending me out to the Las Vegas event in September for the SEC504 training. I signed up for other classes that are taking place in the evening as well.

I'm stressed beyond anything.

Is 504 good to start with?
Should I be reading up on materials before the course, or just go in with a clear mind and focus on my index while attending?

I hear GIAC certs REALLY hold their weight QUITE well. Is this true?

Who else will be at this event?

Comments

• Options
    TacoRocketTacoRocket Member Posts: 497 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Congrats! 504 is a great class to start with. SANS is decent but remember a mix of experience, certs, and school will help in your career.

Don't put all the weight into SANS but it is a cert that a lot of employers look for.

Have fun with 504! You will learn a lot.
    These articles and posts are my own opinion and do not reflect the view of my employer.

Website gave me error for signature, check out what I've done here: https://pwningroot.com/
  • Options
    Cuse0311Cuse0311 Member Posts: 53 ■■■□□□□□□□
    That's awesome that your company is sending you out to Vegas. 504 is a good starting place if you have the basics down which are taught in 301 & 401. I would go in with a clear mind and pay attention to what the instructor is saying. Make sure to also take detailed notes. I wouldn't spend class time working on your index because then you might miss something important. You can always work on your index at night. It will help keep things fresh.
  • Options
    301 and 401 are definitely already in my knowledgebase.

Yeah, I'm really excited for this and stressed at the same time. I have seem some really well done indexes, and heard of some people not even creating one.

Open notes/book to me means the questions are going to be that much more specific and difficult, but it seems as though everything I need to know will be provided during the course, which is nice! I can't tell you enough how much I hate purchasing upwards of 5 books for 1 exam, and still miss something.
  • Options
    TechGromitTechGromit Member Posts: 2,156 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Jasiono wrote: »
    Open notes/book to me means the questions are going to be that much more specific and difficult...

I wouldn't say that, it's just that there's a lot of material for one exam. I personally believe if you put in the time to study and build a good index, your pretty much ensured a pass, especially since you have two practice exams to gauge how prepared you are. On the other hand, you don't put in the time to prepare, your gonna fail, while the answers are in the book, there just no way to look up every answer in the time your given, especially without some kind of index or table of contents to tell you where to look.
    Still searching for the corner in a round room.
  • Options
    bigdogzbigdogz Member Posts: 881 ■■■■■■■■□□

I'm stressed beyond anything.

Should I be reading up on materials before the course, or just go in with a clear mind and focus on my index while attending?

I hear GIAC certs REALLY hold their weight QUITE well. Is this true?

Who else will be at this event?

Don't be stressed. Just enjoy the conference!!!

... YMMV. This depends on your experience familiarity with the tools.

Most of those start with SEC504 and may go into a specific class going forward, Pen testing, Forensics, Cyber Defense... the choice is yours.
    This class is a Purple class in the fact that it has both Red team and Blue team topics and labs.

This will be a large class.... at least 60. I don't have the real numbers but there were well over 100 at the last class in Vegas. This class will also be recorded as it will be Simulcast as well. Reading my help but depending on the package you purchase, you can watch the video or download and listen to the audio files as much as you wish.
    You will receive the books closer to the start of the class at the conference. Just make sure that your laptop is prepped for the class.

Yes the GIAC certs really do hold their weight because the classes are taught by professionals in their specific knowledge base.

I may be there. Just ask for one of the old guys wearing a red apron like those at a hardware store.... or SANS conference.
  • Options
    TechGromit wrote: »
    I wouldn't say that, it's just that there's a lot of material for one exam. I personally believe if you put in the time to study and build a good index, your pretty much ensured a pass, especially since you have two practice exams to gauge how prepared you are. On the other hand, you don't put in the time to prepare, your gonna fail, while the answers are in the book, there just no way to look up every answer in the time your given, especially without some kind of index or table of contents to tell you where to look.

Correct. Knowing the material in the books is key. You may use your index for a handful of questions.
  • Options
    TacoRocket wrote: »
    Congrats! 504 is a great class to start with. SANS is decent but remember a mix of experience, certs, and school will help in your career.

Don't put all the weight into SANS but it is a cert that a lot of employers look for.

Have fun with 504! You will learn a lot.

TacoRocket,
    I hope all is well. Your website... errors out when connecting to a database
  • Options
    Just got back from the conference last weekend.
    Wow

A lot of information. My biggest downfall right now at the moment is Linux. 99.9% of these tools are Linux command based, and I have never actually sat down and used Linux.

I see now how important an index is, coupled with actually absorbing the information (there is just so much).

Time to cut out the video games and replace it with studying. I'm glad I can study while at work as well.

The CORE NetWars was an amazing experience that I really enjoyed, but there were times I just shut down because I felt like I was completely useless to my team. There was also a guy wearing a gorilla outfit lol.
  • Options
    BillHooBillHoo Member Posts: 207 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Just got back from the conference last weekend.
    .......The CORE NetWars was an amazing experience that I really enjoyed, but there were times I just shut down because I felt like I was completely useless to my team. There was also a guy wearing a gorilla outfit lol.

I know what you mean. Had I not been an expert in pop culture 1980's movies references, I would not have been able to contribute to finding one of the passwords in the capture the flag exercise! :D
  • Options
    IntrusionNewbIntrusionNewb Registered Users Posts: 21 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Good luck. Just work at it and it'll all come together.