Flavor of Linux for Linux+?

bjpeterbjpeter Posts: 149Member ■■■□□□□□□□
I am thinking about acquiring the Linux+ certification next year. What flavor of Linux distro should I install so I can practice for it on a VM? Ubuntu? Red Hat?
2019 Goals: CISSP, CCSP, eCPPT, CySA+, PenTest+
Achieved: Linux+/LPIC-1, CCSKv4, OCE Java EE 6 JPA Developer, CSSLP, Server+, Cloud+, Arcitura Certified Cloud Professional, CASP, Mobility+, Storage+, Android Certified Application Developer, OCP Java SE 8 Programmer, Security+, OCM Java SE 6 Developer, B.S. and M.S. in Computer Science

Comments

• srocky26srocky26 Posts: 38Member ■■□□□□□□□□
    You'll need to use both during your study.
  • ReonBalistyReonBalisty Posts: 54Member ■■□□□□□□□□
    As I am working towards my 103 before the end of the Month, I have setup 2 VM's with virtualbox. One Centos (With gui), and one Ubuntu. These were recommended to me via a course mentor through WGU and I have found these Distros are great for studying from.
  • chrisonechrisone Senior Member Posts: 1,766Member ■■■■■■■■□□
    The Linux Foundation for the win!
    2018 Goals: SANS Advanced Security Essentials - Enterprise Defender (complete, not going for cert), SpecterOps: Adversary Tactics Red Team OPS (complete), eCPPT (obtained), OSCP PWK (in progress), Demystifying Regular Expressions (in progress), SLAE, OSCE CTP
  • lacagrl17lacagrl17 Posts: 40Member ■■□□□□□□□□
    Linux Academy provides cloud servers that you can spin up (6 simultaneously) in over 16 different distros including Ubuntu & Red Hat so you can practice on all of them without having to worry
  • airzeroairzero Posts: 126Member
    A simple vm install of ubuntu and CentOS is all you need. Most of the exam is a simple task or config file location that is different for the two distros so you need to know both.
  • jamshid666jamshid666 Posts: 47Member ■■■□□□□□□□
    chrisone wrote: »
    The Linux Foundation for the win!
    How were the Linux Foundation exams compared to Linux+ and RHCSA? I was thinking of going for LFCSA for the sole reason of getting the MCSA - Linux certification. The idea of a Microsoft-sponsored Linux certificate amuses me.
    WGU BS - Network Operations and Security Estimated completion: May 2019
    Remaining courses: C846 (ITIL), C175 (OA), C779 (CIW Site Dev Associate), C768 (OA), C917 (CCDA), C176 (Project+), C849 (Cloud Essentials), C299 (CCNA-SEC), C850 (OA), C769 (Capstone)
    Active Certifications: A+, CCDA, CCNA-R&S, i-Net+, Network+, Security+, Server+, Splunk Certified User, VCP-DCV
    Expired Certifications: CCNP, LPIC-1, MCSERHCSE,
  • kMastaFlashkMastaFlash Posts: 1,012Member ■■■■□□□□□□
    I'd say just use a regular Debian VM and for Red Hat just download CentOS.
    2018: CCSK
    2019: CWSP,Cloud+,Project+,CASP,PenTest+,CWNA,CCNA Security,GXPN,GREM
    2021: LPIC-2,JNCIS-ENT,eLearnSecurity Courses