Flavor of Linux for Linux+?

bjpeterbjpeter Member Posts: 198 ■■■□□□□□□□
I am thinking about acquiring the Linux+ certification next year. What flavor of Linux distro should I install so I can practice for it on a VM? Ubuntu? Red Hat?
2021 Goals (2): SSCP, eCPPT
Achieved (27): Certified Associate in Python Programming, Microsoft Certified: Azure Fundamentals, PenTest+, Project+, CySA+, Flutter Certified Application Developer, OCP Java EE 7 Application Developer, CCSP, OCP Java SE 11 Developer, CISSP, Linux+/LPIC-1, CCSKv4, OCE Java EE 6 JPA Developer, CSSLP, Server+, Cloud+, Arcitura Certified Cloud Professional, CASP+, Mobility+, Storage+, Android Certified Application Developer, OCP Java SE 8 Programmer, Security+, OCM Java SE 6 Developer, B.S. and M.S. in Computer Science

Comments

• srocky26srocky26 Member Posts: 39 ■■□□□□□□□□
    You'll need to use both during your study.
  • ReonBalistyReonBalisty Member Posts: 54 ■□□□□□□□□□
    As I am working towards my 103 before the end of the Month, I have setup 2 VM's with virtualbox. One Centos (With gui), and one Ubuntu. These were recommended to me via a course mentor through WGU and I have found these Distros are great for studying from.
  • chrisonechrisone Member Posts: 2,278 ■■■■■■■■■□
    The Linux Foundation for the win!
    Certs: CISSP, EnCE, OSCP, CRTP, eCTHPv2, eCPPT, eCIR, LFCS, CEH, SPLK-1002, SC-200, SC-300, AZ-900, AZ-500, VHL:Advanced+
    2023 Cert Goals: SC-100, eCPTX
  • lacagrl17lacagrl17 Member Posts: 40 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Linux Academy provides cloud servers that you can spin up (6 simultaneously) in over 16 different distros including Ubuntu & Red Hat so you can practice on all of them without having to worry
  • airzeroairzero Member Posts: 126
    A simple vm install of ubuntu and CentOS is all you need. Most of the exam is a simple task or config file location that is different for the two distros so you need to know both.
  • jamshid666jamshid666 Member Posts: 48 ■■■□□□□□□□
    chrisone wrote: »
    The Linux Foundation for the win!
    How were the Linux Foundation exams compared to Linux+ and RHCSA? I was thinking of going for LFCSA for the sole reason of getting the MCSA - Linux certification. The idea of a Microsoft-sponsored Linux certificate amuses me.
    WGU BS - Network Operations and Security Estimated completion: May 2019
    Remaining courses: C846 (ITIL), C768 (OA), C850 (OA), C769 (Capstone)
    Active Certifications: A+, CCDA, CCNA-R&S, CCNA-Security, CIW-SDA, i-Net+, Network+, Project+, Security+, Server+, Splunk Certified User, VCP-DCV
    Expired Certifications: CCNP, LPIC-1, MCSE, RHCSE,
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Senior Member Posts: 0 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I'd say just use a regular Debian VM and for Red Hat just download CentOS.