Options

Which level should I try ?

joker197cinquejoker197cinque Member Posts: 6 ■□□□□□□□□□
Hi guys,

I just got CISSP cert and would like to combine it with an ITIL.

I see however that there are at least 5 levels .. foundation, practitioner ...up to master.

Which one should I target ? Is it possible to make one without the lower one ?

Thanks for help

Comments

• Options
    PhalanxPhalanx Member Posts: 331 ■■■□□□□□□□
    No, you need to work through the tiers. It is a points-based system.

All info is here: https://www.axelos.com/certifications/itil-certifications
    Client & Security: Microsoft 365 Modern Desktop Administrator Associate | MCSE: Mobility
    Server & Networking: MCSA: Windows Server 2016 | MTA: Networking Fundamentals
    Data Privacy & Project/Service Management: PECB GDPR DPO/Practitioner | ITIL 2011: Foundation | CompTIA Project+
    Currently Studying: Microsoft 365 Enterprise Administrator Expert
  • Options
    stryder144stryder144 Member Posts: 1,684 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I would start with the Foundation exam and see if you like it. If, after attaining the ITIL Foundation certification, you want to go further up the ladder, then target either the Capabilities or the Lifecycle intermediate exams. After that, you would take on the Managing Across the Lifecycle (MALC) exam and become an ITIL Expert.

Grab a copy of the ITIL Foundation Exam Study Guide (Sybex). One of our members here, Liz Gallacher, co-wrote it. She also co-wrote an Intermediate focused set of study guides (one for Lifecycle and one for Capabilities). I have read her Foundation guide and am currently reading her Lifecycle intermediate guide, which are excellent.

Another member here, Claire Agutter, wrote the ITIL Foundation Essentials: The Exam Facts You Need book
    . I haven't read that one but she gives such great advice here that I thought I would mention it.

Good luck and let us know what you decide to do as well as your progress.

Addendum: You can self-study for the Foundation exam but you must get training from an authorized training organization to go any further.
    The easiest thing to be in the world is you. The most difficult thing to be is what other people want you to be. Don't let them put you in that position. ~ Leo Buscaglia

Connect With Me || My Blog Site || Follow Me
  • Options
    joker197cinquejoker197cinque Member Posts: 6 ■□□□□□□□□□
    stryder144 wrote: »
    Addendum: You can self-study for the Foundation exam but you must get training from an authorized training organization to go any further.

Hi, so to take the exam I MUST buy training from an authorized training organization ?
  • Options
    Liz GallacherLiz Gallacher Member Posts: 107
    Hi, so to take the exam I MUST buy training from an authorized training organization ?

As stated above, this is not necessary for Foundation, but IS required for all the other levels. E-learning through an accredited e-learning provider, (such as Claire Agutter's itsm.zone) is the most cost effective way)
  • Options
    DH44MAG2DH44MAG2 Member Posts: 37 ■■■□□□□□□□
    As far as self-studying for Foundation, I have heard a lot of good about Claire Agutter's book "ITIL Foundation Essentials: The Exam Facts You Need". From what I'e heard, this book is a good investment and should be part of anyone's library who is self-studying for their ITIL Foundation certification.

As far as eLearning goes, I'm afraid I can only offer my personal perspective. From the beginning of my ITIL journey, I've been using PassionIT Groups courses and I have been very satisfied.
  • Options
    tallmaktallmak Member Posts: 11 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I will second Claire's book. I used it for making notes and follow up on concepts that I was unsure of. Liz's book is good too. It goes a little more in depth. I would recommend both.