First sans training GSTRT

TrekkarTrekkar Posts: 4Registered Users ■□□□□□□□□□
I have the opportunity to go to my first Sans training at Sans West in May and looking for any tips or tricks to get the most out of a Sans training. I will be doing the MTG 514 course which is the GSTRT cert . I got the Cert and the online extension as well as that was recommended by someone else. I'm also working on the Cissp as well.

Thanks for any info .

Comments

  • GirlyGirlGirlyGirl Posts: 219Member
    Trekkar wrote: »
    I have the opportunity to go to my first Sans training at Sans West in May and looking for any tips or tricks to get the most out of a Sans training. I will be doing the MTG 514 course which is the GSTRT cert . I got the Cert and the online extension as well as that was recommended by someone else. I'm also working on the Cissp as well.

    Thanks for any info .

    Quick Question. What made you decide upon this certification/training?

    You purchased an extension without even taken one day of the training. SANS is laughing at you all the way to the BANK.

    Stop taking recommendations.. That's my advice.
  • TechGuru80TechGuru80 Posts: 1,535Member ■■■■■□□□□□
    No...the extension being referred to is ondemand access which you don’t get included in the standard price if you go to a live event. There is never a situation I would not recommend getting the ondemand access because you can go through the course as many times as you want...it’s really common sense if you can’t do the extra minimal cost for ondemand, you should just do ondemand in general.
  • GirlyGirlGirlyGirl Posts: 219Member
    TechGuru80 wrote: »
    No...the extension being referred to is ondemand access which you don’t get included in the standard price if you go to a live event. There is never a situation I would not recommend getting the ondemand access because you can go through the course as many times as you want...it’s really common sense if you can’t do the extra minimal cost for ondemand, you should just do ondemand in general.

    Please don't ever insult my intelligence. icon_rolleyes.gif

    Thank You,
  • TrekkarTrekkar Posts: 4Registered Users ■□□□□□□□□□
    Yes that is why the online extension was purchased along with being told that the immersion style of these courses are such that the online portion is a great review from the live material as well as for the Cert .I'm not so much concerned about the Cert as I am with the hands on immersive style of training which is what I was looking for .

    Sans is certainly one of the higher regarded trainings out there and because of an upgraded leadership position I just accepted that deals with even more strategic planning and Governance, this training course seems to fit well with my expanded responsibilities .
  • GirlyGirlGirlyGirl Posts: 219Member
    TechGuru80 wrote: »
    No...the extension being referred to is ondemand access which you don’t get included in the standard price if you go to a live event. There is never a situation I would not recommend getting the ondemand access because you can go through the course as many times as you want...it’s really common sense if you can’t do the extra minimal cost for ondemand, you should just do ondemand in general.


    No. I thought it was an extension for the books they GIVE you. Nevermind. I thought it was an extension for the class. The instructor volunteered to cancel his flight to stay a few days to help a student if they ask and pay extra money. My day was really going south. I can always come here for a good laugh. You the real MVP!
  • TechGuru80TechGuru80 Posts: 1,535Member ■■■■■□□□□□
    GirlyGirl wrote: »
    No. I thought it was an extension for the books they GIVE you. Nevermind. I thought it was an extension for the class. The instructor volunteered to cancel his flight to stay a few days to help a student if they ask and pay extra money. My day was really going south. I can always come here for a good laugh. You the real MVP!
    I’m not sure why you are making snarky comments as you haven’t added any value, but there are two different types of extensions...one to get ondemand, and one that is for the certification attempt if you never purchased ondemand.

    Also, you have zero SANS/GIAC certifications listed so the perception is you actually have no clue what you are talking about.
  • josephandrejosephandre Posts: 314Member ■■■■□□□□□□
    have you seen any of her other posts?
  • johndoeejohndoee Posts: 115Member
    TechGuru80 wrote: »
    I’m not sure why you are making snarky comments as you haven’t added any value, but there are two different types of extensions...one to get ondemand, and one that is for the certification attempt if you never purchased ondemand.

    Also, you have zero SANS/GIAC certifications listed so the perception is you actually have no clue what you are talking about.

    TechGuru80,

    How do you know what certifications someone has? Just because they don't list certifications means they don't have any?


    All do respect, that is the dumbest comment I have read in a while. Do you know her personally, what's her real name?

    That wasn't a "smart" reply. GirlyGirl 1 TechGuru -80

    If someone does not say hey I have a certification that means they don't have it. Yeah, real smart. NOT that was a no common sense reply TG80
  • johndoeejohndoee Posts: 115Member
    have you seen any of her other posts?


    TechGuru80 and GirlyGirl are brother and sister and they both must be getting in an early April Fools joke.....or this is the first post TechGuru was able to read in 5 years.


    TechGuru is on GirlyGirl page right now reading all her posts. I could put money on it.
  • GirlyGirlGirlyGirl Posts: 219Member
    johndoee wrote: »
    TechGuru80 and GirlyGirl are brother and sister and they both must be getting in an early April Fools joke.....or this is the first post TechGuru was able to read in 5 years.


    TechGuru is on GirlyGirl page right now reading all her posts. I could put money on it.


    Stay off my page TechGuru80. You stalker!!!! icon_lol.gif

    John Doee. I am glad nobody bet you.
    icon_twisted.gif

    The last 10 visitor(s) to this page were: This page has had 102 visits
  • TechGromitTechGromit Completely Clueless Ontario, NY Posts: 1,818Member ■■■■■■□□□□
    Trekkar wrote: »
    ... I will be doing the MTG 514 course which is the GSTRT cert .... I'm also working on the Cissp as well.

    If you taking a SANS course, I would recommend you put your CISSP studying on the back burner, unless you can take the exam before starting your SANS course. There is a limited time window from when you take your SANS course till you must take the certification exam. Four months seems like a long time, but it flies by quicker than you realize and those extensions are pricey, $360 for another 6 weeks.
    Still searching for the corner in a round room.
  • Cuse0311Cuse0311 Junior Member Posts: 30Member ■■■□□□□□□□
    TechGromit wrote: »
    If you taking a SANS course, I would recommend you put your CISSP studying on the back burner, unless you can take the exam before starting your SANS course. There is a limited time window from when you take your SANS course till you must take the certification exam. Four months seems like a long time, but it flies by quicker than you realize and those extensions are pricey, $360 for another 6 weeks.

    +1 for TechGromit

    I concur. SANS courses are very demanding and the four month window goes by fast. You're better of spending that time studying and preparing for the SANS certification, than trying to cram in two certifications at once.
  • cshkurucshkuru Posts: 224Member ■■■□□□□□□□
    TechGromit wrote: »
    If you taking a SANS course, I would recommend you put your CISSP studying on the back burner, unless you can take the exam before starting your SANS course. There is a limited time window from when you take your SANS course till you must take the certification exam. Four months seems like a long time, but it flies by quicker than you realize and those extensions are pricey, $360 for another 6 weeks.

    I am going to disagree here, 514 looks like it should compliment the CISSP stuff pretty well so I would say that both can be pursued at the same time - plus, and this is just my opinion, I think people need to stop treating the CISSP like some sort of damn mystical dragon that can only be slain by a warrior of pure heart armed with a sword blessed by a virginal prince(ss). It's just an exam, and now that it's 150 questions and 3 hours it isn't even the endurance test it used to be, although to be honest the adaptive test scares me more. (Yes, I have mine with the old style test) Do what you think you can handle.

    As for the bit that started this entire thread, I think you made the smart choice picking up the on demand bundle. I have two GIAC Certs, more than some less than others, have a third exam scheduled, and will be pursuing a fourth (and probably final) soon, and I found that the on-demand bundle made a major difference. In class they fly thru the material. With the on-demand I can read all the material in the books as the instructor goes over it, index as I go, and have 4 months to really absorb it. I also listen to the audio they give you multiple times, but personally I find the on demand works better. Just audio it's too easy to start letting your mind wander. You should have an idea what studying style works for you and where your skill level is at.

    All in all I think you have made the right choices given what you said you wanted to accomplish. Good Luck.
Sign In or Register to comment.