Passed GCIA

futurehendrixfuturehendrix Member Posts: 28 ■□□□□□□□□□
After taking the course in person earlier in the spring, I passed my GCIA certification exam today with a 79% score largely due to this website and the study tips that people have shared so thank you all.

I was definitely nervous after taking the course because it seemed that everyone in the class was far ahead of me (been in NetSec for about a year now and still in school) and I was freaking out about the exam. My main advice, like everyone else, would be: index, index, index. My index was only about four pages (I'd recommend at least 10) but after taking the two practice tests, I added some decoded packet headers for TCP, IP and ICMP so that I quickly referenced during the exam as well as my notes from the course which gave me about 40 pages of material for the test and I ended up using most of it and wishing I added some more. The price for the practice tests are well worth it. They got me adjusted to the type of questions that are going to be asked and how to track my time. I ended up using the full four hours during my exam, literally answering the last question was the last minute was coming down.

For those that have the GCIA, what should be the next cert that I aim for? I'm currently a security analyst and would like to develop more into an engineer/architect role.

Comments

• mjs1104mjs1104 Member Posts: 30 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Congrats on the pass, that test is a beast.
    GSEC, GCIA, GCIH, GCCC, GCPM, GMON, GCTI, GCFA, GREM, GPEN, A+, Net+, Security+, Server+, C|EH, EnCE, ACE, CFCE, etc.
  • sb97sb97 Member Posts: 109
    Congratulations! For an Engineering/Architect role you may want to consider Sec530 or Sec545. I have not taken either one but maybe someone else here can provide some better information.
  • Info_Sec_WannabeInfo_Sec_Wannabe Member Posts: 428 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Well done! icon_cheers.gif
    X year plan: (20XX) OSCP [ ], CCSP [ ]
  • futurehendrixfuturehendrix Member Posts: 28 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Thanks. SEC530 definitely seems to be what I want to do.

Has anyone taken it?
  • tboetboe Member Posts: 44 ■■■□□□□□□□
    im good love, enjoy!!...lol...hit my dm future...
    tboe wrote: »
    im good love, enjoy!!...lol...hit my dm future...

don't have enough posts
  • Randy_RandersonRandy_Randerson Member Posts: 115 ■■■□□□□□□□
    For those that have the GCIA, what should be the next cert that I aim for? I'm currently a security analyst and would like to develop more into an engineer/architect role.

Congrats on the pass! I've heard horror stories about it. Hoping to take it this winter hopefully.

Far as what to take after, possibly GMON? Perimeter Detection and the sort.
  • greg9891greg9891 Member Posts: 1,189 ■■■■■■■□□□
    Congrats!
    :
    Upcoming Certs: VCA-DCV 7.0, VCP-DCV 7.0, Oracle Database 1Z0-071, PMP, Server +, CCNP

Proverbs 6:6-11Go to the ant, you sluggard! Consider her ways and be wise, Which, having no captain, Overseer or ruler, Provides her supplies in the summer, And gathers her food in the harvest. How long will you slumber, O sluggard?
    When will you rise from your sleep? A little sleep, a little slumber, A little folding of the hands to sleep, So shall your poverty come on you like a prowler And your need like an armed man.
  • MalwareMikeMalwareMike Member Posts: 147 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Congrats on the pass! I'll be taking this class during the fall!
    Current: GSEC, GCIH, GCIA, GWAPT, GYPC, RHCSA, WCNA
    2019 Goals: CISSP, Splunk certifications (Certified Core, Power User, Admin, and Architect)
    Twitter: https://twitter.com/Malware_Mike

• krucial85krucial85 Member Posts: 84 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Congrats on passing that test. I passed it around the same time and it was not easy. I'm now going through the GCFE (GIAC Computer Forensics Examiner) course and it really is an eye opener. Not many people have that skill according to the instructor. It really goes into a lot of detail about windows registries and the other artifacts that can be found to provide factual evidence of computer activity.
    "The way to succeed is never quit. That's it. But be really humble about it."
  • Randy_RandersonRandy_Randerson Member Posts: 115 ■■■□□□□□□□
    krucial85 wrote: »
    Congrats on passing that test. I passed it around the same time and it was not easy. I'm now going through the GCFE (GIAC Computer Forensics Examiner) course and it really is an eye opener. Not many people have that skill according to the instructor. It really goes into a lot of detail about windows registries and the other artifacts that can be found to provide factual evidence of computer activity.

GCFE is a great class! I would tell anyone who has taken GCIA to take GNFA next too. Network Forensics is going to be a hot button item in the forthcoming years as everything starts going mobile.
    How was the GNFA exam and course in general in terms of not only difficulty but actual information you can apply in your job responsibilities?