Question for those who have taken SANS OnDemand courses

JGSJGS Member Posts: 23 ■■■□□□□□□□
Hi,

I am looking at the options for taking SANS courses. I am wondering if the mp3 audios that one gets for self-study are the same material as what is in the videos for OnDemand courses? I recently took a Simulcast course which provided recordings of the lectures and the self-study mp3 audio, but they were different instructors. I find it nice to have a variety!

Thanks!

Comments

• quogue66quogue66 Member Posts: 193 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I've taken several SANS courses OnDemand. The MP3 is the full audio from a SANS conference. You can even hear students ask questions and participate. The audio from the videos may be from the same course but they are edited. It seems as though the audio that accompanies the videos is more like audio clips that match the slides being shown.
  • JGSJGS Member Posts: 23 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Thanks! It is useful to know that about the OnDemand audio. Do you recall though for the courses that you did OnDemand, if it was the same instructor?
    Yes, it is the same instructor. It may even be the same recorded material....just cut into smaller pieces to match the video presentation.
  • al88al88 Member Posts: 62 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I guess it depends on the course, but for Cyber Threat Intelligence, the mp3 files were live recording from one of the main SANS events while the On-Demand recording were just the author and his slides addressing On-Demand students. Both were same instructor, and the author himself actually. I believe that's how it always is, the author is the one who does all the recordings.

As you mentioned, variety is certainly welcomed.
  • paul78paul78 Member Posts: 3,016 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Good to know. Maybe I never noticed before but for the 2 on-demand classes that I took a long time ago, I don't remember getting any audio files.
  • JGSJGS Member Posts: 23 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Thanks! So if one takes an OnDemand course is it worth listening to the mp3 files? Is it just listening to the same material (except the additional interaction with the audience)?
    I'd say for studying purposes, stick to the On-Demand videos and the books. I listen to the mp3 files when I commute only .. kills time plus the experience/stories shared (from instructor or students) are really worth it.
    paul78 wrote: »
    Good to know. Maybe I never noticed before but for the 2 on-demand classes that I took a long time ago, I don't remember getting any audio files.

You probably didn't get notified about them, but everyone gets them no matter which method they took the course.

From SANS FAQ:
    "The mp3 files can be found in SANS Account Dashboard/My Online Training/Self Study on your SANS portal."

And they expire I believe after four months from taking the course.
    JGS wrote: »
    Thanks! So if one takes an OnDemand course is it worth listening to the mp3 files? Is it just listening to the same material (except the additional interaction with the audience)?

I used them for a period of time when I had a long commute to work. Now that I have a shorter commute I don't know how much I'll use them. I think it also depends on the course.