Passed GMOB

uksteveinusuksteveinus Member Posts: 9 ■■□□□□□□□□
Know the tools well and syntax for common tasks on the tools.
Have a good index and be able to compare and contrast IOS and Android for things like password storage and encryption.
No code questions except simple javascript.
I think the whole open book exam is a bit misleading, I didn't find I had enough time to be looking at the book except for maybe 10 or so questions.
They are right the first practice test is the best indicator of how well prepared you are.

Glad I passed - phew!!

Comments

• cyberguyprcyberguypr Mod Posts: 6,928 Mod
    Congrats on the pass!
  • uksteveinusuksteveinus Member Posts: 9 ■■□□□□□□□□
  • TechGromitTechGromit Member Posts: 2,156 ■■■■■■■■■□
    First off congratulations, the passing of any GIAC certification is a cause to celebration. But, I'm curious, do you feel the course / certification is worth the price and time invested? Since there are only around 1,000 GMOB certification holders, I can't help wonder if the certification has that much value in the job market, at least now, even if may become more desirable in the future.

I just wonder about the cost / benefit or ROI, if you obtain say a GCIH, this is a very desirable certification to hold, many employers ask for or prefer applicants to have one. The ROI is good in my opinion, but for many of these less well know certifications that cost just as much, I wonder about the ROI. Perhaps I'm looking at this wrong, but I feel that obtaining certifications is an investment in yourself type of thing, at $6,210 a course and another $675 for an exam attempt, not to mention all the time studying for the exam, do you feel your time and money were well spent?
    Still searching for the corner in a round room.
  • markmorowmarkmorow Member Posts: 44 ■■■□□□□□□□
    "Know the tools well and syntax for common tasks on the tools. "

I assume what's covered in the labs is what you need. Not above that?
  • COBOL_DOS_ERACOBOL_DOS_ERA Member Posts: 205 ■■■■■□□□□□
    Congrats!!!icon_cheers.gif
    CISM, CRISC, CGEIT, PMP, PMI-ACP, SEC+, ITIL V3, A-CSM. And Many More.
  • Randy_RandersonRandy_Randerson Member Posts: 115 ■■■□□□□□□□
    TechGromit wrote: »
    First off congratulations, the passing of any GIAC certification is a cause to celebration. But, I'm curious, do you feel the course / certification is worth the price and time invested? Since there are only around 1,000 GMOB certification holders, I can't help wonder if the certification has that much value in the job market, at least now, even if may become more desirable in the future.

I just wonder about the cost / benefit or ROI, if you obtain say a GCIH, this is a very desirable certification to hold, many employers ask for or prefer applicants to have one. The ROI is good in my opinion, but for many of these less well know certifications that cost just as much, I wonder about the ROI. Perhaps I'm looking at this wrong, but I feel that obtaining certifications is an investment in yourself type of thing, at $6,210 a course and another $675 for an exam attempt, not to mention all the time studying for the exam, do you feel your time and money were well spent?

Just my personal opinion, but I do think it is worth it. If anything, you now know some of the inner dealing with iOS and Android. That is going to be great when interviewing and they ask you either what that certification is OR try to get a good sense of your body of knowledge relating to the material. The reason I believe there are roughly only 1k of those holders is the course isn't advertised like many of the other big name ones like GPEN or GCIH. But it certainly can hold its own when you are still discussing topics like side-channel attacks, MitM, CSRF and other lesson objectives found in other courses.

Now if you get that cert and have no inclination of dealing with phones, then ya...it is probably a waste. One other aspect to certs is not for your resume to get a job but also your CV when potentially testifying in court or dealing with legal counsel in general. Those certs are what help solidify to a judge and jury that you not only understand the material but were able to achieve an ANSI accredited certification based on your studies and knowledge of the material. May not seem like a lot, but it certainly does help in those types of instances.
    Great question - the answer depends on your goals. My goals include protecting the enterprise from mobile device threats and so it is invaluable. A day after I passed I was explaining what we can and can't extract data wise from mobile devices and this I couldn't do prior to the study. The exam forces you to learn the material so if you take the plunge don't skip the exam. Personally I love the fact that so few people have the cert, it is an immediate differentiator but you may have a different take. If not this course which one would you pick?
    The labs do include everything but there are normally so many steps and you only do the labs once, it is possible you won't remember. To pass the test you have to know the material in the book - so do the lab and then make sure you learn the syntax quoted in the book. Hope that helps.