Options

are labs needed?

SecurityNoob45SecurityNoob45 Member Posts: 9 ■■□□□□□□□□
Hey i was just wondering, are labs needed to help you pass the exam? specifically for a class like SEC566 which is the 20 critical security controls?
Thanks.

Comments

• Options
    Danielm7Danielm7 Member Posts: 2,310 ■■■■■■■■□□
    If you're taking the class, any reason why you wouldn't do the labs? You mentioned you're doing it via on demand, the labs are usually fun and reinforce information, I would for sure. 
  • Options
    JoJoCal19JoJoCal19 Mod Posts: 2,835 Mod
    Agree with Danielm7, definitely for any technical class the labs are a must to reinforce the technical stuff, but even in a class like 566, the labs will reinforce the concepts being learned. I mean, sure try one of your practice exams without doing them and see how you do, but if you don't do great, go back and do the labs. 
    Have: CISSP, CISM, CISA, CRISC, eJPT, GCIA, GSEC, CCSP, CCSK, AWS CSAA, AWS CCP, OCI Foundations Associate, ITIL-F, MS Cyber Security - USF, BSBA - UF, MSISA - WGU
    Currently Working On: Python, OSCP Prep
    Next Up:​ OSCP
    Studying:​ Code Academy (Python), Bash Scripting, Virtual Hacking Lab Coursework
  • Options
    SecurityNoob45SecurityNoob45 Member Posts: 9 ■■□□□□□□□□
    so helpful! thanks to you both!
  • Options
    LonerVampLonerVamp Member Posts: 518 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I have not taken this course/exam, nor seen the materials beyond the page for the SEC566 course. But from my experience, the labs are fair game for questions, both the tools, the point of the exercises, and the outputs. This includes being able to recognize screenshots and/or commands.

As mentioned, there should be no reason to not do them.

Security Engineer/Analyst/Geek, Red & Blue Teams
    OSCP, GCFA, GWAPT, CISSP, OSWP, AWS SA-A, AWS Security, Sec+, Linux+, CCNA Cyber Ops, CCSK
    2021 goals: maybe AWAE or SLAE, bunch o' courses and red team labs?