Options

Post Your Lab (PICS)

Comments

• Options
    SephStormSephStorm Member Posts: 1,731 ■■■■■■■□□□
  • Options
    phoeneousphoeneous Member Posts: 2,333 ■■■■■■■□□□
    For the panel, isn't saying "Cisco CCNA" sort of redundant. It's like saying "NIC card". That would bother me, just sayin'. For the price, you're better off with an access server. What if you get all new equipment, the labels wont match up. Plus having an access server means you can say cool words like "octal" and "session."
  • Options
    ZeroHunterZeroHunter Member Posts: 148
    phoeneous wrote: »
    For the panel, isn't saying "Cisco CCNA" sort of redundant. It's like saying "NIC card". That would bother me, just sayin'. For the price, you're better off with an access server. What if you get all new equipment, the labels wont match up. Plus having an access server means you can say cool words like "octal" and "session."

Well let me take your question(s)/comments(s) in order; yes saying 'Cisco CCNA' is a bit redundant, but the example you stated pretty much covers it, how many times have you heard someone say 'go to (insert computer store name here) and get me a NIC' no mostly you hear 'NIC Card'. Its just a common vernacular error, that is accepted.

The other beauty of it is, Its in MY HOUSE, not yours, I paid for and I am a bit proud of the out come. Also expanding on your comment, ever piece of equipment in the rack also says CISCO so I guess that's a bit redundant also.

To your question about what happens if I get new equipment, well that has already happened, you could call this panel version 2.1. If you look at the panel CAD diagram at the bottom of my photo post, you will see that it has a blank Serial Connector space, yet if you look at the panel that is in the actual pictures that port says 'Switch / 3524', I did not have the 3500 series unit when I got the panel made and had to add the last label. The reason its version 2.x is its the second panel I had made, the first one had only 6 ports, and most of the equipment was changed after reading a lot of the information from this forum, and was upgraded to something that can hopefully get me through CCNA & CCNP.

So to answer that question, I will either get another panel made, or I could just make labels to attach to the panel to correct the port information to make it correct. The last option would be to return the panel to Front Panel Express and have them re-machine the back of the panel to state the correct information, as they will work on items that are provided by the user/buyer.

And last I still get to use neat words like 'unique', 'custom', 'personalized' and 'one off'
    Z3r0

Skool: Herzing Univ for CCNA
    c0op3r.com
  • Options
    chmorinchmorin Member Posts: 1,446 ■■■■■□□□□□
    ZeroHunter wrote: »
    Thanx, yeah I thought about it, and it might happen, but esthetically it would look terrible (I did mention my OCD before right?)

I had it made at a place called Front Panel Express , I did not know about the 2509RF when i had it made, but I kinda like it also as its unique.

Where did you get the enclosed rack?
    Currently Pursuing
    WGU (BS in IT Network Administration) - 52%| CCIE:Voice Written - 0% (0/200 Hours)
    mikej412 wrote:
    Cisco Networking isn't just a job, it's a Lifestyle.
  • Options
    chmorin wrote: »
    Where did you get the enclosed rack?

Are you talking about this one:

ServerRack.jpg

If so, believe it or not its one of the Wall Mount Units, I just took the wall mount part off and use it as a floor mount unit and printer stand.

the name/brand is: Middle Atlantic EWR-8-17

I got it from a friend, who had it sitting in his back yard 'still new in the box' albeit, the box was ruined and the unit needed a complete wipe down as it had started to get that chalky effect that things that are left in the elements to long sometimes get. Thank goodness for powered coating!

The other super nice thing, I got it for 20$
    As a little side note that server rack has a little over 20Terabytes of personal storage in it.
    Z3r0

c0op3r.com
  • Options
    Considering its on ebay for 180 + 60 shipping, all I have to say is lucky bastard. =)
    Currently Pursuing
    WGU (BS in IT Network Administration) - 52%| CCIE:Voice Written - 0% (0/200 Hours)
    mikej412 wrote:
  • Options
    chmorin wrote: »
    Considering its on ebay for 180 + 60 shipping, all I have to say is lucky bastard. =)

I have had good luck with CraigsList for that type of thing, I just got an Intellinet Wall-mount Rack 18U for a buddy for 100.oo$ its like new.

The funny thing with the wall-mount units is that most people think you have to put it on the wall, but they make great floor mounted units. The only problem as a general rule, is that they are NOT 30"'s deep.

17640.jpg
    Z3r0

c0op3r.com
  • Options
    JollycorkJollycork Member Posts: 149
    PA050001.jpg

Never could keep the hands steady, to much coffee, but there's the spaghetti mess and most of the lab. The servers are below the 8 port lower patch panel. That old 2514 is being replaced with another 2610XM. The 3rd 2950 and second 1760 is above the 1760 along with another 8 port patch panel. [crappy cell phone couldn't get em in]. I will say, that old 2511 was the best investment made in the beginning, besides the 7' relay rack. I use the 3640 for a bunch of roles. Right now it's simply NAT stub router to the Internet, but use it to run CME as a remote site off the 1760s. [note: just did a reload on the 1760 when I took the pic so the FXS and FXO ports show amber in case anyone wonders]
  • Options
    Well let me take your question(s)/comments(s) in order...<snip>

Dude, you take my replies way too literally. Nice rack by the way.
  • Options

Yes, it would seem so, it also seems that we are at the opposite ends of the spectrum. Clearly you are of the more artistic type "on a fretboard" were I am a straight engineer all day everyday "having a BS in Mech Eng."

But is it not what life is about to have all kinds?
    Z3r0

c0op3r.com
  • Options

HAAHAHAAHAHAhahahahhahahaha... haha...hah... ha-

I don't think he understood how funny that actually is.
    Currently Pursuing
    mikej412 wrote:
  • Options
    DevilWAHDevilWAH Member Posts: 2,997 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I have starting to build a rack at home now. I don't think work realise that at work the test racks 2509 access server, and most of the routers all belong to me.. In fact some of the live network stuff belongs to me as well! wonder how long before they notice when I take it all out :)

All I need is to get hold of 2 or 3 3550's and I will be good to go.
    • If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough. Albert Einstein
    • An arrow can only be shot by pulling it backward. So when life is dragging you back with difficulties. It means that its going to launch you into something great. So just focus and keep aiming.
  • Options
    PhildoBagginsPhildoBaggins Member Posts: 276
    I need a couple table top racks before the months out I will have 10 routers and 9 switches.....my desk is getting stupid cluttered lol.

Where is a good place to buy them? I wouldnt want to spend more than 50 bucks per rack
  • Options
    Yes, it would seem so, it also seems that we are at the opposite ends of the spectrum. Clearly you are of the more artistic type "on a fretboard" were I am a straight engineer all day everyday "having a BS in Mech Eng."

But is it not what life is about to have all kinds?

I wouldnt say opposite ends of the spectrum, I have a BS in InfoSec and an AS in Electronic Engineering. But I like guitars too, hence the fretboard. Computing makes my brain hurt sometimes.
  • Options
    NetwurkNetwurk Member Posts: 1,155 ■■■■■□□□□□
    This isn't a thread to argue about stuff

MORE PICTURES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • Options
    Netwurk wrote: »
    This isn't a thread to argue about stuff

MORE PICTURES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Who's arguing? But I Agree more Lab photos. I love hardware.
    Z3r0

c0op3r.com
  • Options
    Carpe JugulemCarpe Jugulem Member Posts: 17 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I just got my lab installed, but haven't powered up yet... I'll get some pics here shortly...
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Senior Member Posts: 0 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I have to get some routers and a rack then i'll post pictures of my lab :D
  • Options
    I did not like the way the 5/6' power cords fit in my rack, I had to bundle them all up at the bottom and it was a mess!

This first picture is the mess that came off the LAB RACK
    CiscoRackPowerCords_5.jpg

I replaced it with these 18" and 36" cords:

CiscoRackPowerCords_4.jpg

So here is what the final power cord hook-up looks like, notice that it has no doubling back of the cords everything runs straight and plugs directly in:

CiscoRackPowerCords_1.jpg

CiscoRackPowerCords_2.jpg

CiscoRackPowerCords_3.jpg

I got the Cables from: http://www.cablewholesale.com
    Z3r0

c0op3r.com
  • Options
    earweedearweed Member Posts: 5,192 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Somebody obviously has a lot of time on their hands. You should be spending that time studying instead of rearranging power cords.icon_wink.gif
    No longer work in IT. Play around with stuff sometimes still and fix stuff for friends and relatives.
  • Options
    SomnipotentSomnipotent Member Posts: 384
    earweed wrote: »
    Somebody obviously has a lot of time on their hands. You should be spending that time studying instead of rearranging power cords.icon_wink.gif

haters gonna hate icon_razz.gif
    Reading: Internetworking with TCP/IP: Principles, Protocols, and Architecture (D. Comer)
  • Options
    earweedearweed Member Posts: 5,192 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Just ragging him because his cords look better than mineicon_wink.gif
    No longer work in IT. Play around with stuff sometimes still and fix stuff for friends and relatives.
  • Options
    shodownshodown Member Posts: 2,271
    vid of my lab to lazy for pics lol

Urban Cisco Engineer: Where have I been???
    Currently Reading

CUCM SRND 9x/10, UCCX SRND 10x, QOS SRND, SIP Trunking Guide, anything contact center related
  • Options
    Carpe JugulemCarpe Jugulem Member Posts: 17 ■□□□□□□□□□
    shodown wrote: »
    vid of my lab to lazy for pics lol

Urban Cisco Engineer: Where have I been???

Nice setup and books, shodown.

Here's my stuff:

IMG_7392.jpg
    My baby boy helping daddy out. :)

IMG_7393.jpg

IMG_7394.jpg

(Skeletek, Old Vaio Laptop, 2 x 2950s, 3550 EMI, 3 x 2620 XMs)

Definitely not as clean as a lot of your setups, but I'm pleased with it so far.
  • Options
  • Options
    PhildoBagginsPhildoBaggins Member Posts: 276
    Moved some stuff around lol. I got a bunch of memory, a WIC, and a NM coming in woo hoo. My little tower of power. Dont make fun of my reserved switches, right now i'm testing some topologies and its easier to get to the console port lol

2rgdqom.jpg
  • Options
    I decided to join the club, what club well "Club Skeletek" of course, put my 12U desktop rack on eBay, and ordered a 16U SkeleTek rack, here is a photo of the work in progress and more to come later:

Skeletek_1.jpg

Wont be completely done for a week or more as I am waiting on (2) 3550 Switches.
    Z3r0

c0op3r.com
  • Options
    My turn. I haven't joined Club Skel yet, but give me a year...

Forgive me if I've posted any of these before. And yes, that is Darth Sidious, Dark Lord of the Sith. You may bow down.

100_0993.jpg

100_1072.jpg

100_1218.jpg

100_1220.jpg
  • Options
    alan2308alan2308 Member Posts: 1,854 ■■■■■■■■□□
  • Options
    DevilWAHDevilWAH Member Posts: 2,997 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Well I have just had to walk away from my trusty lab icon_sad.gif leaving it all behind now I have left the company..

All I have is a poor lonely 2509 terminal server that I decided to save (a few other bits of the lab belonged to me but I thought I would leave them behind for others to play with.

My new company has a lot of lab equipment they have told me I will have access to, (remotely as well). So I am going to wait untill I have moved in to the new house to start rebuilding at home.

I have it planned though :) I am thinking my next lab will be a hybrid lab uterlising GNS 3 for much of the routing, leaving more money for getting some decent switches.
    • If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough. Albert Einstein
    • An arrow can only be shot by pulling it backward. So when life is dragging you back with difficulties. It means that its going to launch you into something great. So just focus and keep aiming.