Options

Interview Questions

RJ45RJ45 Member Posts: 19 ■□□□□□□□□□
Hi Guys,

Does anyone have typical interview questions for helpdesk jobs ?

Thanks

Comments

• Options
    sir_creamy_sir_creamy_ Inactive Imported Users Posts: 298
    For help desk jobs you will *ALWAYS* be asked a scenario-based question in which you've got 3 or 4 people coming to you at the same time with problems of different severity, and you're asked how you would handle the situation.

Answer to this question is simple: prioritize each problem and reassure each person that you'll attend to their needs as quickly as possible. Interviewer is trying to see how you remain calm under pressure - a big part of help desk work.

Cheers.
    Bachelor of Computer Science

[Forum moderators are my friends]
  • Options
    benbuiltpcbenbuiltpc Member Posts: 80 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I had a horrific 2 day interview for a help desk position a few years ago. By the time it was over I didn't want the job anymore. It seemed like more of a psychiatric evaluation rather than a skills review. I suppose some of it is necessary since you will be subjected to yelling and cursing customers/co-workers.

So be prepared to answer "How do you deal with stress", "What are your strong/weak points", "How well do you multi task", "How would you handle a rude customer", "Where do you see yourself in 10 years", and so on and so forth. Of course they may have a few IT questions but I'll bet most are character related.
  • Options
    RJ45RJ45 Member Posts: 19 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Thanks guys, its seems the road ive put on is correct going by your comments.
  • Options
    mrhaun03mrhaun03 Member Posts: 359
    For help desk jobs you will *ALWAYS* be asked a scenario-based question in which you've got 3 or 4 people coming to you at the same time with problems of different severity, and you're asked how you would handle the situation.

Answer to this question is simple: prioritize each problem and reassure each person that you'll attend to their needs as quickly as possible. Interviewer is trying to see how you remain calm under pressure - a big part of help desk work.

Cheers.

To add to this, give an example of how you could multi-task. I'm in a help desk position and recently got to interview a view potential interns. My boss is real big on multi-tasking. If you can give a good example that you're a multi-tasker, that shows you can handle stress pretty well...especially getting hit with 3-4 requests at a time.
    Working on Linux+
  • Options
    DirtySouthDirtySouth Member Posts: 314 ■□□□□□□□□□
    As far as technical questions, you should always know how to do the following:
    - Locate & change a workstation IP address
    - View driver version in the Device Manager
    - Steps to remove spyware/adware
    - Steps to fix a failed internet connection
    - Difference between FAT32 & NTFS (Don't know why they ask this, but I've had this question come up several times).
    - How to find install or update device drivers
    - How to install a printer

These are just a few of the basic questions I've run into. At the very least, you should be able to walk something through doing this without seeing the computer.
  • Options
    garv221garv221 Member Posts: 1,914
    Question 1- "Do you have a pulse?"
  • Options
    antonio banderasantonio banderas Member Posts: 102
    I was asked questions about :

Sub Net Mask

Default Gateway

CAC Card

Encyption: Public Key vs. Private Key

Creating a Network Printer Queue

Implicit vs. explicit permissions

and some other questions
    Network/Radiation Oncology Analyst III
  • Options
    sir_creamy_sir_creamy_ Inactive Imported Users Posts: 298
    "How do you work in a team situation when all the other team members are fools and idiots?"

"How well do you program under the influence of hard drugs?"

"Have you ever beaten or killed a co-worker?"

"Give me a rough estimate of the maximum dollar amount that you've stolen from each of your previous employers."

"Do you object to bullwhips in the workplace?"

"Emacs or vi?"

"You see a wounded puppy bleeding and whimpering on the side of the road while you're running to work to fix a downed computer that tens of users are waiting for. Do you let the puppy die?" "Why not?"

"How much of your workday would you waste by reading news?"
    Bachelor of Computer Science

[Forum moderators are my friends]
  • Options
    rock360rock360 Member Posts: 20 ■□□□□□□□□□
    "How do you work in a team situation when all the other team members are fools and idiots?"

"Give me a rough estimate of the maximum dollar amount that you've stolen from each of your previous employers."

"Do you object to bullwhips in the workplace?"

"Emacs or vi?"

"You see a wounded puppy bleeding and whimpering on the side of the road while you're running to work to fix a downed computer that tens of users are waiting for. Do you let the puppy die?" "Why not?"

"How much of your workday would you waste by reading news?"

ROFLZ
  • Options
    ehndeehnde Member Posts: 1,103
    "Emacs or vi?"

Give me vi or give me death.
    Climb a mountain, tell no one.
  • Options
    sudheer123sudheer123 Registered Users Posts: 1 ■□□□□□□□□□
    typical interview questions are:
    1.why do you want this job?
    2.have you got any Questions?
    3.describe a situvation in which you lead a team?
    4.what do you expect to be doing in 5 years time?
    5.what are your weaknesses?
    6.who else have you applied to/got interviews with?
    7.What are your strengths?
    8.What has been your greatest achievement?
    like this Questions only

Regards
    Interview Questions
  • Options
    cyberguyprcyberguypr Mod Posts: 6,928 Mod
    Wow, this thread cam back from the dead.

Seems like someone forgot to add the right answers

It depends. You and how many others are in the team?

Define "hard"

Once. But they couldn't prove I did it. The evidence was circumstantial.

Wish I could count that high
  • Options
    CodeBloxCodeBlox Member Posts: 1,363 ■■■■□□□□□□
    It sounds like a bad idea to go into an interview relying on a predefined set of questions. If they don't ask any of them, your whole plan could collapse quicker than a foam cup in a crocodile's jaws.
    Currently reading: Network Warrior, Unix Network Programming by Richard Stevens
  • Options
    PPforLifePPforLife Member Posts: 60 ■■□□□□□□□□
    cyberguypr wrote: »
    Wow, this thread cam back from the dead.

Seems like someone forgot to add the right answers

It depends. You and how many others are in the team?

Define "hard"

Once. But they couldn't prove I did it. The evidence was circumstantial.

Wish I could count that high

LOL, gave me a few chuckle
  • Options
    LordQarlynLordQarlyn Member Posts: 693 ■■■■■■□□□□
    CodeBlox wrote: »
    It sounds like a bad idea to go into an interview relying on a predefined set of questions. If they don't ask any of them, your whole plan could collapse quicker than a foam cup in a crocodile's jaws.
    Amen to that! Happened to me when I was interviewing for a logistics job in Taiwan lol.