Options

*TechNotes* Network+

Comments

• Options
    PlantwizPlantwiz Mod Posts: 5,057 Mod
    Good afternoon,

I am studying for the N10-004, is there any chance on this file being updated anytime soon? If not any suggestions on what is more relevant and what things are no longer on the exam or no longer focused on as much. I really do not want to cram my brain too full of things that may not be on the exam.

You will find the content is current.

If you desire to know what changes between N10-003 vs N10-004 then download the objectives and compare.

It doesn't sound that you are very motivated if you are worried about over filling you brain with information. icon_rolleyes.gif

HINT: becoming certified isn't about just knowing what is on the exam, it is about making yourself useful to the industry. Whether you work for yourself (and your clients directly) or work for someone else...if you cannot handle preparing for a CompTIA exam, perhaps you should look into a different career??

icon_study.gif
    Plantwiz
    _____
    "Grammar and spelling aren't everything, but this is a forum, not a chat room. You have plenty of time to spell out the word "you", and look just a little bit smarter." by Phaideaux

***I'll add you can Capitalize the word 'I' to show a little respect for yourself too.

'i' before 'e' except after 'c'.... weird?
  • Options
    Vancity.rigelVancity.rigel Member Posts: 14 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I do have a tendency, to ramble on at times, I apologize. I do suppose I could have worded things better. It was meant to be more light hearted. I should have just stuck with my original thought/request if there was going to be a specific update to bring the document up to N10-004.

I specifically bought the Network + Guide by Lammle, because several reviewers said it went beyond just the information required to pass. I do want to have a really broad base to work from. If I had wanted just to pass I could have done a brain ****. Ok starting to ramble on here. I am still new to the community, and my sense of humour is a bit off at times.

Again I am sorry if I seemed like a ID 10 T.
  • Options
    PlantwizPlantwiz Mod Posts: 5,057 Mod
    ...I specifically bought the Network + Guide by Lammle,.....

This would not have been my choice, nor recommendation.

Meyers and Sybex are both well known and respected over the years because they are written well and cover a good depth of the information not only for exam prep but also for working knowledge.

I did not care for Lammle's book the last I reviewed it, but you may find it suits you well.

YMMV
    Plantwiz
    _____
    "Grammar and spelling aren't everything, but this is a forum, not a chat room. You have plenty of time to spell out the word "you", and look just a little bit smarter." by Phaideaux

***I'll add you can Capitalize the word 'I' to show a little respect for yourself too.

'i' before 'e' except after 'c'.... weird?
  • Options
    Vancity.rigelVancity.rigel Member Posts: 14 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Hrm, I thought I had bought the Sybex book.
    On the back it says Sybex an imprint of Wiley.
    ISBN 978-0-470-42748-4
    CompTIA Network+ Deluxe Study Guide Exam N10-004 Todd Lammle.
    Who is the author From the Sybex version you are talking about?
    I will definitely check into Meyers.
    Thanks for the advice.
  • Options
    ckytockyto Member Posts: 1 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Hello members of this forum,

I've just registered. I, too, am planing on taking this network+ exam, when I feel I'm more than ready. I already have some knowledge in the networking field, as it was part of my study at the high school. Still, I want to improve my knowledge, and take this certification, and then moving to Cisco.

Anyway... Allow me to thank Johan Hiemstra for providing the PDF. Thank you.

I also had intentions to buy CompTIA Network+ Deluxe Study Guide: (Exam N10-004) by Todd Lammle, which I had found it at Sybex.com (CompTIA Network+: CompTIA Network+ Deluxe Study Guide: (Exam N10-004) - Book Information - Sybex).

Plantwiz, please do not consider like I'm being rude (far from it), but why do you say it wouldn't be in your choices? You say that Sybex and Myers would be the best, but the mentioned book is from Sybex - Wiley.

I searched for that book, after seeing the author mentioned in a local forum for CCNA. I wondered if it would be that great in what comes to the Comptia Network+.

But, now that I've seen your post, I wonder if Todd Lammle is that a great author?

(I'm still discovering what options are out there, since in my country there are practically no mentions to any books or training videos.)

Thank you.
  • Options
    tlipurtlipur Member Posts: 5 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Just finished reading McGraw.Hill.CompTIA.Network.+Certification.Study.Guide.4thN10-004
    Pretty darn good book going to take the exam soon!!
  • Options
    peanut butterpeanut butter Member Posts: 1 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Hi johan,

Thanks for your efforts. Your technotes is simple n very clear. Is it possible to have technotes for 2009 objectives? I am a Filipino and currently attending training of Network + 2009 objectives(n10-004). If you have or if you can, please help by providing that technotes so i can read them before i'll take the exam. thanks to you.
  • Options
    kurosaki00kurosaki00 Member Posts: 973
    im studying for the network+ 2009 exam and
    Ive been checking out the forum technotes and hmm
    Seems 2009 version has less linux/mac troubleshooting stuff?
    I'm studying from another material and have the objectives list and It seems they toned down on linux data.
    meh
  • Options
    WebmasterWebmaster Admin Posts: 10,292 Admin
    While most of the information in my Network+ TechNotes should still be relevant for the current Network+ exam, the main outline for the TechNotes are the 'older' exam objectives so it very possible it's not only incomplete, but also contains some topics that might no longer be relevant for the exam. Personally I think the TechNotes are already so concise that it won't hurt to at least read all the topics it covers.

Also, the exam objectives published by CompTIA are merely examples of what topics can be on the exam. Even items that have explicitly been removed from the list might still appear on the exam (because though outdated/older, it's still part of basic networking knowledge).

I certainly will update the Network+ TechNotes including the pdf again, but it's impossible for me to give an estimate on when it will be released.
  • Options
    kurosaki00kurosaki00 Member Posts: 973
    Webmaster wrote: »
    While most of the information in my Network+ TechNotes should still be relevant for the current Network+ exam, the main outline for the TechNotes are the 'older' exam objectives so it very possible it's not only incomplete, but also contains some topics that might no longer be relevant for the exam. Personally I think the TechNotes are already so concise that it won't hurt to at least read all the topics it covers.

Also, the exam objectives published by CompTIA are merely examples of what topics can be on the exam. Even items that have explicitly been removed from the list might still appear on the exam (because though outdated/older, it's still part of basic networking knowledge).

I certainly will update the Network+ TechNotes including the pdf again, but it's impossible for me to give an estimate on when it will be released.

Oh i just meant the commentary as general. U know as... they toned down linux troubleshooting. Thats all.
    I appreciate the technotes and the forum! A lot!
    I used the A+ notes of the forums (with other material) and I passed the exams.
    The technotes are really handy.
    I'm just stating that they kind of dropped linux a bit, instead of conserving it or adding a bit more (one would say is the obvious step).
    meh
  • Options
    seliceselice Member Posts: 9 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Seems like this project died due to insufficient time Mister? :)

Am I correct to think that the main difference between 2005 and 2009 is in the content? The 2009 will have a bit more? I printed your PDF yesterday and it seems to have pretty much everything. At least it goes hand in hand with some Tutorial videos I got my hands on.

Is there really that much material that has been removed?

The TechNotes you did are ABSOLUTELY WICKED, worth even paying for. Saves me writing everything down. :)

Cheers.
  • Options
    nikole95.7nikole95.7 Registered Users Posts: 1 ■□□□□□□□□□
    randycgaz wrote: »
    Just found your notes. Very informative. I passed the the A+ tests last month, and am studying for the Net+ now.
    I got the MCP for W2Kpro last year.
    What do you think, should I go for the 70-215 and 70-218 to try for the MCSA or should I skip the rest of the Micrsoft stuff and go for the iNet+?
    I'm almost done with the next TechNote, currently trying to figure out how to explain frame relay without throwing around an overload of abbreviations and details you don't need to know for the exam
  • Options
    charlesc09charlesc09 Member Posts: 89 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I wish there was tech notes for server+
  • Options
    Pollo LocoPollo Loco Registered Users Posts: 5 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Any word on when this might be?

• Options
    Pollo Loco wrote: »
    Any word on when this might be?
    Unfortunately no, I just don't have the time to work on these atm and I don't expect I will for the next couple of months. It's still on my ToDo list and I will probably update a few individual TechNotes after finishing our next Network+ practice exam - which I am working on on-and-off - but I don't have an eta for an updated pdf or the majority of the online TechNotes. Well, I'm 'hoping' to be able to spend time on this "before May", but that's not much more than a hope.
  • Options
    tboetboe Member Posts: 44 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Johan!

I am new to this site and for what i see you are very well respected and trusted. I want to say thanks! for the for The net+ notes I will be using them to help me study for my first cert I am going after. will your notes alone give me what i need to pass it? any tips or additional suggestions?? I really want to pass my first attempt.
  • Options
    johan,

Sorry! I didnt read the previous posts before asking a question. any tips from anyone in the room? books,guides, etc????
  • Options
    tboe wrote: »
    johan,

Sorry! I didnt read the previous posts before asking a question. any tips from anyone in the room? books,guides, etc????
    No problem. And besides that the notes aren't updated for the latest Network+ version and where used as a supplement not alternative, I would always recommend using more than one guide, or combine a book with a CBT for example. How much you need to study also depends a lot on your experience and prior education, so it differs per person.

I suggest reading some of the many "I passed" threads in this forum to get an idea what others are using/recommend.
  • Options
    No problem. And besides that the notes aren't updated for the latest Network+ version and where used as a supplement not alternative, I would always recommend using more than one guide, or combine a book with a CBT for example. How much you need to study also depends a lot on your experience and prior education, so it differs per person.

I suggest reading some of the many "I passed" threads in this forum to get an idea what others are using/recommend.

I skimmed over your tech notes earlier and from the looks of it, I will not have to study that hard after all. most of the topics and tools I deal with on a daily basis with my job. Im Seeking this cert for a possible promotion,personal retention and credability.Thanks for your advice Johan, I will most def inheret your advice.
  • Options
    I skimmed over your tech notes earlier and from the looks of it, I will not have to study that hard after all. most of the topics and tools I deal with on a daily basis with my job.
    Download the exam objectives from Exam Objectives if you haven't yet, it contains a fairly complete list of what you can expect on the exam.
  • Options
    DigitalDivaDigitalDiva Member Posts: 5 ■□□□□□□□□□
    This is great, thanks for sharing
  • Options
    kremitkremit Member Posts: 85 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I skimmed over your tech notes earlier and from the looks of it, I will not have to study that hard after all. most of the topics and tools I deal with on a daily basis with my job.

My thoughts exactly. I am going over this cram exam thinking why am i reading about password policies and how kerberos works. My biggest weakness is ports memerization. icon_sad.gif
    Pending:
    640-816; ITIL 2011
    2013:
    Sharepoint, ITIL, CCNA
  • Options
    cmitchell_00cmitchell_00 Member Posts: 251 ■■■□□□□□□□
    kremit wrote: »
    My thoughts exactly. I am going over this cram exam thinking why am i reading about password policies and how kerberos works. My biggest weakness is ports memerization. icon_sad.gif

You can use the port practice exam from this site which helped me a lot on the Net + & Sec. + exams but, your CCENT should get you through the rest.

Side Note: Comptia's Network + is more simplistic than the CCENT exam.
  • Options
    anubhav65anubhav65 Member Posts: 6 ■□□□□□□□□□
    can i know plz are these notes even valid for N10-005 exam?
  • Options
    paulgswansonpaulgswanson Member Posts: 311
    The information is valid, however it's more of a suppliment. Compare ther Objectives for 004 and 005 and you'll see what was updated
    And besides that the notes aren't updated for the latest Network+ version and where used as a supplement not alternative, I would always recommend using more than one guide, or combine a book with a CBT for example. How much you need to study also depends a lot on your experience and prior education, so it differs per person.

http://paulswansonblog.wordpress.com/
    WGU Progress: B.S. Network Management & Design <- I quit (got bored)
  • Options
    DDWingateDDWingate Member Posts: 16 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Thanks!

How about one on routing? It seems like a whole subject unto itself, im having trouble wrapping my head around all that
    www.historyofpleasantview.blogspot.com
    Doug's Declassified History of Pleasantview - The Second Greatest Story Ever Told!
    Subscribe Today!
  • Options
    mady0009mady0009 Member Posts: 11 ■□□□□□□□□□
  • Options
    M-Margetson2011M-Margetson2011 Registered Users Posts: 1 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Been Struggling to try and find some last minute cram notes for the Net+ exam this has been perfect, I can follow the study guide then take a practice test. V.Happy :D
  • Options
    Chev ChelliosChev Chellios Member Posts: 343 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Just wanted to say that's a great guide, thank you for putting it together and updating it where possible, cheers :)
  • Options
    cryptonightcryptonight Banned Posts: 7 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I agree. Thanks for that. Would love to see it updated with 10-005 now that 2015 is nearly upon us!