GCIH Certified!

jplee3jplee3 Posts: 49Member ■■□□□□□□□□
Hey guys,

Got my GCIH Cert yesterday. 96%!!!

I'm so relieved at this point, and just glad that I passed. Thanks to all who have given me advice/tips/etc.

The test wasn't extremely difficult but it wasn't too easy either. 4 hours for 150 questions was *plenty* of time IMHO. I finished about 1.5 hours earlier.


One downer to note: if anyone is interested in the SANS work study, they no longer offer a certification attempt with the package UNLESS you stay at the hotel where the event is being hosted. That's at least another $500~ right there! I got this info directly from the work study coordinator after emailing to inquire about applying [again] to future events as a volunteer facilitator.

So I probably won't be doing work study with them again - that's just too much $$$ from my pocket. icon_sad.gif

Comments

  • dynamikdynamik Posts: 12,314Banned ■■■■■■■■□□
    Sorry to hear about the work-study situation. Regardless, that seems like a pretty sweet accomplishment (not to mention a great score)!

    What's your background? This seems like a pretty specialized cert. I assume this is your area of expertise (or at least one of them).
  • shednikshednik Posts: 2,005Member
    Congrats on the pass!! How did you like the material covered in this exam?
  • jplee3jplee3 Posts: 49Member ■■□□□□□□□□
    dynamik wrote:
    Sorry to hear about the work-study situation. Regardless, that seems like a pretty sweet accomplishment (not to mention a great score)!

    What's your background? This seems like a pretty specialized cert. I assume this is your area of expertise (or at least one of them).

    Thanks! I've been doing 'security-related' work for the past 2.5 years. It first started off with reviewing Windows event viewer logs and has extended into various other areas [although in a VERY limited capacity]. Now I look the IPS/IDS events and logs, use DLP software, and run Nessus scans for various purposes (one being scanning for sensitive information across multiple systems). I'm sure this cert is pretty specialized. I was looking to get the GSEC, but due to circumstances and opportunities, I had to 'settle' with the GCIH, which I have no qualms about! Prior to all of this I was doing QA testing at a company that is now owned by EMC2. That gave me the grounds for "log review" and "attention to detail" I suppose.
    shednik wrote:
    Congrats on the pass!! How did you like the material covered in this exam?

    I thought the material was pretty well-rounded and covered a good amount of topics. Obviously, not every single thing out there was covered but it gave a good idea of what to look for and how to defend/respond both ahead of time and after the fact. The material really reinforces the PICERL process.
  • JDMurrayJDMurray Certification Invigilator Surf City, USAPosts: 11,449Admin Admin
    jplee3 wrote:
    One downer to note: if anyone is interested in the SANS work study, they no longer offer a certification attempt with the package UNLESS you stay at the hotel where the event is being hosted. That's at least another $500~ right there! I got this info directly from the work study coordinator after emailing to inquire about applying [again] to future events as a volunteer facilitator.
    SANS really wants that kick-back from the hotel for getting a guest to stay there.
Sign In or Register to comment.