Options

minimum ios for routers on ccna

rotinhell2568rotinhell2568 Member Posts: 63 ■■□□□□□□□□
what is the minimum ios i need on a 2501 so i can learn basic stuff for ccna?

Comments

• Options
    kalebkspkalebksp Member Posts: 1,033 ■■■■■□□□□□
    I think you need to qualify what you mean by basic. You could use 11.2 and learn basic stuff. You'll probably want a 12.3 IP Plus IOS, as it's the most current, it also depends on how much Flash and DRAM your router has.
  • Options
    i know it needs to have 16/16 but is 12.1 enough to do most of the stuff needed to do on the ccna level and maybe some ccnp level
  • Options
  • Options
    drew2000drew2000 Member Posts: 290
    I've heard that 12.x is new enough for CCENT/NA, but I've not taken the test yet myself.

Drew
  • Options
    SlowhandSlowhand Mod Posts: 5,161 Mod
    From my understanding, version 12.3 of the IOS should serve you well for most things you'll see on the CCNA (640-802) exam, or the corresponding ICND1 and ICND2 exams. In reality, you'll want to run 12.4, especially when working towards the CCNP exams, as the newer features will be tested on. I may be corrected by one of the higher-up Cisco gurus on the specifics, but that's going to be your safest bet: version 12.3 or higher.

Free Microsoft Training: Microsoft Learn
    Free PowerShell Resources: Top PowerShell Blogs
    Free DevOps/Azure Resources: Visual Studio Dev Essentials

Let it never be said that I didn't do the very least I could do.
  • Options
    i can get two 2501 routers with ios 12.2 and two transceivers for 15 a piece. Is this a good deal?
  • Options
    dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
    i can get two 2501 routers with ios 12.2 and two transceivers for 15 a piece. Is this a good deal?

That's typical. What's the memory? I wouldn't get them unless they were maxed.
  • Options
  • Options
    dynamik wrote: »
    That's typical. What's the memory? I wouldn't get them unless they were maxed.
    You can tell that dynamik plays D&D, (or is secretly Red Mage.) He's all about the min/max action. icon_lol.gif

• Options
    jbaellojbaello Member Posts: 1,191 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I believe I'm using 12.1 and I don't recommend it, it's a very old IOS back from 1998 or so, does't even have SSH for VTY.
  • Options
    mgeorgemgeorge Member Posts: 774 ■■■□□□□□□□
    c2500-is-l.123-26.bin and c2500-is-l.122-15.T17.bin will be the only two images you really need to use.

You can easily find these images with google :)
    There is no place like 127.0.0.1
  • Options
    does anybody know where i can find a guide on how to update the IOS?
  • Options
    mikej412mikej412 Member Posts: 10,086 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Software Installation and Upgrade Procedure for the 1600, 2000, 2500, 3000, AS5100, and AS5200

And this Cisco Software Upgrade Procedure document covers the 1000 1400 1600-R 1700 2600 2800 3600 3700 3800 4000 4700 AS5300 and MC3810 Series Routers.
    :mike: Cisco Certifications -- Collect the Entire Set!
  • Options
    mgeorge what are those two images for? Are they the IOS? If so which one? What's the latest ios i can run on a 16/16 2500 series router and where can i download it?
  • Options
    if i get a cisco 1720 router what is the minimum amount of ram and flash i'll need to run ios 12.4
  • Options
    This has been posted many times: http://cisco.com/go/fn
    It will tell you what IOS any and every router or switch can run and how much memory they need to run it. I usually click "Search by Platform", select the router I want information about and click "Continue", then click "Show All Software". Ta da!
  • Options
    mgeorgemgeorge Member Posts: 774 ■■■□□□□□□□
    mgeorge what are those two images for? Are they the IOS? If so which one? What's the latest ios i can run on a 16/16 2500 series router and where can i download it?

12.3(26) is the LAST image released for the 2500.

both of those images are ip plus. the 12.2(15)T17 IP Plus contains IPv6, OSPFv3 and RIPng.
    There is no place like 127.0.0.1
  • Options
    boostinbadgerboostinbadger Member Posts: 256
    What would the minimum feature set need to be to run the topology suggested by "The Bryant Advantage?"

pictured here: http://www.thebryantadvantage.com/images/Fast%20Track%20Topology.jpg

I am using three 1760s for routers and a 2612 for the Frame Switch. All of these are running the minimum flash and RAM.
  • Options
    ipbasek9 would be sufficient wouldn't it?
  • Options
    Most any IOS will run that topology, you should be more concerned with what protocols are going to be used in the labs. Once you know the protocols, you can find out whether your IOS will run them using the Cisco Feature Navigator (http://cisco.com/go/fn).
  • Options
    what do you guys think about the cisco 2524 router. I can get one for 20 bucks with 16/16. Will i have to buy a wic-1t card to use serial? If it does is it still worth it to buy. I can get a wic-1t card for 25 bucks with free shipping
  • Options
    2524s support only a few WIC cards, and $20 for the router plus $25 for a WIC card is way too much to be spending on a 2500 series (ignoring the access servers and frame switches). For $55 you should be able to find a 2600 series.
  • Options
    if a get a router with 8mb of flash could i buy another 8mb stick and put it in to make a total of 16mb or is their only one slot for flash
  • Options
    They are decent lab routers. We used them in the Cisco Network Academy. I have three right here in front of me.
  • Options
    is 47 bucks a good deal for one that comes with a wic-1t. Also the guy doesn't know how much memory it has. What is the minimum memory that they come with?
  • Options
    do you guys think that that one is a good deal. He says he doesn't know anything about how much ram or flash or what ios it has
  • Options
    mikej412mikej412 Member Posts: 10,086 ■■■■■■■■■■
    If it has 64/32 then it's a deal. But you'd have to price memory and flash upgrades and consider that possible added cost, since it probably isn't maxed out on memory. Would that cost still be less than the other current 1721s with 64/32 available for $33 ($19 + $14 shipping to my zip) plus the cost of a WIC-1T (including the shipping)? The cheapest Buy-it-Now WICs are just under $28 each (with shipping).

You'd have to do the math and ask yourself if you feel lucky.
    :mike: Cisco Certifications -- Collect the Entire Set!
  • Options
    The 1721 routers are an excellent choice, especially if you're planning on building a lab to study for CCNP, (and beyond). They officially run version 12.3 of the IOS, but can support a specialized, non-production version of 12.4, so they do run the latest version and are excellent for playing around with the newer features. Just make sure that the one(s) you buy come with the proper cards, or you'll have to buy those seperately.

• Options
    i just bought two cisco 2501 routers with two transceivers off of ebay. I now have two routers and 1 switch. I know i will have to upgrade the ram on the routers but i can worry about that a little later. Do you guys know what else i will need to buy to get a solid foundaition for working with cisco equipment for the CCNA?