Where next - ITIL Practitoner?

DruidDruid Member Posts: 11 ■□□□□□□□□□
Hi All

I have not posted here for a while as I have been busy working on a technical service desk for the past two years after passing my A+ and feeling my feet

It has been a great opportunity and I really enjoy the role including all of its demands, we cover a lot of bespoke software as well as needing a good working knowledge of MS apps, 'we' are a team of eight supporting 3,200 users, desktops, laptops and dumb terminals printers etc, working a 6am to 6pm shift pattern - great bunch of guy's I must say!

During this time I was tasked with keeping the companies knowledge base up to date, it has grown considerably since I started and with the companies expansion I find myself with the role of European KB Administrator as well as my SD role - keeps me interested - so where now?

I feel the need now for progression and decided to re-look at my options - I prefer to stay where I am (certainly until the market picks back up) and I'm considering the ITL Practitioner qualification - I have acquired a lot of info and software (v3) but I am surprised at the costs involved.

So really I am looking at the most cost effective solution for taking the foundation course then the Practitioner course - funding where I work here is certainly on hold at the moment!

All answers gratefully received

John
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Comments

• eMeSeMeS Member Posts: 1,875 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Druid wrote: »
    we cover a lot of bespoke software

It's clear you're in the UK :)

So really I am looking at the most cost effective solution for taking the foundation course then the Practitioner course - funding where I work here is certainly on hold at the moment!

In ITIL v3, what was the "practitioner" level has now been divided into two separate "streams". The first stream is the "lifecycle stream", which includes 5 modules, 1 that maps to each of the ITIL v3 books/lifecycle stages. These modules are targeted more for management-level understanding of the ITIL material.

The second stream is the "capability" stream, which inlcudes 4 modules. These courses are targeted more towards the people that actually do the various work described throughout ITIL.

Here's the official link to the ITIL v3 Qualification Scheme: http://www.itil-officialsite.com/Qualifications/ITILV3QualsDiagram.asp

Regarding where to find low cost options, first, as you know one must earn the foundation certification to proceed into the intermediate level of ITIL certification.

Foundation is something that can very much be accomplished by self-study. I would highly recommend taking that approach. There are plenty of free materials that can prepare you for the exam, so your costs should roughly be the exam fee.

The intermediate-level courses are a different story. You must attend the course in order to sit the exam. The exams are also much more difficult and have a much lower pass percentage. There are a number of providers offering various versions of these courses (from online self-study to traditional classroom settings). You will also find wild diversity in the pricing.

At this point, I've yet to see any of these courses delivered in a non-traditional way that I am comfortable recommending. I'm not even comfortable recommending many of the traditional delivery of these courses. The intermediate courses are still somewhat new, and it's my opinion that some "bugs" still need to be worked out at this level.

However, that does not mean that there are not good training options available, and that you can find low-cost solutions to meet your needs. I suggest searching for "ITIL v3 Intermediate Courses" and see what you get and it any of it is a fit.

Best wishes,

MS
  • jonny72jonny72 Member Posts: 69 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I was looking for the cheapest was of getting the intermediate level certs, best I found was The Art Of Service (The Art of Service - Home). They charge about £450 for the course and from what I can tell they are ITIL accredited, so it meets the ITIL cert requirements.

Anyone found anything better?
  • DruidDruid Member Posts: 11 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Thanks eMeS,

Btw, I was 'bowled over' by your qualifications, makes me feel humble....and very British icon_wink.gif

Thanks for taking time out to answer my query, it is always a tad difficult finding a way forward, your reply has taken that issue out for me - I have the V3 Foundation software and it looks good 'chewy' reading - the nuggets are easily explained - the vids make it all the more easier to grasp.

Thanks for the link as well, all very much appreciated

John
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • eMeSeMeS Member Posts: 1,875 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Thanks eMeS,

Btw, I was 'bowled over' by your qualifications, makes me feel humble....and very British icon_wink.gif

Thanks for taking time out to answer my query, it is always a tad difficult finding a way forward, your reply has taken that issue out for me - I have the V3 Foundation software and it looks good 'chewy' reading - the nuggets are easily explained - the vids make it all the more easier to grasp.

Thanks for the link as well, all very much appreciated

John

Thank you for the compliment and best of luck to you...I'm actually taking a couple of the new ITIL Intermediate exams this Thursday and Friday...they're making those of us that are acredited trainers pass each exam for each class that is to be taught....regardless of holding expert, etc...

So, I have to stick another ~$2600 into the ITIL machine for 9 more exams covering material that I know like the back of my hand...At least I don't have to sit through the associated classes!

I'll report back as to how these exams go...I'm expecting them to be pretty tough...

PS: I highly recommend getting a copy of the Official ITIL Glossary when you study for the foundation exam. I recommend this in every foundation class that I deliver.

MS