Options

Book for Itil Foundation Exam!!

Guys what do u think about this book ITIL V3 Foundation Complete Certification Kit - Study Guide Book and Online Course (Paperback)??
Amazon.com: ITIL V3 Foundation Complete Certification Kit - Study Guide Book and Online Course (9780980485240): Tim Malone, Michael Wedemeyer, Gerard Blokdijk: Books

If you have a different book that you can recommend me .. please let me know!
close to MCSA!!

Comments

• Options
    eMeSeMeS Member Posts: 1,875 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Guys what do u think about this book ITIL V3 Foundation Complete Certification Kit - Study Guide Book and Online Course (Paperback)??
    Amazon.com: ITIL V3 Foundation Complete Certification Kit - Study Guide Book and Online Course (9780980485240): Tim Malone, Michael Wedemeyer, Gerard Blokdijk: Books

I haven't seen this book personally, but have heard that it is fairly decent.

However, my well-thought out opinion is that you probably don't need a book to complete the ITIL Foundation certification.

MS
  • Options
    tenroutenrou Member Posts: 108
    I've picked up the Official ITIL study aid and it's as dry as the Sahara it's like reading the 55 page online glossary. I'd really quite like a book that focused more on real world implimentation examples. Even the CBT Nugget videos I'm finding really hard to digest.

Anyone got any suggestions?
  • Options
    tenrou wrote: »
    I've picked up the Official ITIL study aid and it's as dry as the Sahara it's like reading the 55 page online glossary. I'd really quite like a book that focused more on real world implimentation examples. Even the CBT Nugget videos I'm finding really hard to digest.

Anyone got any suggestions?

I agree, most of the books written on ITIL are exactly as you've described. I'd go a step further though and add "pseudoscientific".

I decided a couple of months ago to fill this void in the market. As of today, I have a book nearing publication that should exceed your requirements. It will be available within the next couple of weeks.

MS
  • Options
    tenroutenrou Member Posts: 108
    I'll keep an eye out for it and I hope it's met with success.

There's deffinitely a hole in the market for it.
  • Options
    contentproscontentpros Member Posts: 115 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Sorry to reply a little late on this...

you might want to check out:

Amazon.com: ITIL V3 Foundation Complete Certification Kit - 2009 Edition: Study Guide Book and Online Course (9781921573606): Tim Malone, Ivanka Menken, Gerard Blokdijk: Books

This is the current refresh of that kit I am currently using it for my studies the book is nothing fancy it is a no fluff, the basics of what you need to know it is 160 pages of generously spaced large type and diagrams. The online course is many of the same slides narrated by the author with some other tidbits thrown in for context and color.

The reading is a bit dry but the upside is that it is an easy read that goes pretty quick. Additionally you have access to the forums of other people that have either taken the exam or that are currently studying for the exam. The forums have a bunch of good tips and the authors are very active in the forums to help coach you and clarify concepts.

Could you study with materials you find online and stuff probably but personally I think this book and course were $89 well spent but I guess the real answer will be when I sit the exam next week.

Good Luck,

~Cp
  • Options
    veritas_libertasveritas_libertas Member Posts: 5,746 ■■■■■■■■■■
    eMeS wrote: »
    I agree, most of the books written on ITIL are exactly as you've described. I'd go a step further though and add "pseudoscientific".

I decided a couple of months ago to fill this void in the market. As of today, I have a book nearing publication that should exceed your requirements. It will be available within the next couple of weeks.

MS

Is your book available yet? I am thinking about the test sometime next year.

Also, do you think it takes a long time to study for?
  • Options
    Is your book available yet? I am thinking about the test sometime next year.

Also, do you think it takes a long time to study for?

It's scheduled to be published on 12/30. The list price will be $24.95. (IMO $89 is a bit outrageous).

I'd say roughly ~20 hours of study time.

Will you also be taking a class, or self-study only for the exam?

MS
  • Options
    It's scheduled to be published on 12/30. The list price will be $24.95. (IMO $89 is a bit outrageous).

I'd say roughly ~20 hours of study time.

Will you also be taking a class, or self-study only for the exam?

MS

Self Study since I figure it can't be worse than a Cisco test, right? Just more boring maybe :)

Your book price is more than reasonable IMO. The way your explain things on the forums makes me think I should be able to understand your book better than most. I am going to send you a PM later with some questions if it is alright.
  • Options
    Self Study since I figure it can't be worse than a Cisco test, right? Just more boring maybe :)

About equally as boring from what I can tell. :)
    Your book price is more than reasonable IMO. The way your explain things on the forums makes me think I should be able to understand your book better than most. I am going to send you a PM later with some questions if it is alright.

Yeah, that's fine.

I have some questions of my own:

1) How does Cinn. end up rated higher than TCU in the final standings?
    2) Why keep the BCS?

MS
  • Options
    About equally as boring from what I can tell. :)

Yeah, that's fine.

I have some questions of my own:

1) How does Cinn. end up rated higher than TCU in the final standings?
    2) Why keep the BCS?

MS

So it's not exactly a hard test?

As to 1 & 2, I have no idea :) I am not a big sports fan.
  • Options
    So it's not exactly a hard test?

It's easy for me to say it's not, but I live and breathe this stuff. It's got about an 87% pass rate worldwide. Students that attend my classes enjoy a 100% pass rate.
    As to 1 & 2, I have no idea :) I am not a big sports fan.

I'll help you out...BCS sucks. TCU got screwed.

Sorry...that's been on my mind this weekend.

MS
  • Options
    goforthbmerrygoforthbmerry Member Posts: 244

I used the book you are talking about. Actually I used the complete Certification Guide with the online training. The price may be steeper than some want to pay but I can vouch for the quality of the material. I used it and was able to quickly study the material and pass the exam. It covered the vast majority of the information on the exam thoroughly enough to cover the scope of the exam. One of the reasons some people apparently have trouble with the exam is that they over think the question. The scope of the Foundations exam is just the basic concepts and terminology. The Art of Service does a good job of providing support and I found the forums useful for last minute questions about the material.

If there was a weak area for the book it is the lack of complete coverage of the tools used by ITIL. It is on the website resources and I understand that it will be included in the next version of the book. However, I have never heard anyone report that they had more than one question about that section on their exam. (But most had one).

Overall, I recommend the book.

Good luck to you.
    Going for MCSE:security, Intermediate ITIL, PMP