Options

So im giving the ITIL a shot

tdeantdean Member Posts: 520
even though after watching the cbt, i think i kinda liked it, although i still dont really know what i just saw. icon_sad.gif seems like a lot of common sense wrapped up into corporate speak? either way, does anyone know of any practice questions for the v3 foundations? or if there is any way you would suggest i can see if im ready to take the test... work on weaknesses... i've read through almost every post here... nuthin is jumping out at me. my head sure hurts though.

Comments

• Options
    eMeSeMeS Member Posts: 1,875 ■■■■■■■■■□
    tdean wrote: »
    even though after watching the cbt, i think i kinda liked it, although i still dont really know what i just saw. icon_sad.gif seems like a lot of common sense wrapped up into corporate speak? either way, does anyone know of any practice questions for the v3 foundations? or if there is any way you would suggest i can see if im ready to take the test... work on weaknesses... i've read through almost every post here... nuthin is jumping out at me. my head sure hurts though.

Exin provides some sample exams here:

IT Service Management Foundation - EXIN Exams

I have some that I've written, if you are connected to me on LinkedIn, they are available on my profile for download.

MS
  • Options
    Matt_SmiMatt_Smi Member Posts: 111 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I used Transcender practice exams and they were very useful in preparing for the test and the questions were generally harder than the ones on the actual test. They are not cheap tho at $120 for the test but well worth it IMO in getting you prepared for the test.
  • Options
    Matt_Smi wrote: »
    I used Transcender practice exams and they were very useful in preparing for the test and the questions were generally harder than the ones on the actual test. They are not cheap tho at $120 for the test but well worth it IMO in getting you prepared for the test.

IMO that's a terribly outrageous price to pay for practice exams for this exam....

MS
  • Options
    petedudepetedude Member Posts: 1,510
    eMeS wrote: »
    IMO that's a terribly outrageous price to pay for practice exams for this exam....
    MS

That's a high price to pay for most practice exams. Problem is, it's a niche market, and Transcender practically has it to themselves.

The value's also in the eye of the beholder. If someone needs an ITIL cert to make a significant jump into a higher-level position, then the $120 may get repaid a few times over.

It would be nice to see more low-cost prep materials, though. Especially here in the States. . .
    Even if you're on the right track, you'll get run over if you just sit there.
    --Will Rogers
  • Options
    Matt_SmiMatt_Smi Member Posts: 111 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I too agree they are pricey, however in the license agreement they do allow you to use it on two different machines, so what I usually do is split the cost $60/$60 with a co-worker or friend who is taking the test as well. One practice exam vendor I have found that is not too pricey ($80) is ucertify, they give you practice exams, the exam objective, study notes, ect. all in one suite. It is not as good as transcender but I have installed a few demos and they are pretty good for the price.

EX0-101: Exin ITIL Foundation v.3 210+ questions -uCertify
  • Options
    petedude wrote: »
    That's a high price to pay for most practice exams. Problem is, it's a niche market, and Transcender practically has it to themselves.

The value's also in the eye of the beholder. If someone needs an ITIL cert to make a significant jump into a higher-level position, then the $120 may get repaid a few times over.

It would be nice to see more low-cost prep materials, though. Especially here in the States. . .

I'm going to disagree here. There are countless free ITIL practice exams that are available. In fact, I've written some of these myself for both v2 and v3, and I make them available for free download from my LinkedIn profile.

Plus, where exactly is the significant career jump to a higher-level position that only requires an ITIL Foundation cert? Sorry, I know this market well, and I just can't see the lowest level ITIL cert making all that much of a difference.

MS
  • Options
    petedudepetedude Member Posts: 1,510
    Plus, where exactly is the significant career jump to a higher-level position that only requires an ITIL Foundation cert? Sorry, I know this market well, and I just can't see the lowest level ITIL cert making all that much of a difference.

I suppose I should have provided more detail. If you already have at least an undergraduate degree, that ITIL cert can give you boost up into management. I can't tell you how many nice jobs I've seen listed that require the degree + ITIL, or prefer ITIL certified candidates. If that cert stands between you and a five-plus figure job, I think a $120 practice exam is justifiable. Of course, the ROI on a free exam is SO much better. . . :)
    Even if you're on the right track, you'll get run over if you just sit there.
    --Will Rogers
  • Options
    petedude wrote: »
    I suppose I should have provided more detail. If you already have at least an undergraduate degree, that ITIL cert can give you boost up into management. I can't tell you how many nice jobs I've seen listed that require the degree + ITIL, or prefer ITIL certified candidates. If that cert stands between you and a five-plus figure job, I think a $120 practice exam is justifiable. Of course, the ROI on a free exam is SO much better. . . :)

It's just hard for me to understand that Foundation is that big of a deal. It's the first of many ITIL certifications and is intended simply to introduce vocabulary, process names, and other basic information.

Holding a foundation certification does not make one capable of helping an organization adopt ITIL best practices.

Good luck on it, and watch my LinkedIn profile for more questions that I will add soon.

MS
  • Options
    TurgonTurgon Banned Posts: 6,308 ■■■■■■■■■□
    It's just hard for me to understand that Foundation is that big of a deal. It's the first of many ITIL certifications and is intended simply to introduce vocabulary, process names, and other basic information.

Holding a foundation certification does not make one capable of helping an organization adopt ITIL best practices.

Good luck on it, and watch my LinkedIn profile for more questions that I will add soon.

MS

I have noticed this as well, more companies looking for ITIL foundations completion in candidates. I think it could be a useful differentiator if two candidates are equally matched technically and in terms of experience. I can only imagine these companies have already moved to ITIL and would like to save themselves training costs in a new hire. Having ITIL ticks two boxes for a candidate; one they are already onboard so to speak and two it doesn't cost to train.