Options

GIAC provides more ways to recertify

veritas_libertasveritas_libertas Member Posts: 5,746 ■■■■■■■■■■
Ran into this while I was looking over the (GIAC Assessing Wireless Area Networks) GWAN certification.

GIAC Certification Renewal

Anyone have any thoughts on the GWAN cert?

Comments

• Options
    JDMurrayJDMurray Admin Posts: 13,028 Admin
  • Options
    JDMurray wrote: »
    Wrong link.

I was referring to the content within it. It talks about how starting this month they more options available for re-certification.
    On March 1st, 2010, GIAC will begin to offer expanded certification maintenance options. Besides the existing method of retaking the standard certification exam, we will offer two main additional options. One alternative is for you to submit a published technical research paper, such as a GIAC Gold Paper. Another alternative is to take additional information assurance training courses, such as SANS training courses. There are also supplemental options described below that can be combined with any of the main options to help you reach the required 36 CMUs.

Is my link not working for you icon_confused.gif:
  • Options
    JDMurrayJDMurray Admin Posts: 13,028 Admin
    The link works for me, but from your comments I was expecting to see something on the page about the GWAN cert.

The GIAC recertification and continuting education rules are now totally controlled by the ISO/IEC 17024 standard. If an organization wants its certification(s) to be usable by the USG workforce then it must meet ISO/IEC 17024. This is why some certs are switching from life-time to periodic renewal and adding a continuing education program to maintain certification.
  • Options
    JDMurray wrote: »
    The link works for me, but from your comments I was expecting to see something on the page about the GWAN cert.

The GIAC recertification and continuting education rules are now totally controlled by the ISO/IEC 17024 standard. If an organization wants its certification(s) to be usable by the USG workforce then it must meet ISO/IEC 17024. This is why some certs are switching from life-time to periodic renewal and adding a continuing education program to maintain certification.

Oh I don't disagree or anything JD, I was just noting the newer ways to recertify. As I understood it from watching Dynamik, and Paul, you use to have to re-certify every 3 or 4 years. I really like the idea of being able to write a research paper, or prove studies involved in INFOSEC as another option.

Sorry my last comment about the Wireless cert through people off. If anyone does know about that certification I would be interested though... icon_wink.gif
  • Options
    twodogs62twodogs62 Member Posts: 393 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Thanks for posting, I had not heard about the GIAC recert changes, which I think are a positive change.
  • Options
    dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
    This news made my day. I've been hoping they'd implement something like this. Recertifying numerous GIAC certs individually would have been a major pain; I'm glad I don't have to deal with that.
  • Options
    Paul BozPaul Boz Member Posts: 2,620 ■■■■■■■■□□
    My only potential problem is that if you have 4-5 SANS serts, that's a hell of a lot of upkeep and money. If you do the gold paper route you're looking at $800 ($400 upkeep fee and the paper fee). I'm just going to have to do this on CPE credits.

[edit]
    Damnit, the gold paper that I'm going to write for the GSE will be submitted before the two-year mark so I don't think it'll even count for renewing one of the certs...
    CCNP | CCIP | CCDP | CCNA, CCDA
    CCNA Security | GSEC |GCFW | GCIH | GCIA
    pbosworth@gmail.com
    http://twitter.com/paul_bosworth
    Blog: http://www.infosiege.net/
  • Options
    dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Paul Boz wrote: »
    My only potential problem is that if you have 4-5 SANS serts, that's a hell of a lot of upkeep and money.

I've just accepted the fact that a significant portion of my training budget is going to shift to the upkeep of higher-level certifications. We'll be spending something similar with the (ISC)2 and ISACA certs; they just charge smaller annual amounts.

Honestly, I'm not even sure what I'm going to pursue certification-wise 18 months from now. I'll probably just delve further into topics that I find interesting and not pursue any specific program or certification.