ITIL V3 Service operation - Test questions

abb16ottabb16ott Member Posts: 8 ■□□□□□□□□□
I was wondering if somebody could point me in the right direction for some test questions for the Operation Service Level exam. I took the Foundation some 18 months ago now I've got to go on a course in two weeks followed by the dreaded exam icon_sad.gif

I have searched the net and found very little.

Any help / pointer appreciated.

Also here in the UK at the centre I will take my exam you have to wait 3 - 4 weeks - how bad is that.

Thanks

Charlie

Comments

  • eMeSeMeS Member Posts: 1,875
    It's very unlikely that you'll find any legitimate practice exams out there other than the standard ones offered by your training provider.

    Good luck on the exam,

    MS
  • abb16ottabb16ott Member Posts: 8 ■□□□□□□□□□
    eMeS wrote: »
    It's very unlikely that you'll find any legitimate practice exams out there other than the standard ones offered by your training provider.

    Good luck on the exam,

    MS


    Ok Many Thanks,

    Just wanted to get an idea of what to expect icon_sad.gif

    Fingers crossed any way :)

    Cheers
  • eMeSeMeS Member Posts: 1,875
    Just curious, if you could find a set of exam questions that would help you prepare for this exam, how much would you be willing to pay?

    I ask because I have considered writing practice exams for all 9 of the ITIL Intermediate exams. I'm hesitant because I'm not sure what the market will bear, or if I would ever recoup the development expense.

    MS
  • abb16ottabb16ott Member Posts: 8 ■□□□□□□□□□
    eMeS wrote: »
    Just curious, if you could find a set of exam questions that would help you prepare for this exam, how much would you be willing to pay?

    I ask because I have considered writing practice exams for all 9 of the ITIL Intermediate exams. I'm hesitant because I'm not sure what the market will bear, or if I would ever recoup the development expense.

    MS


    That's a difficult one to answer to be honest, however I have bought a could of books so far but that only amounted to £30 and they were from Amazon.

    I'd think there would deffinately be a market as there is nothing out there icon_sad.gif
  • goforthbmerrygoforthbmerry Member Posts: 244
    eMeS wrote: »
    Just curious, if you could find a set of exam questions that would help you prepare for this exam, how much would you be willing to pay?

    MS

    eMeS, if it were a decent size pool with Transcender like functionality, I would happily pay Transcender tier prices. I think that is around $100.
    I think the market is there and likely going to grow. I am not qualified to write them so I can't do it myself. I do see it as an opportunity for someone. After Foundations, there isn't much out there.
    Going for MCSE:security, Intermediate ITIL, PMP
  • abb16ottabb16ott Member Posts: 8 ■□□□□□□□□□
    eMeS, if it were a decent size pool with Transcender like functionality, I would happily pay Transcender tier prices. I think that is around $100.
    I think the market is there and likely going to grow. I am not qualified to write them so I can't do it myself. I do see it as an opportunity for someone. After Foundations, there isn't much out there.


    What is Transcender tier prices ? that you talk about - is that something in the US

    I also thin $100 is a fair enough price dependant upon the amount of sample questions.
  • eMeSeMeS Member Posts: 1,875
    I've given serious thought to doing this.

    If I did it, I think I would do it via online access only. I also think that I would charge by the exam, and then offer 3 exam packs or something like that...

    MS
  • Mary RoseMary Rose Member Posts: 16 ■□□□□□□□□□

    abb16ott,

    Just wondering if you took the SO exam yet and how you did in it.
  • abb16ottabb16ott Member Posts: 8 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Mary Rose wrote: »
    abb16ott,

    Just wondering if you took the SO exam yet and how you did in it.

    Hi there,

    Yes I took it, the course went well and I scored 36 out of 40 on the mock, I have not had my results yet - another week I guess. I must say though that the questions in the mock or all the tests during the week were nothing loke the actual exam questions / scenarios wheich were I thought as did the rest of the class extremely hard in comparison.

    I have still got the mock questions and could upload them if anyone was interested - if that is allowed?

    Are you set to take the exam?

    Regards,

    Charlie
  • Mary RoseMary Rose Member Posts: 16 ■□□□□□□□□□
    eMes,

    I think it would be an awesome awesome thing if you write practice exams. There are a couple of things to watch out for before you invest your time/effort into developing this product (and you probably already know them anyways):

    1- You must avoid the pitfalls of the already existing practice exams in the market. They're nothing but a rehash of the sample exams distributed by APMG or any training provider. Essentially, each ITIL certificate has only 2 practice exams available for free from APMG and redistributed by training providers. It doesn't matter how much paraphrasing and reshaping one does for these 2 exams; they're still just 2 exams. This is why no one takes seriously companies that try to sell practice tests... because everyone knows it's not much different from the free stuff. So, your practice exams need to be completely original focusing on totally different concepts from those in the 2 free exams.

    2- It would be a great thing if you can establish the credibility of your practice exams with APMG. You've established that your material is original and not a rehash in anyway, but is it valid? Does it really test the user on the subject properly? That is, as a potential consumer of your product, how would I know that your original material is actually valid for testing my understanding of the material? I'm not likely to pay for your product based on your claims alone. I need to know that APMG (or some credible 3rd party authority) acknowledges your material as valid practice tests for the subject I'm going to be tested on by APMG. This is probably very difficult to do, but it would be awesome if it's achieved.

    With that being said, I don't think you should worry about market demand for a simple reason that you already know: There are NO SUCH PRODUCTS (original ITIL practice tests) IN THE MARKET. This means you have ZERO competition. Even if your line of business was something as silly and useless as selling toads and lizards, if you're the ONLY one who's selling toads and lizards, then you WILL make decent money doing it. Any pioneer in ANY line of business makes serious money because of the simple fact that there is no competition and because they developed the product before anyone else in the market. So, don't worry about the market. If Kevin Costner was reading this forum, I think he'd tell you, "build it and they will come"!

    Let me know when you're done with the product. If I didn't get my ITIL Expert by then, I will certainly buy your tests. If you charge for it by the exam, I'd gladly pay up to $75 per exam (depending on the quality/difficulty, the more difficult it is, the more money I'm willing to spend). I think this should give you a decent idea of what to charge.

    Good luck!
  • Mary RoseMary Rose Member Posts: 16 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Charlie,

    Thanks for the offer, but I already took my SO exam 2 months ago and wrote a review of it 6 weeks ago. You can read my review here.

    Indeed, the practice exams are nowhere near as difficult as the actual exam. Read my review to see the disappointment I found myself in when I took the actual test (despite passing it with a decent grade). The practice exams really don't prepare you for the surprise you're about to see on the actual test.

    I was on vacation for a month, so I didn't study for the past month or so. My next exam will be ST. If you're gonna do ST, let me know; maybe we can cooperate and exchange study material.

    Regards.
  • eMeSeMeS Member Posts: 1,875
    abb16ott wrote: »
    I have still got the mock questions and could upload them if anyone was interested - if that is allowed?

    These are protected by copyright so it wouldn't be a good idea to post them here.

    MS
  • eMeSeMeS Member Posts: 1,875
    Mary Rose wrote: »
    1- You must avoid the pitfalls of the already existing practice exams in the market. They're nothing but a rehash of the sample exams distributed by APMG or any training provider. Essentially, each ITIL certificate has only 2 practice exams available for free from APMG and redistributed by training providers. It doesn't matter how much paraphrasing and reshaping one does for these 2 exams; they're still just 2 exams. This is why no one takes seriously companies that try to sell practice tests... because everyone knows it's not much different from the free stuff. So, your practice exams need to be completely original focusing on totally different concepts from those in the 2 free exams.

    Agreed...I wouldn't do this if I didn't think I could offer something significantly different than what's currently available for free.
    Mary Rose wrote: »
    2- It would be a great thing if you can establish the credibility of your practice exams with APMG. You've established that your material is original and not a rehash in anyway, but is it valid? Does it really test the user on the subject properly? That is, as a potential consumer of your product, how would I know that your original material is actually valid for testing my understanding of the material? I'm not likely to pay for your product based on your claims alone. I need to know that APMG (or some credible 3rd party authority) acknowledges your material as valid practice tests for the subject I'm going to be tested on by APMG. This is probably very difficult to do, but it would be awesome if it's achieved.

    You hit the nail on the head with the "difficult to do part". APMG is overly bureaucratic. Vetting these practice exams through them would add value, but it would take way too long and would add too much to the cost.
    Mary Rose wrote: »
    With that being said, I don't think you should worry about market demand for a simple reason that you already know: There are NO SUCH PRODUCTS (original ITIL practice tests) IN THE MARKET. This means you have ZERO competition. Even if your line of business was something as silly and useless as selling toads and lizards, if you're the ONLY one who's selling toads and lizards, then you WILL make decent money doing it. Any pioneer in ANY line of business makes serious money because of the simple fact that there is no competition and because they developed the product before anyone else in the market. So, don't worry about the market. If Kevin Costner was reading this forum, I think he'd tell you, "build it and they will come"!

    I disagree here. There is already limited demand for the intermediate classes, and so the pool of people that would be interested in these is even more limited. The pool becomes even smaller when I factor in how many might pay for one of these exams at a price that is profitable. I estimate that it would take about 1 week to write one of these exams. Each one would likely be good for 100 uses before it gets pirated and put out in the free-sphere. So at $75 per exam, the cost to create is roughly equal to the cost to produce.

    This is difficult for me to see as profitable, when I could spend that same week delivering one of these classes (in only 3 days) and make much more than I would make on the same week spent to build a practice exam.

    The numbers don't quite work out, and I think it would take a while to sell 100 of these.

    The picture becomes less attractive when I consider that to be useful, I would need multiple exams per class. If I had 3 exams per intermediate class times 9 intermediate classes that would take ~27 weeks in total. The numbers just don't work out well when looking at the full scope of this.

    Honestly though, I haven't decided whether or not I will do it. I might.

    MS
  • goforthbmerrygoforthbmerry Member Posts: 244
    eMeS - I still hope you do.
    Going for MCSE:security, Intermediate ITIL, PMP
  • jiovalonjiovalon Member Posts: 16 ■□□□□□□□□□
    abb16ott wrote: »
    Hi there,

    Yes I took it, the course went well and I scored 36 out of 40 on the mock, I have not had my results yet - another week I guess. I must say though that the questions in the mock or all the tests during the week were nothing loke the actual exam questions / scenarios wheich were I thought as did the rest of the class extremely hard in comparison.

    I have still got the mock questions and could upload them if anyone was interested - if that is allowed?

    Are you set to take the exam?

    Regards,




    Charlie

    Congratulations on the achievement, you can tell me what book or study that was how their study to obtain the certification.

    Chears
    __________________________________________
    |ITIL® V3 Foundations|ISO/IEC 20000 Foundations IT Service Management|Foundations of Information Security ISO/IEC 27002|CCNA|
  • pearlgdeakpearlgdeak Member Posts: 12 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Dear all,

    I am studying for the Service Transition exam. Can anyone help me with regards to the exams? I am interested in mock exams even to buy it if that is available.

    Many thanks.

    Pearl
    eMeS wrote: »
    It's very unlikely that you'll find any legitimate practice exams out there other than the standard ones offered by your training provider.

    Good luck on the exam,

    MS
  • pearlgdeakpearlgdeak Member Posts: 12 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Hi there,

    Have you got the mock exam question for Service Transition. If yes would you mind sharing it with me.

    Thanks you.

    With Regards

    Pearl
  • pearlgdeakpearlgdeak Member Posts: 12 ■□□□□□□□□□
    hi Charlie,
    i would be interested in the Service Operation mock exam papers.

    Would you mind sharing it with me. I am doing Service Transition right now and also would be interested in transitions papers as well.

    With regards and Thanks.

    Pearl
  • ogidzogidz Registered Users Posts: 3 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Hello abb16ott ... I just got the ITIL Service Operation book and it's over 300 pages and i have to write the exam in 4 day's time. Please can you help with the mock exam questions. I need to get a feel of what to expect in the exams.
  • pearlgdeakpearlgdeak Member Posts: 12 ■□□□□□□□□□
    hi all,

    I have passed the Service Transition exam on the 26th of June.

    Regards
  • Claire AgutterClaire Agutter Member Posts: 772 ■■■■■■■□□□
    Congratulations! That's great news icon_smile.gif
  • ogidzogidz Registered Users Posts: 3 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I finally took the SO exam and scored 31/40. I didn't have time to go over the questions and answers a second time after the exams started; the time was just enough. From my score I know I got a zero in one of the 8 questions. My preparations for the exams wasn't good at all. I went for the 3 day (actually 2 & 1/2 days) training and that was it. I come from a Service Operation environment and although I practice Service Operations daily it might not exactly be the ITIL way as some of us would have noticed in our different jobs. To pass the exams I would advise you read the ITIL Service Operation book, go for the training, practice a lot of mock exams then go for the exams. Remember Service Operation isn't common sense, make sure you apply it according to the ITIL way. Good luck
  • pranav.barvepranav.barve Registered Users Posts: 1 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Is there any way I can get sample test papers for ITIL Intermediate Service Operation papers for practice??
  • Claire AgutterClaire Agutter Member Posts: 772 ■■■■■■■□□□
    Hi Pranav

    You should be given the test papers by your training organisation - they aren't available from anywhere else. SO only has 2 sample papers right now, so you could also ask for the OSA capability sample exams as they syllabi have quite a lot of overlap. It's a good way to practice your technique.

    Claire
  • cha_1015cha_1015 Registered Users Posts: 1 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Hello, I am going to take the OS test. Can someone provide a summary of what they experienced when taking the test? Any surprises? What areas were mostly tested on?

    Thanks
  • debbimorgdebbimorg Registered Users Posts: 3 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Hello Everyone

    I am getting ready to take my ITILv3 Service Operation exam on this Friday 2/14. Can you share any pointers when taking the exam to get to the best answers.

    Thanks,
  • debbimorgdebbimorg Registered Users Posts: 3 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Hello All,

    I am taking the ITIL v3 Service Operation exam on this coming Friday 2/14. Can someone provide me with some pointers on passing the exam.

    Thanks,
  • Claire AgutterClaire Agutter Member Posts: 772 ■■■■■■■□□□
    Hi debbimorg

    Here are some top tips based on our experience of the ITIL intermediate exams:

    Don't get waylaid by a brilliant ITIL answer to the wrong question i.e. the answer has all the right words but addresses nothing in the scenario....a perfect change implementation when they wanted problem!

    Business focused answers with business agreement are right 95%+ of the time...

    Policy ALWAYS comes before process

    "Vision, baseline, targets, getting there, we've arrived, staying there" - service improvement should follow this sequence

    Assume nothing...so many answers make broad brush assumptions without ever investigating or assessing. If the scenario doesn't say it DON'T assume it

    Implementing a process that isn't covered in the course is seldom the right answer

    Good luck!

    Claire
  • debbimorgdebbimorg Registered Users Posts: 3 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Hello Claire,

    Thank you for that great feedback, I will let you know how I did.

    Regards,
Sign In or Register to comment.