Options

confused about "proof of training" for v3 foundations

ciscog33kciscog33k Member Posts: 82 ■■□□□□□□□□
I was thinking of knocking out the ITIL v3 foundations as resume filler but after a quick look at the ITIL site I came under the impression you needed to purchase training (based on the overview pdf on the itil site). That said, I've also been reading through some threads and it seems like people are self-studying? Even online courses are expensive for what they are. There's not a chance in hell i'm gonna pay $500 for an online course for something I should be able to read about in a $50 book...

Can I purchase a book, self-study, and then write the exam or not?

Thanks.

Comments

• Options
    goforthbmerrygoforthbmerry Member Posts: 244
    Short answer: For the Foundation level exam - yes. For intermediate exams - yes but conditions apply.

Longer answer: For Foundations there is no reason to take expensive classes unless some one else is paying for them. You can do the Foundations exam with self study and signing up at Prometric or another testing center. There is no education requirement for the Foundations level exam.

The Intermediate exams require that you can prove that you have passed the Foundations exam. Many people will recommend the even more expensive classes for those exams though they are not "technically" necessary. You must take training from an approved source AND provide proof that you have passed Foundations. Under those conditions you can take the test. Most people take the intermediate courses with an instructor and take the exam immediately after.

I believe that this information is correct but others may correct me.
    Going for MCSE:security, Intermediate ITIL, PMP
  • Options
    ITILTRAINITILTRAIN Banned Posts: 21 ■□□□□□□□□□
    You have three options

1. Read what you can for FREE and go take the exam
    2. Purchase a good exam prep tool (roughly $59) that will help you navigate the exam along with telling you were you need to beef up.
    3. Purchase an online class. There are many supplies in this space (prices run from $99 to $500 (with the best progams falling into the $275 range). If you have an iPhone or iTouch there are apps available for $9.99

Hope this helps
    ciscog33k wrote: »
    I was thinking of knocking out the ITIL v3 foundations as resume filler but after a quick look at the ITIL site I came under the impression you needed to purchase training (based on the overview pdf on the itil site). That said, I've also been reading through some threads and it seems like people are self-studying? Even online courses are expensive for what they are. There's not a chance in hell i'm gonna pay $500 for an online course for something I should be able to read about in a $50 book...

Can I purchase a book, self-study, and then write the exam or not?

Thanks.
  • Options
    ciscog33kciscog33k Member Posts: 82 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Ok, thanks guys.