Options

70-640 exam question

daver1015daver1015 Member Posts: 17 ■□□□□□□□□□
I signed up for training at a local IT school. I want to take the 70-640 exam. They are telling me that the training classes that go along with that course is the 6419 configuring, managing and maintaining win server 2008.
6424 configuring and troubleshooting win server 2008 active directory domain services and 6426 config and troubleshoot identity and access solutions with windows server 2008 active directory..

Does that sound right? According to Microsofts website that is the path they are laying out. I though that if you studied the 70-640 book and other related material you could take the 70-640 test.

And also that taking the classes stated above only prepaired me for the one test.

I just want to make sure I am going in the right direction.

Thanks,
Dave

Comments

• Options
    PlantwizPlantwiz Mod Posts: 5,057 Mod
    The class you signed up for, does it cover MCITP? Perhaps being that it is a 'course' you are getting prep for the certification of MCITP?? Rather then one single exam.

Yes, a candidate can ONLY prep for one exam at a time by utilizing the various training materials on the market...and then will only be (in theory) knowledgeable in that one discipline. With each additional exam one prepares for, they then gain the understanding for the additional components that are required to be MCITP certified.

You'll need
    70-640
    70-642
    70-646

Either self-study or course study is fine...just depends on your study methods and how much money you have to invest in becoming certified. If you are motivated, I don't see a reason why you need the classes, simply invest in a couple books and utilize a lab or your experience to prepare. If you have limited access to hardware and need to ask questions where someone else answers (rather then look it up on your own) then take a course.
    Plantwiz
    _____
    "Grammar and spelling aren't everything, but this is a forum, not a chat room. You have plenty of time to spell out the word "you", and look just a little bit smarter." by Phaideaux

***I'll add you can Capitalize the word 'I' to show a little respect for yourself too.

'i' before 'e' except after 'c'.... weird?
  • Options
    daver1015daver1015 Member Posts: 17 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Plantwiz wrote: »
    The class you signed up for, does it cover MCITP? Perhaps being that it is a 'course' you are getting prep for the certification of MCITP?? Rather then one single exam.

Yes, a candidate can ONLY prep for one exam at a time by utilizing the various training materials on the market...and then will only be (in theory) knowledgeable in that one discipline. With each additional exam one prepares for, they then gain the understanding for the additional components that are required to be MCITP certified.

You'll need
    70-640
    70-642
    70-646

Either self-study or course study is fine...just depends on your study methods and how much money you have to invest in becoming certified. If you are motivated, I don't see a reason why you need the classes, simply invest in a couple books and utilize a lab or your experience to prepare. If you have limited access to hardware and need to ask questions where someone else answers (rather then look it up on your own) then take a course.

Ok thanks.. I live in Michigan and they offer something called "no worker left behind".. So for me that is where the funding is coming from.

Thanks for the info..
  • Options
    MentholMooseMentholMoose Member Posts: 1,525 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Passing exam 70-640 will give you a MCTS certification. To get a MCITP, you need additional exams. For example, the MCITP: SA requires exams 70-640, 642, and 646. The courses you listed look appropriate for 70-640, and will be somewhat helpful for other exams.

The MS courses are not required to take MS exams. You can buy a book and self-study, then take the exam when you're ready, or if you have relevant work experience you can just take the exam outright.

If your state offers a significant discount for these courses, I'd say go for it! I'd love to take those courses for cheap!! :D
    MentholMoose
    MCSA 2003, LFCS, LFCE (expired), VCP6-DCV