What's Next?

historian1974historian1974 Member Posts: 59 ■■■□□□□□□□
I knocked out my Foundations exam at the end of June. My ultimate goal is to achieve Expert, but obviously must earn the credits to get there.

I understand that I can somewhat mix and match between the Lifecycle and Capability modules, but is there a recommended module to begin with?

Any advice is appreciated. Thanks!

Comments

• Claire AgutterClaire Agutter Member Posts: 772 ■■■■■■■□□□
    Hi historian

The answer is...it depends!

You can follow a route that maps to the service lifecycle if you want, so that you're doing the courses in "order"

or... you can start with an area that's familiar to you, so that you get chance to get used to the courses and exam style while you're on familiar ground - so if you work in Ops, start with SO or OSA.

The general rule of thumb is that Lifecycle courses are aimed at Managers, and Capability courses are aimed at 'doers', but you can read the syllabi here http://www.itil-officialsite.com/Qualifications/ITILV3QualificationLevels/ITILV3IntermediateLevel.asp to make a more informed choice and then mix and match as you please. The credit profiler on the same site really helps.

Good luck and enjoy your studies, getting that Expert qualification is great but it's even better if you feel you've learnt something useful along the way :)

Claire
  • historian1974historian1974 Member Posts: 59 ■■■□□□□□□□
    The general rule of thumb is that Lifecycle courses are aimed at Managers, and Capability courses are aimed at 'doers'
    Claire

Thank you. This is exaclty what I needed to hear. Right now I'm in a position where I'm still somewhat of a "doer", but steadily working more and more into the manager realm. I'll look at the credit profiler you suggested.
  • odysseyeliteodysseyelite Member Posts: 504 ■■■■■□□□□□
    Hi historian,

What materials did you study? I am in process of preparing for this exam.
    Currently reading: Start with Why: How Great Leaders Inspire Everyone to Take Action
  • historian1974historian1974 Member Posts: 59 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Hi historian,

What materials did you study? I am in process of preparing for this exam.

I took a three day class through Global Knowledge. I used the class instructions and course materials as my only sources of study. I work at a company in which ITIL is already implemented, so I had a basic understanding of some concepts going into the class.