Options

Passed ITIL V3 Foundations

I took the ITIL V3 Foundations exam Wednesday (paper variety) and received my results today with a passing score of 36/40 (90%). Overall I found this exam very easy, and it took very little time to take this exam. Almost all the questions were very straight forward - you either know them or you do not. And the ones that were a little tricky could easily be narrowed down to 2 answers.

I had a Skillsoft virtual class offered by my company which was pretty good, and I also used the Scordo book with 600+ test questions for ITIL Foundations along with the Official ITIL Foundation book. All of these along with the info on the taruu website should make anyone well prepared for this exam.

Comments

• Options
    N2ITN2IT Inactive Imported Users Posts: 7,483 ■■■■■■■■■■
    I took the ITIL V3 Foundations exam Wednesday (paper variety) and received my results today with a passing score of 36/40 (90%). Overall I found this exam very easy, and it took very little time to take this exam. Almost all the questions were very straight forward - you either know them or you do not. And the ones that were a little tricky could easily be narrowed down to 2 answers.

I had a Skillsoft virtual class offered by my company which was pretty good, and I also used the Scordo book with 600+ test questions for ITIL Foundations along with the Official ITIL Foundation book. All of these along with the info on the taruu website should make anyone well prepared for this exam.

How was it compared to the PMP? I have 2 friends of mine who are PMP certified and they said that test was cake. Infact our resident ITIL expert on this forum eMeS said the PMP was the easiest exam he had ever taken or close to it. (I don't want put words in his mouth), but I am paraphrasing of course.

Thoughts?

BTW Congratz!
  • Options
    eMeSeMeS Member Posts: 1,875 ■■■■■■■■■□

Congrats on the pass!

If anything I would say that your preparation for this was above and beyond what most people typically do for this exam, which likely contributed to your positive experience.

I agree with you though, this is not a hard test if one is adequately prepared. I do occasionally see people finish the paper test right around the 20 minute mark, however, it is very rare.

MS
  • Options
    eMeSeMeS Member Posts: 1,875 ■■■■■■■■■□
    N2IT wrote: »
    Infact our resident ITIL expert on this forum eMeS said the PMP was the easiest exam he had ever taken or close to it. (I don't want put words in his mouth), but I am paraphrasing of course.

The most difficult thing about the PMP was the number of questions that had to be answered. It was literally an exercise in selecting the correct answer over and over.

I seriously over-prepared for that exam. Wish I had that time back....

MS
  • Options
    triotrio Member Posts: 42 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Hey congrats!
    I took ITILv3 a year ago,and i gotta say it was really interesting.
    I am having PMP on my list,but still need more time to gain more experience to fulfill the requirements!
  • Options
    pakgeekpakgeek Member Posts: 53 ■■□□□□□□□□
    eMeS wrote: »
    The most difficult thing about the PMP was the number of questions that had to be answered. It was literally an exercise in selecting the correct answer over and over.

I seriously over-prepared for that exam. Wish I had that time back....

MS

I hope to take the PMP yearly next year so can you recommend any books, i guess there is some training requirement for the test
  • Options
    pakgeekpakgeek Member Posts: 53 ■■□□□□□□□□

congrats on the pass, its a very good score.
  • Options
    Todd BurrellTodd Burrell Member Posts: 280
    I wanted to respond to the question about this test compared to the PMP since I have both of these certifications. I would probably call the ITIL Foundations exam PMP "light". The tests are very similar in their actual content - the major difference was the exhausting nature of the PMP with the 200 questions. I would probably call ITIL Foundations basically PMP for IT, as it is very specific for IT services and service providers.

I actually found the PMP exam fairly easy, and finished it in around 1:45. I studied very hard for the PMP for about 3 months, and I found it fairly easy due to the lengthy preparation I undertook.

For the PMP I used the PMBOK (duh) and the Rita Mulcahy book on the PMP. These along with NUMEROUS practice tests made the actual test fairly easy. I would say that I saw around 3000 practice questions for the PMP, so I was probably a little over prepared - but I hated to waste $550 on failing the PMP exam.

Here's a link I used to get a large number of practice questions for around $50 - this was VERY useful:
    [FONT=Calibri,Arial Rounded MT Bold][FONT=Calibri,Arial Rounded MT Bold]
  • Options
    Mike-MikeMike-Mike Member Posts: 1,860
    I am taking this test on 9/22, the proctor here said the time averages around 35 min
    Currently Working On

CWTS, then WireShark
  • Options
    N2ITN2IT Inactive Imported Users Posts: 7,483 ■■■■■■■■■■
    I wanted to respond to the question about this test compared to the PMP since I have both of these certifications. I would probably call the ITIL Foundations exam PMP "light". The tests are very similar in their actual content - the major difference was the exhausting nature of the PMP with the 200 questions. I would probably call ITIL Foundations basically PMP for IT, as it is very specific for IT services and service providers.

I actually found the PMP exam fairly easy, and finished it in around 1:45. I studied very hard for the PMP for about 3 months, and I found it fairly easy due to the lengthy preparation I undertook.

For the PMP I used the PMBOK (duh) and the Rita Mulcahy book on the PMP. These along with NUMEROUS practice tests made the actual test fairly easy. I would say that I saw around 3000 practice questions for the PMP, so I was probably a little over prepared - but I hated to waste $550 on failing the PMP exam.

Here's a link I used to get a large number of practice questions for around $50 - this was VERY useful:

Hey Todd appreciate the great reply!