Options

CBT Nuggets ITIL v#3 Foundations.

Does anybody recommends this?

I was asked by a client I am doing some jobs to get the ITIL Foundations certification. I took a graduate course in Technology Management that was very similar but deeper and broader than what I've noticed so far in the couple books I've seen in preparation for this certification.

The owner/manager of this company is interested in getting training and the ITIL certs and asked me about sources to prepare. I always think about CBT Nuggets and I saw they have videos for the Foundations certification. Are they any good?

If you have to take one book and one CBT training, which ones would you pick? The guys who will be preparing for this certification have a very extensive management experience and none IT experience, but they somehow have managed to market and sell (very well) IT security services and have built a very good IT team to provide the services... I think ITIL would be great for them and for the company.
Training/Studying for....CCNP (BSCI) and some MS.

Comments

• Options
    Claire AgutterClaire Agutter Member Posts: 772 ■■■■■■■□□□
    Hi Alex

There are plenty of resources out there to help prepare for your Foundation exam.

The IT Skeptic blog has some good information here: ITIL Version 3 certification: eight sources of free ITIL V3 Foundation practice exams, and some ITIL Version 2 sources too! | The IT Skeptic

In terms of a books, I would recommend Passing Your ITIL Foundation exam (available from various sources including Passing your ITIL foundation exam: the official study aid: The Official ITIL Foundation Study Aid: Amazon.co.uk: Christian F. Nissen, OGC - Office of Government Commerce: Books) - as the title suggests it's geared towards the syllabus and doesn't contain much unnecessary information.

There are plenty of e-learning providers who all offer slightly different approaches, some of the main players include:

ITIL Training Zone (disclosure - my company)
    ITSM Solutions
    Mountainview

If you approach a training provider for an evaluation you can judge whether their material is suitable. Always check your training provider is certified by one of the official examination institutes (listed here http://www.itil-officialsite.com/ExaminationInstitutes/ExamInstitutes.asp)

Hope that helps

Claire
  • Options
    AlexMRAlexMR Member Posts: 275
    Thank you very much for the valuable information, Claire!!

Do you have a blog?
    Training/Studying for....CCNP (BSCI) and some MS.
  • Options
    Claire AgutterClaire Agutter Member Posts: 772 ■■■■■■■□□□
    Not yet! It's been on my 'things to do' list for a while now icon_rolleyes.gif
  • Options
    NinjaBoyNinjaBoy Member Posts: 968
    ...In terms of a books, I would recommend Passing Your ITIL Foundation exam (available from various sources including Passing your ITIL foundation exam: the official study aid: The Official ITIL Foundation Study Aid: Amazon.co.uk: Christian F. Nissen, OGC - Office of Government Commerce: Books) - as the title suggests it's geared towards the syllabus and doesn't contain much unnecessary information....

I passed the ITIL v3 Foundation with the above book and the CBTNuggets for ITIL v3 Fdn, self-studied for a week. While I found ITIL boring, CBTNuggets did liven it up (as much as they could).

However you may want to consider the revised 2009 version book, as it's current and cheaper (on Amazon).

-ken
  • Options
    pakgeekpakgeek Member Posts: 53 ■■□□□□□□□□
    AlexMR wrote: »
    Does anybody recommends this?

I was asked by a client I am doing some jobs to get the ITIL Foundations certification. I took a graduate course in Technology Management that was very similar but deeper and broader than what I've noticed so far in the couple books I've seen in preparation for this certification.

The owner/manager of this company is interested in getting training and the ITIL certs and asked me about sources to prepare. I always think about CBT Nuggets and I saw they have videos for the Foundations certification. Are they any good?

If you have to take one book and one CBT training, which ones would you pick? The guys who will be preparing for this certification have a very extensive management experience and none IT experience, but they somehow have managed to market and sell (very well) IT security services and have built a very good IT team to provide the services... I think ITIL would be great for them and for the company.

I did use the CBT Nuggests for the ITIL prep and found it to be helpful. However, this was not the only material I used.
  • Options
    TheeeGoochTheeeGooch Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 6 ■□□□□□□□□□
    NinjaBoy wrote: »
    I passed the ITIL v3 Foundation with the above book and the CBTNuggets for ITIL v3 Fdn, self-studied for a week. While I found ITIL boring, CBTNuggets did liven it up (as much as they could).

However you may want to consider the revised 2009 version book, as it's current and cheaper (on Amazon).

-ken
    I see book "Passing Your ITIL Foundation Exam " is highly recommended here, but on Amazon.com almost no one recommended it (7 people on the US site ) versus other ITIL books that have hundreds of recommendations. This make me doubt the forementioned book is that good.

Anyone care to comment?