Cisco Core Switches

thenjdukethenjduke Member Posts: 894 ■■■■□□□□□□
Okay I am in the process of designing the switch network. I am looking to replace Dell Switches that are pretty much piggy back on each other. I am going for the Cisco Switch design of Core - Dist - Access. I have to start from the top and work my way down. I am looking for Cisco Core switch that in around 3k budget. Anyone have any suggestions?
CCNA, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCDST, MCITP Enterprise Administrator, Working towards Networking BS. CCNP is Next.

Comments

• NightShade03NightShade03 Member Posts: 1,383 ■■■■■■■□□□
    It depends. Do you need the core switch to have layer 3 capabilities? What kind of port density are you looking for? Do you need fiber connections?
  • thenjdukethenjduke Member Posts: 894 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I do not need Fiber and it does need layer 3 capabilities. I need at least 24 or 48 ports on both switches.
    CCNA, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCDST, MCITP Enterprise Administrator, Working towards Networking BS. CCNP is Next.
  • keenonkeenon Member Posts: 1,922 ■■■■□□□□□□
    thenjduke wrote: »
    Okay I am in the process of designing the switch network. I am looking to replace Dell Switches that are pretty much piggy back on each other. I am going for the Cisco Switch design of Core - Dist - Access. I have to start from the top and work my way down. I am looking for Cisco Core switch that in around 3k budget. Anyone have any suggestions?

did you say 3k for a switch to run as a core? are they sending you to the used market?
    Become the stainless steel sharp knife in a drawer full of rusty spoons
  • pitviperpitviper Member Posts: 1,376 ■■■■■■■□□□
    Yeah, 3k really isn't much to work with. Our access layer voice switches are over 3k themselves. For that price the best you can do is something like a single 3560/3750. And a single GigE switch alone will put you over 3k.
    CCNP:Collaboration, CCNP:R&S, CCNA:S, CCNA:V, CCNA, CCENT
  • mikearamamikearama Member Posts: 749
    keenon wrote: »
    did you say 3k for a switch to run as a core? are they sending you to the used market?

Used Cisco Equipment | Buy; Sell Refurbished; Used Cisco Switches and Routers |
    There are only 10 kinds of people... those who understand binary, and those that don't.

CCIE Studies: Written passed: Jan 21/12 Lab Prep: Hours reading: 385. Hours labbing: 110

Taking a time-out to add the CCVP. Capitalizing on a current IPT pilot project.
  • chmorinchmorin Member Posts: 1,446 ■■■■■□□□□□
    I agree with pitviper. If you went layer 3 with 10/100 you could probably fall into the price range you want. Anything above that and you are pushing it. You might be able to get two or 4 gig interfaces in it for trunking. I'd look at 3750's.

While they are good switches, they are not really core worthy unless its a pretty small network. Cisco chassis based switches (4500 and 6500) are their core designed switches. And those cost big money.

Edit: Mike, do you have anything to say about them and their company customer service? Or anything in general?
    Currently Pursuing
    WGU (BS in IT Network Administration) - 52%| CCIE:Voice Written - 0% (0/200 Hours)
    mikej412 wrote:
    Cisco Networking isn't just a job, it's a Lifestyle.
  • NightShade03NightShade03 Member Posts: 1,383 ■■■■■■■□□□
    I used 3750's at my last job for our core network. I had a pair of them with 2 GBic for fiber trunking...which def put me over the 3k mark...but maybe used you might be able to pull this off. We also had a small network...maybe 100 network devices at most.
  • Forsaken_GAForsaken_GA Member Posts: 4,024
    I actually wouldn't go Cisco for that spot with that kind of budget. Since this sounds like a smaller network, I'd use 4500's if I could get away with it, that way there's some scalability in the core.

If your only choice is to go fixed configuration switches, I'd look into acquiring a couple Force10 S50's
  • keenonkeenon Member Posts: 1,922 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I would look at HP 5300 series on the core switch if you plan on used. the lifetime warranty enough is reason and the cli isn't too far off from cisco.
    Become the stainless steel sharp knife in a drawer full of rusty spoons
  • mikearamamikearama Member Posts: 749
    chmorin wrote: »
    Mike, do you have anything to say about them and their company customer service? Or anything in general?

They're fine. Service was good. I've used them several times in my last gig to set up remote offices... switches and pixes.

They are not the cheapest around... I wouldn't use them to build a home network.
    There are only 10 kinds of people... those who understand binary, and those that don't.

CCIE Studies: Written passed: Jan 21/12 Lab Prep: Hours reading: 385. Hours labbing: 110

Taking a time-out to add the CCVP. Capitalizing on a current IPT pilot project.
    I've dealt with NHR as a vendor before as well, and they've always been solid. I've never received bad or counterfeit gear from them.
    I am looking at the Cisco 4948. The price is about 7k with smarnet.
    I am looking at the Cisco 4948. The price is about 7k with smarnet.

A bit above your 3k budget =) I wish we could pull that XD
    Currently Pursuing
    WGU (BS in IT Network Administration) - 52%| CCIE:Voice Written - 0% (0/200 Hours)
    mikej412 wrote:
    Yes but that is okay. I got the CEO to approve them. They know the core switch network needs to be done. It is a start to move from Dell Switches to Cisco world here. I need all the practice I can get for my CCNP Studies :)
    Yes but that is okay. I got the CEO to approve them. They know the core switch network needs to be done. It is a start to move from Dell Switches to Cisco world here. I need all the practice I can get for my CCNP Studies :)

Well most people around here will agree with yah, it is a good investment for sure =)
    Currently Pursuing
    mikej412 wrote:
  • DPGDPG Member Posts: 780 ■■■■■□□□□□
    Cisco 6509 with redundant SUP2's, redundant power, and a few gigabit fiber line cards is easily under $3k.
  • deth1kdeth1k Member Posts: 312
    DPG wrote: »
    Cisco 6509 with redundant SUP2's, redundant power, and a few gigabit fiber line cards is easily under $3k.
    yea you wish :P
  • bmaurobmauro Member Posts: 307
    Well if we are budgeting in "fantasy land :D" you might as well look at what we have in our core.....easily under your 3K budget :P

Cisco Nexus 7000 10-Slot Switch - Cisco Systems - loaded up with 10G line cards...

And you don't need redundant SUPs when you have two of em.....

Why buy one when you can get two for twice the price???
  • tierstentiersten Member Posts: 4,505
    I assume you're joking :P If not then I want to talk to your Cisco account manager for a similar discount.
    I do not need Fiber and it does need layer 3 capabilities. I need at least 24 or 48 ports on both switches.
    How big is this network you're designing?

3K for a core switch with 48 ports is a tad ambitious. You going to be using GigE or 10G? 10G would completely blow your budget on a single line card so I guess not...
  • CCNAwannabeCCNAwannabe Member Posts: 44 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I'm a Cisco Select Certified Partner. If you need prices on NEW equipment then let me know. I can usually come close to the refurb guys, because it's a small business and I have no overhead. You can check my site out at RedBug Computer Services LLC (OK so I marketed a little bit) =)

Robbie
    tiersten wrote: »
    I assume you're joking :P If not then I want to talk to your Cisco account manager for a similar discount.

Uhhhh....

Cisco 6509 chassis - $150

2x Cisco 1800W PSU $150

2x Cisco SUP2 - $150

Your choice of line cards from $75 - $150 each.
    Uhhhh....

Cisco 6509 chassis - $150

2x Cisco 1800W PSU $150

2x Cisco SUP2 - $150

Your choice of line cards from $75 - $150 each.
    Ah okay. I didn't notice the Sup II part in your list earlier. You're quoting second hand prices for ancient gear. A Sup II is CatOS as well. You'd want a Sup II+MSFC or newer if you want L3 support and you'll need to pay to relicense IOS. Considering the price of your line cards, I assume they're all classic bus cards as well and won't do CEF or dCEF :P

If somebody proposed making a brand new network core with a 6509 (non E) and two ancient Sup IIs then I'd be worried.
    If somebody proposed making a brand new network core with a 6509 (non E) and two ancient Sup IIs then I'd be worried.

Agreed, not really core worthy.
    Currently Pursuing
    mikej412 wrote:
    chmorin wrote: »
    Agreed, not really core worthy.

Why not? They are perfectly capable and there are plenty still in production today.
    Why not? They are perfectly capable and there are plenty still in production today.
    Perfectly capable of what? What hardware exactly are you listing anyway above? You've just got some random prices without saying what model it is.

Do the Sups have a MSFC? How about a SFM? Are the line cards classic bus or fabric? Port ASIC contention in the line cards? How much memory is in the Sups? Do you trust your network core to a bunch of secondhand gear? Did you factor in relicensing IOS? Can you even get a new SMARTnet contract on that old gear?

As for why I wouldn't use an old 6509 + 2xSups + random line cards is that there isn't much ability for expansion in the future. We've not even sure what thenjduke's requirements are.
  • networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    Perfectly capable of what? What hardware exactly are you listing anyway above? You've just got some random prices without saying what model it is.

Do the Sups have a MSFC? How about a SFM? Are the line cards classic bus or fabric? Port ASIC contention in the line cards? How much memory is in the Sups? Do you trust your network core to a bunch of secondhand gear? Did you factor in relicensing IOS? Can you even get a new SMARTnet contract on that old gear?

As for why I wouldn't use an old 6509 + 2xSups + random line cards is that there isn't much ability for expansion in the future. We've not even sure what thenjduke's requirements are.

+1 to this. Why buy gear already end of life? This isn't a lab we are talking about here. And who the hell wants CatOS anyway?
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
    to play devil's advocate - I'd take that over what he's running in his core right now.

Otherwise, I'm a bit of a snob. If I have to use a 6500, it better have at least a sup720-3bxl
  • networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    to play devil's advocate - I'd take that over what he's running in his core right now.

Otherwise, I'm a bit of a snob. If I have to use a 6500, it better have at least a sup720-3bxl

I'd much rather recent supported Dell switches (not sure if thats what the OP has) than some outdated unsupported Cisco gear. If you are relieng on this for your network core you are going to want vendor support contracts for replacement and technical assistance. Do you really want to get woken up at 3A.M. for a hardware/software failure and not have vendor support? I know I wouldn't for damn sure.
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
    I'd much rather recent supported Dell switches (not sure if thats what the OP has) than some outdated unsupported Cisco gear. If you are relieng on this for your network core you are going to want vendor support contracts for replacement and technical assistance. Do you really want to get woken up at 3A.M. for a hardware/software failure and not have vendor support? I know I wouldn't for damn sure.

Of course I wouldn't, I said I was a snob!

But what I want and what management will pay for are quite often two different things. I know there's at least one ISP in america who is using a pair of non-E 6500's with sup2's as the core routers for their multicast (ie, cable video) traffic. The parts were purchased used, and had absolutely no support contract.

So while I didn't like the situation, and advised them that this was a Bad Idea, I was still happy to take their money. ;)