Need your opinion - SANS related

drk1980drk1980 Member Posts: 19 ■□□□□□□□□□
Hi everyone,

I recently got my CISSP and have 6 years of experience in the related domains (Access control, Operation Security and Network Security)

As you can see from my other posts here i am thinking about writing SANS certs.
The ones i would like to do are GPEN and GCIA. My current work is more of intrusion analysis.

I have the latest course material from my colleague for GPEN.. also since my employer won't pay for these certs, at the max i can afford for 1 course (ondemand) and i am planning to get GCIA.

I know the GPEN course is also good... but then i can't afford both of them.

So the question is do you think that by doing a self-study with the course material and practicing the labs it is possible to challenge GPEN?
And since i have the course material, i can use that during the test too... I plan to study for atleast 2-3 months before challenging the test.

Or should i get the ondemand GCIA and plan for GPEN later...

Comments

• ipchainipchain Member Posts: 297
    Quite frankly I believe you should do the GCIA given the fact that it relates to what you are doing at the moment.

While I believe you'll be able to challenge the GPEN with the latest course material, it may get your colleague in trouble. As I understand it students are not allowed to share their books by any means. If you're caught using someone else's books, he/she may actually lose the books and SANS may revoke their credential(s).

Just a few thoughts. Perhaps someone else can shed some more light into this.
    Every day hurts, the last one kills.
  • SephStormSephStorm Member Posts: 1,731 ■■■■■■■□□□
  • drk1980drk1980 Member Posts: 19 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Well when i posted the topic i didn't know that books too can't be shared... thought that only the ondemand portal access shouldn't be shared... icon_redface.gif

anyways dropped an email to GIAC and this is their reply

Forwarded message
    Date: Tue, Nov 30, 2010 at 10:10 AM
    Subject: Re: [Ticket#2010113010000215] info reqd about SANS books
    To: DR

Hello,
    The books should also not be shared. The coursebooks are intended solely for
    individual use.

Kind Regards,
    --
    xxxxxxxx
    GIAC Customer Support - [email protected]
    For more Certification information, please visit: http://www.giac.org
  • colemiccolemic Member Posts: 1,569 ■■■■■■■□□□
    Is there a valid reason for this, outside of wanting to make more money from books sales?
    Working on: staying alive and staying employed
  • Chris:/*Chris:/* Member Posts: 658 ■■■■■■■■□□
    All books that come with certification classes are for personal use only SANS is not the only one.
    Degrees:
    M.S. Information Security and Assurance
    B.S. Computer Science - Summa Cum Laude
    A.A.S. Electronic Systems Technology
    Chris:/* wrote: »
    All books that come with certification classes are for personal use only SANS is not the only one.

...but what's the reason? There's nothing that says I can't loan out any Shon Harris books, , or ISC2 books, for example... just wondering if there is a specific reason why, outside of simply wanting to sell more books.
    Part of it is money I am sure but the other part is the context of information being provided. Those books are designed to work with the class and what the instructor will discuss though any experienced professional can infer the meaning. I was told this by both my SANS instructor and my VMware instructor the same thing. Another thing to keep in mind is there are a large number of mimic certifications out there. SANS does not other vendors popping up to rip off their material that they have developed.
    Degrees:
  • Bl8ckr0uterBl8ckr0uter Inactive Imported Users Posts: 5,031 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I think it is mostly about the money....

Can they legally do that? How can they tell you what to do with your property (assuming that they didn't get you to sign a contract stating that you would only use it for yourself)? That's like me buying a car and VW telling me only I can drive it.
    No it isn't like that and in the class they brief you that information. It is more like owning a copy of Windows 7 and only you can install it equal to the number of licenses.

Eric Cole told me of an incident where a former SANS instructor stole a whole bunch of course material and wrote some really bad books to prepare for the Certs.
    Degrees:
  • wastedtimewastedtime Member Posts: 586 ■■■■□□□□□□
    For arguments sake...

I don't see how they could tell you it is illegal to give your material to someone else but I could see a failure to follow there policy stripping you of your cert and preventing any future ones you would want to get.
    Assuming they could tell where you got the book/study materials from??? Are they numbered or something? I would be curious how they would/even could investigate that - the devil's advocate in me would simply say, "I decline to answer" or "none of your business." If refusing to provide information was the casue, that's pretty thin grounds for revoking a cert or future certs, IMO.

sorry guys and gals I am just in an agitated, slightly antagonistic mood.
    No they are just books and they would more than likely just go by hearsay anyway.

I have only heard of a couple of people ever getting certs revoked and that was for using Brain ****. Most NDA state they reserve the right to revoke the status of a certified professional I do no know the means in which they would legally justify it I am not a lawyer.
    Degrees:
  • drk1980drk1980 Member Posts: 19 ■□□□□□□□□□
    i guess the % of ppl who take them because their employer was able to pay for the course is very high compared to any other vendor-neutral cert...

and then from what i read over and over in this forum and few others too - your chances of passing the exam are way higher if you have their books...

and then even the self-study route would cost you 3500+ $...

thanks SANS... i m going for Offensive Security
  • ipchainipchain Member Posts: 297
    There is a fine print in the first page of the books that pretty much states their policy. If you're not in agreement with it you can return the book for a full refund.

I guess it's all about the money and it's not difficult to see where they are coming from. I would dare to say that if you purchase the course material then you'll definitely pass, considering you put in the time.

Overall, I am very pleased with the course material for GCIH and cannot wait to tackle GCIA and GPEN a couple of months down the line.

The course material is quite expensive but it's well worth every cent. Look out for any offers they may be having next month.
    Every day hurts, the last one kills.
  • SephStormSephStorm Member Posts: 1,731 ■■■■■■■□□□
    Chris:/* wrote: »
    No it isn't like that and in the class they brief you that information. It is more like owning a copy of Windows 7 and only you can install it equal to the number of licenses.

Eric Cole told me of an incident where a former SANS instructor stole a whole bunch of course material and wrote some really bad books to prepare for the Certs.

Well, the info is still copyrighted, making available to be resold or whatnot doesnt remove their rights.