Options

have A+CE, Network+CE, and Security+ now

michaelcoxmichaelcox Member Posts: 105
I passed A+ in 1998, Network+ in 2000, and Security+ in December 2010. So, I had all 3 for life. Based on Comptia's website, I believed that I should have A+CE and Network+CE also, after enrolling in CE and paying the fee since I got Security+ less than 90-days before enrolling in CE. One of the people at Comptia agreed with me. Well, it has taken a month, but I received yesterday (Friday) A+CE, Network+CE, and Security+CE in Cert Matrix. Lots of emails and several phone calls, but am happy its all done!

Courses Completed at WGU ( 8 ):
Term 1 (April 2011): EWB2, WSV1, BRV1, BSV1 | Term 2 (October 2011): LET1, ORC1 | Term 3 (April 2012): MGC1, TPV1
Courses Required Graduate WGU with BS - IT: SEC ( 8 ):
BOV1, KET1, WDV1, KFT1, ABV1, TWA1, BLV1, CPW4

Comments

• Options
    steve13adsteve13ad Member Posts: 398 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I'm thinking that when you got the CE moniker, that overrides your lifetime status.

Did you get it in writing that you were still lifetime certified?
  • Options
    erpadminerpadmin Member Posts: 4,165 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Wow....I like this! (Really.)

It would appear you gamed the system so that you wouldn't have to take A+ and Network+ for WGU....the A+ and Network+ ce designation you had gotten from CompTIA will actually count against the five years and you won't (shouldn't anyway) have to take A+ and Network+ again.

I didn't personally think you could do that but it's CompTIA's fault for letting that loophole of using your Security+ exam you took for lifetime actually count for your CE program.

Well played and well done! icon_cool.gif I would have hated taking A+ and Network+ again...
  • Options
    steve13ad wrote: »
    I'm thinking that when you got the CE moniker, that overrides your lifetime status.

Did you get it in writing that you were still lifetime certified?

Negative.

It's in CompTIA's policy that if he should let his CE status expire, his lifetime certs goes back to lifetime. That much I know.
  • Options
    erpadmin wrote: »
    Negative.

It's in CompTIA's policy that if he should let his CE status expire, his lifetime certs goes back to lifetime. That much I know.

Then well played, sir!

I wonder how many other people did the same thing.
  • Options
    erpadmin wrote: »
    ...It would appear you gamed the system so that you wouldn't have to take A+ and Network+ for WGU....the A+ and Network+ ce designation you had gotten from CompTIA will actually count against the five years and you won't (shouldn't anyway) have to take A+ and Network+ again.

I didn't personally think you could do that but it's CompTIA's fault for letting that loophole of using your Security+ exam you took for lifetime actually count for your CE program...

Thanks. WGU told me they would take A+CE and Network+ CE, which is why I went down this road. I ended up having to delay WGU a month for Comptia to get it working. :D

Term 1 (April 2011): EWB2, WSV1, BRV1, BSV1 | Term 2 (October 2011): LET1, ORC1 | Term 3 (April 2012): MGC1, TPV1
  • Options
    steve13ad wrote: »
    Then well played, sir!

I wonder how many other people did the same thing.

thanks. I've wondered that too. There is enough of us on TE that did Security+ in December, I wonder if anyone else has tried.

• Options
    IT_FANIT_FAN Member Posts: 88 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Does one have to pay for three years ($147) in order to receive the CE moniker certifications?
    CompTIA A+ (2009 Edition) | CompTIA Network + (2009 Edition) | CompTIA Security + (2008 Edition) | CASP | CCDA | CCNA | CCNAS | CCNAV | CCDP | CCNP | CCNP:Security | MCTS | MCP | MCSA | MCSE | MCITP:EA | ITIL v3 Foundation 8)
  • Options
    michaelcox wrote: »
    thanks. I've wondered that too. There is enough of us on TE that did Security+ in December, I wonder if anyone else has tried.

It wouldn't hurt to post your upgrade on some of the "Passed Security+" that we saw right before the cut off.
  • Options
    IT_FAN wrote: »
    Does one have to pay for three years ($147) in order to receive the CE moniker certifications?

I'm not sure. I paid for year 1 and when I didn't get CE, I paid for the next 2 and then started harassing Comptia until I got CE.

• Options
    NickDogNickDog Member Posts: 54 ■■□□□□□□□□
    OK,
    So I'm confused? I currently have my Network+ and A+ from 2004. I am currently studying for Sec+. When I pass my Sec+ exam will I have the chance to bring my Network+ and A+ into the CE program effectively updating those to the current standard?
  • Options
    NickDog wrote: »
    OK,
    So I'm confused? I currently have my Network+ and A+ from 2004. I am currently studying for Sec+. When I pass my Sec+ exam will I have the chance to bring my Network+ and A+ into the CE program effectively updating those to the current standard?

in a word, yes. You'll have to pay the CE fee, but Security+ fullfiles CE requirements for A+ and Network+.

• Options
    PaperlanternPaperlantern Member Posts: 352
    This is very interesting. This was a topic of confusion for myself and I'm sure others a little under 2 months ago in this thread

http://www.techexams.net/forums/security/60889-uptick-passed-exams.html

I had read it that way as well, and thought that I could use my passing of my Sec+ (which at the time was less than 90 days ago) to bring my A+ and Net+ current. However erpadmin had pointed out why that wasnt the case, and after rereading it several more times, based on what he said, it made sense and I didnt think anything of it. But it looks like someone has now actually DONE, what i thought at the time, was me MISREADING the site. Or am I trippin?

Perhaps it wasnt as big of a mistake as I had originally thought?
  • Options
    This is very interesting. This was a topic of confusion for myself and I'm sure others a little under 2 months ago in this thread

http://www.techexams.net/forums/security/60889-uptick-passed-exams.html

I had read it that way as well, and thought that I could use my passing of my Sec+ (which at the time was less than 90 days ago) to bring my A+ and Net+ current. However erpadmin had pointed out why that wasnt the case, and after rereading it several more times, based on what he said, it made sense and I didnt think anything of it. But it looks like someone has now actually DONE, what i thought at the time, was me MISREADING the site. Or am I trippin?

Perhaps it wasnt as big of a mistake as I had originally thought?

PL,

Despite Michael's success at gaming the system, I believe 100% that I wasn't wrong, as I read the CompTIA policy. It took Mr. Cox a good month or so of getting CompTIA to agree that passing the Security+ within the 90 day requirement counted as 50 CEUs. Whether I agree with that or not is immaterial, which is why I congratulated Mike on playing the system well in his favor.

Essentially, CompTIA let him double-dip. I am glad it worked out for him, or anyone else that wanted to double-dip, but that's basically what was done. But that's what took CompTIA so long to get back to him.

I believe I was correct...if I wasn't, it would not have taken Mr. Cox so long to get the resolution satisfied in his favor.

To be clear, I'm not saying he should have or shouldn't....I tip my hat at him for the successful attempt. But it is evident that it wasn't clear whether or not it should have been allowed at all. What he did though was save himself from retaking A+ and Network+....that's some niceness right there.
  • Options
    I'm not sure if CompTIA intended on those of us who waited until the end for life status to use the 90-day window for CE Credit, but I do think I am correct because their policy isn't clear. It left room for interpetation and I guess Comptia agreed with me enough to at least give me CE. If I wasn't planning on starting at WGU, I don't think I would have even tried... :)

You should give it a shot PL and see if you can get CE credit also. Worse thing that can happen is lots of frustration and not getting it. I had lots of frustration and I did get it. icon_cheers.gif

I decided to go for Security+ so I'd have it for life. I went for CE because I decided to start WGU.

• Options
    PaperlanternPaperlantern Member Posts: 352
    Oh I agree, I think erpadmin is right as well, I do not BELIEVE that their intent was to allow this to happen. However it does appear that it wasn't just me that interpreted it wrong and I commend CompTIA on seeing this error and allowing the OP to do what he had thought he could do by reading the CompTIA site.

I wonder if they'll reword it?
  • Options
    I had my WGU intake interview today. The IT recrument person said that I was the 1st person she's aware of to have CompTIA CE certificates and that after I asked them about it, they went and had a department meeting and reviewed the information and are excited about CompTIA's CE program.