Options

Question regarding SRND and a question on labbing

I was thinking about using this as a tool while I study for my CCNP: Voice. I have heard it was a good read but no one say they used it for a study companion. I'm thinking about reading the CUCS8 SRND since we would have to wait a few months for the 8.0 books.(was flipping through 7.x but shodown brought it to my attention that 8.x was out) An opinion or 5 would be greatly appreciated..lol.

Also, I've been trying to design a lab environment following the design that Josh used on Blindhog. I see that he has a seperate server for Unity and CUCM. Would I be able to get away with using CUCMBE and still get all I need out of Unity or will it just be best to have them on separate servers?
Reading: What ever is on my desk that day :study:

Comments

• Options
    shodownshodown Member Posts: 2,271
    With a seperate sever you wouldn't get to test out the PUB/SUB setup which you need for understaning database replicaiton.

As for using the SRND you have to use it to pass. It actually has answers word for word on the test. Its a monster read to break it up into small chunks of what you are currently instrested it and it goes by fast. Also if u have a VOICE job you actually find yourself reading it everyday.
    Currently Reading

CUCM SRND 9x/10, UCCX SRND 10x, QOS SRND, SIP Trunking Guide, anything contact center related
  • Options
    jahsouljahsoul Member Posts: 453
    shodown wrote: »
    With a seperate sever you wouldn't get to test out the PUB/SUB setup which you need for understaning database replicaiton.

As for using the SRND you have to use it to pass. It actually has answers word for word on the test. Its a monster read to break it up into small chunks of what you are currently instrested it and it goes by fast. Also if u have a VOICE job you actually find yourself reading it everyday.
    But for what exam? I mean, does it really go through the whole CCNP-Voice track in a 1400 page pdf? I know that it is really in depth but I didn't know how much so. And right now, I'm interested in it all...lol.

As far as the lab, are you talking about not being able to test database replication if I have CUCM and Unity on a separate server. I am having issues with loading just Unity in vmware. The way I was thinking about setting up VMWare is:

[main box]
    CUCMBE [Pub]
    CUPS
    UCCX

[Macbook Pro]
    CUCM

And they are bridged to the physical network. (vnet1) Is this setup at all possible.. *looking for shrug smiley*
  • Options
    jahsoul wrote: »
    But for what exam? I mean, does it really go through the whole CCNP-Voice track in a 1400 page pdf? I know that it is really in depth but I didn't know how much so. And right now, I'm interested in it all...lol.

As far as the lab, are you talking about not being able to test database replication if I have CUCM and Unity on a separate server. I am having issues with loading just Unity in vmware. The way I was thinking about setting up VMWare is:

[main box]
    CUCMBE [Pub]
    CUPS
    UCCX

[Macbook Pro]
    CUCM

And they are bridged to the physical network. (vnet1) Is this setup at all possible.. *looking for shrug smiley*

CIPT1/2 and the new one with Unity/Unityconenction will fit with the SRND

Cisco IOS Voice port configuration is good CVOICE or the stuff out of the gateway gatekeepers book

Serviceablity and the Troubleshooting guide is good for the troubleshooting exam.

This list of PDF's will have the majority of items you need for the exam

Cisco Unified Communications Manager Documentation Guide for Release 8.0(2) - Cisco Systems

Get use to coming here everyday once u get into voice or having them all in folders on your computer for each version.
    Currently Reading

CUCM SRND 9x/10, UCCX SRND 10x, QOS SRND, SIP Trunking Guide, anything contact center related
  • Options
    mikej412mikej412 Member Posts: 10,086 ■■■■■■■■■■
    I have heard it was a good read but no one say they used it for a study companion.
    Once you hit the professional level exams you should be using the Documentation and White Papers on the Cisco Website.

And that can also include the Solution Reference Network Design (SRND) documents:
    mikej412 wrote: »
    I used this SRND -- Cisco Unified Communications SRND Based on Cisco Unified CallManager 4.x - Device Mobility [Cisco Unified Communications Manager (CallManager)] - Cisco Systems -- but there should be an SRND for which ever versions of Unified Communications software you're using that should include Device Mobility. I thought this did a pretty good job of explaining and diagramming the issues and solutions when I did the CCVP,

When I did the CCVP there were no Cisco Press Certification books so I had to use the CCIE Reading list and lots of trial and error (and extra reading) to find the relevant information -- so I spent a lot of time just looking through the documentation and SRNDs.
    :mike: Cisco Certifications -- Collect the Entire Set!
  • Options
    *clicked on link, scrolled down, and shed a single tear*

You are official shodown..lol. I appreciate the link. I guess I will use all of these until I can afford to get the books.

The fact that next week, I won't be working for a Partner just hit me. lol. I don't know what I'll have access to working with GDIT. At least I can keep what I got here. icon_thumright.gif
  • Options
    mikej412 wrote: »
    Once you hit the professional level exams you should be using the Documentation and White Papers on the Cisco Website.

And that can also include the Solution Reference Network Design (SRND) documents:

When I did the CCVP there were no Cisco Press Certification books so I had to use the CCIE Reading list and lots of trial and error (and extra reading) to find the relevant information -- so I spent a lot of time just looking through the documentation and SRNDs.
    That's actually what I'm thinking about doing. What I'm planning on doing is kind of complex but it works. I had an arrangement with the VP of Operation at my current employer where he actually would pay for my certs because of my personal situation (and he wasn't loosing any money considering it was a reimbursement plan). It hit me last night that I won't have that setup anymore and therefore, I'm no longer in a rush to take CVOICE because I can't afford it and I don't know how long it will take me to really get back on my feet. So my plan of attack is to continue reading what I have now. I will print out the CCIE Voice blueprint (because it is so organized) and print out documents and White Papers on each topic while trying to maintain a lab. And once I have enough money to take each exam, I will schedule accordingly.

Also

LMBO @ your avatar... icon_lol.gif
  • Options
    *clicked on link, scrolled down, and shed a single tear*

You are official shodown..lol. I appreciate the link. I guess I will use all of these until I can afford to get the books.

The fact that next week, I won't be working for a Partner just hit me. lol. I don't know what I'll have access to working with GDIT. At least I can keep what I got here. icon_thumright.gif

GDIT sucks monkey balls. I turn down jobs from them all the time. They do have a massive lab if you are on the right project.
    Currently Reading

• Options
    GDIT sucks monkey balls. I turn down jobs from them all the time. They do have a massive lab if you are on the right project.
    LMBO...must be nice to be in that position. I will be there one day but for now, it was a major step up. icon_thumright.gif

From what I heard, we have 2 major projects that is about to happen. The first is upgrading all of the wiring closets and the other is an upgrade to the voice system on base. I hope to have a hand in the latter...
  • Options
    LMBO...must be nice to be in that position. I will be there one day but for now, it was a major step up. icon_thumright.gif

From what I heard, we have 2 major projects that is about to happen. The first is upgrading all of the wiring closets and the other is an upgrade to the voice system on base. I hope to have a hand in the latter...

I worked for them when I was coming up. They advertised the job as being so fabulous. All i was doing was calling providers telling them T1's were down and monitoring VTC's. I stayed there for about 7 weeks. 5 Of those were finding a new job.
    Currently Reading

• Options
    I worked for them when I was coming up. They advertised the job as being so fabulous. All i was doing was calling providers telling them T1's were down and monitoring VTC's. I stayed there for about 7 weeks. 5 Of those were finding a new job.
    lol...my wife already thinks I won't be here longer than a year. I have to show her that I will commit longer that 4-5 months, which is the time I've spent on my last 2 jobs..lol. I'm trying to come up in the IT world..
  • Options
    pitviperpitviper Member Posts: 1,376 ■■■■■■■□□□
    SRNDs are an excellent resource. I would grab the QOS, UCM, and CME SRNDs (at the very least) and map the sections out to the exam blueprint for whichever exam you are working on. I used them as supplemental material while studying; now use them almost exclusively for things that I forget :)
    CCNP:Collaboration, CCNP:R&S, CCNA:S, CCNA:V, CCNA, CCENT
  • Options
    chmorinchmorin Member Posts: 1,446 ■■■■■□□□□□
    pitviper wrote: »
    SRNDs are an excellent resource. I would grab the QOS, UCM, and CME SRNDs (at the very least) and map the sections out to the exam blueprint for whichever exam you are working on. I used them as supplemental material while studying; now use them almost exclusively for things that I forget :)

Ever since I was introduced to the SRNDs I have been using them exactly as above. For an additional resource on configuration and best practices as well as a quick search engine for anything technical. Fantastic resource.
    Currently Pursuing
    WGU (BS in IT Network Administration) - 52%| CCIE:Voice Written - 0% (0/200 Hours)
    mikej412 wrote:
    Cisco Networking isn't just a job, it's a Lifestyle.