Options

Who has graduated with a WGU Masters in Information Security and Assurance?

13»

Comments

• Options
    Indy50Indy50 Registered Users Posts: 2 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Thank you for the information. I will do more research on the topic in the forums. You have progressed though the courses really fast. It will nice to finish the program in two terms.

Regards,

Indy50
  • Options
    mataimatai Member Posts: 232 ■■■□□□□□□□
    colemic wrote: »
    MSISA + MBA IT Management = ok (what I am doing) MSISA + MSNM = not allowed. It's not a classification so much as the department that sponsors that degree. Effectively, you can only earn only one of these three: Online Master Degree Programs | Information Technology | WGU Masters Degree Online and one from these 4: Online MBA | Master of Business Administration Degree. Same applies to each college, so in theory you get all 4 (I think 3's a hat trick, what's 4 called?) Hope that clarifies some.

Do the MSISA and MBA-IT overlap at all with classes?
    Current: CISM, CISA, CISSP, SSCP, GCIH, GCWN, C|EH, VCP5-DCV, VCP5-DT, CCNA Sec, CCNA R&S, CCENT, NPP, CASP, CSA+, Security+, Linux+, Network+, Project+, A+, ITIL v3 F, MCSA Server 2012 (70-410, 70-411, 74-409), 98-349, 98-361, 1D0-610, 1D0-541, 1D0-520
    In Progress: ​Not sure...
  • Options
    aspiringsoulaspiringsoul Member Posts: 314
    Do the MSISA and MBA-IT overlap at all with classes?

No it does not. There is overlap between the MSISA and the MS: IT Management degree though.
    Education: MS-Information Security and Assurance from Western Governors University, BS-Business Information Systems from Indiana Wesleyan University, AAS-Computer Network Systems - ITT Tech,
  • Options
    vonoventwinvonoventwin Member Posts: 16 ■□□□□□□□□□
    matai wrote: »
    My only issue with the WGU program is that it includes two CEH certifications. For DoD jobs, I'm told those are frowned on.

I know this is old, but this is semi true. I am a Mgmt level DoD employee in Cyber Security and have hired many individuals. The reason some "frown" upon them, is simply because you are over qualified for that particular position. So let me make it easy, an IAT level II requires Security +, which means they will only pay for you to stay Security + certified. If you come in with a CISSP or a GCIH, it's awesome that you have those, but now you are going to try and maintain them (which heck, you better, those are great Certs) the problem lies that the Govt will not pay your maintenance fees or renewal fees b/c you are only required to be Security + certified. So if have all these other Certs like CEH, which I do; just know they are never "frowned upon" when applying for the job, they will ALWAYS help you on your resume! However, when you have the job, they are semi frowned upon b/c me as the manager cannot do anything to help you keep them (ie. annual costs). Now some DoD companies are different and will, but not ours!

Cliff notes: the more Certs on your resume the better, but I look at Degrees (BS and MS/MBA) over Certs all day!

BTW, IAT level III does require CISSP or GCIH so don't be confused thinking you will never need those in DoD.
  • Options
    cwelbercwelber Member Posts: 38 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I finish my Cybersecurity masters at Excelsior in 4.5 weeks and I'm hoping for a pay bump. Good program, mostly military folks.
  • Options
    shochanshochan Member Posts: 1,004 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I have been reading about this online university on here lately...I have approx. 89hrs college credits completed and have my AAS in CIS at a local technical college. My main concern is whether or not WGU could get the axe from federal funding like several of these alternative learning colleges have been shut down without notice due. (ITT, Heritage College, Corinthian College, perhaps more) Maybe it is not a concern, but I just wanted to inquire...They might be doing fine, I just didn't want to invest and then get burned.
    CompTIA A+, Network+, i-Net+, MCP 70-210, CNA v5, Server+, Security+, Cloud+, CySA+, ISC² CC, ISC² SSCP
  • Options
    ratbuddyratbuddy Member Posts: 665
    No worries there. Those other places have been shut down because they are for-profit organizations created exclusively to abuse the crap out of federal student loan and aid programs. They use deceptive recruitment practices, charge exorbitant rates, and pass anyone who keeps paying. WGU has nothing in common with those shysters.
  • Options
    trueshrewkmctrueshrewkmc Member Posts: 107
    @shochan The most important thing to consider for an online (or brick and mortar) school is whether the school is regionally accredited. If a school's not regionally accredited, your credits (or your entire degree) may not be accepted by another school. That was the other big problem with ITT, Corinthian, etc. For-profit schools can hold regional accreditations: Cappella is regionally accredited and I think University of Phoenix is too.

WGU headquarters is in Utah, so its regional accreditor is Northwest Commission on Colleges and Universities (NWCCU). This is the same accreditor as Brigham Young, University of Washington, and University of Oregon. When I shop for online schools, I look to see if the school is regionally accredited, its current status, and which other schools are accredited by the regional accreditor.

Some states have higher education agencies that accept complaints about institutions in their states or whose students are in their state. Arizona, where I live, posts complaints about institutions to its higher ed agency on its web site.