Options

Who has graduated with a WGU Masters in Information Security and Assurance?

Comments

• Options
    mataimatai Member Posts: 232 ■■■□□□□□□□
    My only issue with the WGU program is that it includes two CEH certifications. For DoD jobs, I'm told those are frowned on.
    Current: CISM, CISA, CISSP, SSCP, GCIH, GCWN, C|EH, VCP5-DCV, VCP5-DT, CCNA Sec, CCNA R&S, CCENT, NPP, CASP, CSA+, Security+, Linux+, Network+, Project+, A+, ITIL v3 F, MCSA Server 2012 (70-410, 70-411, 74-409), 98-349, 98-361, 1D0-610, 1D0-541, 1D0-520
    In Progress: ​Not sure...
  • Options
    Danielm7Danielm7 Member Posts: 2,310 ■■■■■■■■□□
    matai wrote: »
    My only issue with the WGU program is that it includes two CEH certifications. For DoD jobs, I'm told those are frowned on.

If it was really a negative you could just try not listing them on your resume? I don't list the CIW web design stuff I had to do through WGU because there is no point and I'm not looking for a position involving web design.
  • Options
    ajs1976ajs1976 Member Posts: 1,945 ■■■■□□□□□□

that's odd. If DoD frowns upon them then why is CEH on the list of 8570 certs? DoD 8570 Information Assurance Workforce Improvement Program
    Andy

2020 Goals: 0 of 2 courses complete, 0 of 2 exams complete
  • Options
    mataimatai Member Posts: 232 ■■■□□□□□□□
    ajs1976 wrote: »
    that's odd. If DoD frowns upon them then why is CEH on the list of 8570 certs? DoD 8570 Information Assurance Workforce Improvement Program

Yes, they're on the official DoD 8570 list, but what I understand is that actual hiring managers don't respect those certifications. Also, if someone has CEH certs but is not actively using those skills, they will not be considered.

Just what I was told from a trusted source. Doesn't matter to me if you believe me or not.
    Current: CISM, CISA, CISSP, SSCP, GCIH, GCWN, C|EH, VCP5-DCV, VCP5-DT, CCNA Sec, CCNA R&S, CCENT, NPP, CASP, CSA+, Security+, Linux+, Network+, Project+, A+, ITIL v3 F, MCSA Server 2012 (70-410, 70-411, 74-409), 98-349, 98-361, 1D0-610, 1D0-541, 1D0-520
    In Progress: ​Not sure...
  • Options
    colemiccolemic Member Posts: 1,569 ■■■■■■■□□□
    I would think that for gov. jobs, it wouldn't matter so much, and for contracting jobs, I can see where they would feel that way, but also that it is a cert that meets the checkbox requirements (good example of valuing compliance over security, IMO.) I would say that if that is the *only* relevant certification you have, then it would probably be frowned upon, as you said - but if it is complemented by other, more respected certs, it shouldn't get you dinged too much. And you can always just not list it, as long as you have something else that can put the checkmark in the box.
    Working on: staying alive and staying employed
  • Options
    ajs1976ajs1976 Member Posts: 1,945 ■■■■□□□□□□
    @matai

I believe you, but still think it is an odd situation. Although I do have my own concerns about the CEH and the vendor.
    Andy

2020 Goals: 0 of 2 courses complete, 0 of 2 exams complete
  • Options
    stryder144stryder144 Member Posts: 1,684 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Since the MSc from WGU mentions that the course work is aligned with the 10 domains covered by the CISSP, does having that certification before applying satisfy any of the classes that you need to take?
    The easiest thing to be in the world is you. The most difficult thing to be is what other people want you to be. Don't let them put you in that position. ~ Leo Buscaglia

Connect With Me || My Blog Site || Follow Me
  • Options
    BundimanBundiman Member Posts: 201
    I have a CISSP and it doesn't count towards any of the classes.
    Bachelor of Science, IT - Security Emphasis (Start Date: Apr 1st, 2013)
    Bachelor of Science, IT - Security Emphasis (Completed: Apr 25t, 2014)
  • Options
    bryguybryguy Member Posts: 190
    Just what I was told from a trusted source. Doesn't matter to me if you believe me or not.

Your trusted source clearly doesn't know what they're talking about... the CEH is a required certfication for DOD CNDSP positions.
  • Options
    BGravesBGraves Member Posts: 339
    stryder144 wrote: »
    Since the MSc from WGU mentions that the course work is aligned with the 10 domains covered by the CISSP, does having that certification before applying satisfy any of the classes that you need to take?
    It won't count as a class or anything but I can tell that preparing for the CISSP and studying has definitely helped me pick up the topics quicker and complete some of the classes faster. Also, the classes count as CPE's which help you maintain your CISSP credential....so that's a bonus!
  • Options
    emerald_octaneemerald_octane Member Posts: 613

No, especially since the CISSP can be used to gain entry into the program (amongst other things).
  • Options
    DoyenDoyen Member Posts: 397 ■■■□□□□□□□
    BGraves wrote: »
    It won't count as a class or anything but I can tell that preparing for the CISSP and studying has definitely helped me pick up the topics quicker and complete some of the classes faster. Also, the classes count as CPE's which help you maintain your CISSP credential....so that's a bonus!

I didn't know about the CPE's. Since you addressed that it helped you pick up on topics quicker, that is a motivation for me to try to attain the CISSP certification before entering the MSISA program.
    Goals for 2016: [] VCP 5.5: ICM (recertifying) , [ ] VMware VCA-NV, [ ] 640-911 DCICN, [ ] 640-916 DCICT, [ ] CCNA: Data Center, [ ] CISSP (Associate), [ ] 300-101 ROUTE, [ ] 300-115 SWITCH, [ ] 300-135 TSHOOT, [ ] CCNP: Route & Switch, [ ] CEHv8, [ ] LX0-103, [ ] LX0-104
    Future Goals: WGU MSISA or Capital Technology Univerisity MSCIS Degree Program
    Click here to connect with me on LinkedIn! Just mention your are from Techexams.net.
  • Options
    An update for those following the thread the last couple of years - I finished the degree in a little over two years (with a year in Afghanistan.) Finished 60% of the coursework overseas, including 2 of the certs. It did garner me a raise when I graduated (and told my boss)... I was also selected to be the student speaker at the 2013 WGU Texas graduation. Overall, it's a good cert... it's not exactly what I was looking for, though - I would have liked to more classes geared toward project management/leadership, because that's what I expect people with a Master's degree to do, instead of technical deep dives. I just started my second masters in Management and Leadership, they need a way to figure out how to merge the two and it would be perfect for me. :)
  • Options
    Where are you getting your Masters in Management and Leadership? Are you getting that from WGU or am I getting that confused with their Network Management in IT?
    Goals for 2016: [] VCP 5.5: ICM (recertifying) , [ ] VMware VCA-NV, [ ] 640-911 DCICN, [ ] 640-916 DCICT, [ ] CCNA: Data Center, [ ] CISSP (Associate), [ ] 300-101 ROUTE, [ ] 300-115 SWITCH, [ ] 300-135 TSHOOT, [ ] CCNP: Route & Switch, [ ] CEHv8, [ ] LX0-103, [ ] LX0-104
    Click here to connect with me on LinkedIn! Just mention your are from Techexams.net.
  • Options
    WGU. I would have rather gone for the NMIT, but they wouldn't let me get two graduate degrees from the same college (MSML is in the college of business, MSISA is college of I.T.)
  • Options
    Thank you very much for sharing that info Colemic +rep So you cannot get two graduate degrees from WGU. I was wondering about that when I was looking at a few of their graduate programs and saw that they shared some of the same courses. I was curious how they would transfer over but now they wouldn't. So even if the degree was in different programs/college, you could not get another graduate degree? Such as a MSISA and an MBA in IT Management or just the regular MBA? I guess the only way to get multiple degrees from WGU is by getting an undergrad and then a graduate degree since two graduate degrees is off the table?
  • Options
    stryder144stryder144 Member Posts: 1,684 ■■■■■■■■□□
    You could, technically, get four bachelor degrees from WGU and four masters. Just so long as one each comes from the nursing, business, IT, and teaching "colleges".
    The easiest thing to be in the world is you. The most difficult thing to be is what other people want you to be. Don't let them put you in that position. ~ Leo Buscaglia

Connect With Me || My Blog Site || Follow Me
  • Options
    ratbuddyratbuddy Member Posts: 665
    You can get more than one bachelors from the same college as well, as long as there are at least 30 new CU in the extra degrees.
  • Options
    I appreciate your responses!
    ratbuddy wrote: »
    You can get more than one bachelors from the same college as well, as long as there are at least 30 new CU in the extra degrees.
    As you said, I do recall that I read somewhere on WGU's FAQ page that there has to be at least 30 CUs. Since most of the graduate degrees are about 30 or 33 CUs, it wouldn't be possible to get two graduate degrees from the same college/field since some of the same courses would transfer over making the CU less than 30. However, I do see how that makes it possible to attain multiple undergrads from the same college since most of the undergrads are around 120 CUs or so. Most of the same classes would transfer over and I am sure that the courses that makes makes the specialization would amount to more than 30 CUs. Still, wouldn't the degree still read as "Bachelor of Science: Information Technology" without a specialization listed each time you get it? If that is the case, I am sure they would forbid it as a rule somewhere since it would be redundant?
    You could, technically, get four bachelor degrees from WGU and four masters. Just so long as one each comes from the nursing, business, IT, and teaching "colleges".
    confused.pngNow I am confused. Are you saying that I could earn a MSISA from the college of information technology and an MBA in IT Management since that is part of the college of business. Or would they classify MBA in IT Management as college of information technology since it appears in both colleges...meaning I would have to get a normal MBA from them? So mainly a MSISA and MBA is okay but no MSISA and MSIT: Network Management?
  • Options
    MSISA + MBA IT Management = ok (what I am doing) MSISA + MSNM = not allowed. It's not a classification so much as the department that sponsors that degree. Effectively, you can only earn only one of these three: Online Master Degree Programs | Information Technology | WGU Masters Degree Online and one from these 4: Online MBA | Master of Business Administration Degree. Same applies to each college, so in theory you get all 4 (I think 3's a hat trick, what's 4 called?) Hope that clarifies some.
  • Options
    Yes you can, but only one from each college that makes up WGU (Information technology, business, education, and nursing). My MSISA comes from IT, MSML comes from the Business College.
  • Options
    colemic wrote: »
    Hope that clarifies some.
    You have been a great help. You also said you would have preferred the NMIT over your MSISA. Did they not offer that program when you enrolled? Choosing between the two is tough, though I want an IA degree, the WGU has some sort of partnership with EC-Council to where students can take the CEH exam. Their degree is also a very affordable price that I shouldn't have to take loans out for if I budget well. I also find the NMIT appealing since it is an Information Technology degree in Network Management (although I think it is more IT management than IT networking).

I have been thinking about it today and I may end up that I getting an IA graduate degree from Capital College and NMIT graduate degree from WGU due to their restriction. Depending on the career path, I may decide between their IT MBA or their MS in Management & Leadership. How did you feel about the MSISA program at WGU?
  • Options
    mokaibamokaiba Member Posts: 162 ■■■□□□□□□□
    So, what ive garnered from this thread is to get the CISSP before bothering with a masters after finishing my bachelors.
  • Options
    da_vatoda_vato Member Posts: 445
    mokaiba wrote: »
    So, what ive garnered from this thread is to get the CISSP before bothering with a masters after finishing my bachelors.

It makes it easier to get accepted and understand the program material.
  • Options
    @Doyen It wasn't available until I was about halfway through the program, and little (if any) would have transferred, so I stuck with the MSISA. Are you really going to go for three Master's degrees? Geez I thought I was an overachiever. :) I would recommend WGU over Capitol solely based on cost... for the MSISA, the certs (IMO) are very underwhelming, but I am very anti-EC Council. My biggest gritch about MSISA is that is is too nuts and bolts, not 'bigger picture' enough... I didn't feel that it prepared me very well to be a C-level leader/manager, which is what I envisioned a master's degree in IS to be. Not one course over emerging threats or where the industry is headed, that kind of thing, which I feel are just as important. My ideal degree would be a combination of the MSISA and MLM. But it doesn't exist. :)
  • Options
    @moikaba , agree w/ what da_vato said... it makes the admissions process less painful, and also gives you a leg up in the courses, being familiar with the CISSP domains and concepts makes the learning go that much faster.
  • Options
    @Doyen It wasn't available until I was about halfway through the program, and little (if any) would have transferred, so I stuck with the MSISA. Are you really going to go for three Master's degrees? Geez I thought I was an overachiever.
    Ah, the degree wasn't available when you first applied. Now that make sense. I think you mentioned that already, I'm sorry.

I am unsure about the WGU MBA still because I've been consumed with the concept of getting NCU's MBA in Computer & Information Security. From my ISSA members professions, I see a trend of IT & business closely relating to each other. Which is why an MBA in IT, or mainly security interests me. I've heard a lot about the program from other members that have finished it. The IA field greatly interests me, however, I lack the professional work experience so I feel that the best way to supplement that would be gain knowledge about the topic. Sure, I can do certifications, but I thought maybe an educational degree would be better for me to comprehend the material. For me, I don't see it as a number of degrees or being an over-achiever (icon_lol.gif), but what I knowledge I gain from them to make up from my lack of professional experience. Without any type of experience (whether learned or work), I wouldn't think I'd be of any value anywhere or creditable to do anything, which I feel the certification would be to me.

Tossing the idea of a IA degree from WGU is whether I would be able to self teach myself with the materials they provide or Capital College for more of a instructional lead learning. I like them both, yet unsure which I wanted to do. WGU's cost is the best, but when I earn my self-instructed MSISA I don't know if that will be enough for me gain proper employment...which is why I wanted to fill gaps with other degrees. Or maybe I wanted to be a lifetime student and fear going out into the "real world" of IT.
    ... it makes the admissions process less painful, and also gives you a leg up in the courses, being familiar with the CISSP domains and concepts makes the learning go that much faster.

Would this be the same if I acquired "Associate of ISC2" or is that not seen as a CISSP credential in any way?. I wouldn't have the professional security experience to attain the CISSP certification before applying, which is one of my concerns that I started a topic on the ISC2 forum.
  • Options
    Same applies to each college, so in theory you get all 4 (I think 3's a hat trick, what's 4 called?) Hope that clarifies some.
    It's known as "four in four", or as the "double hat trick" in some sports. I thought about your post when someone brought it up today icon_lol.gif
  • Options
    Indy50Indy50 Registered Users Posts: 2 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Greetings everyone,

I am thinking of starting this program next year (1/2015) and wanted to get feedback on the coursework. How demanding was the coursework, what were exams like? I think they are mostly papers you have to write. Was grading hard? Does it really take 2 years to complete the program or can it be completed faster? Since each term has three classes, is it better to complete one class at a time (every two months) or approach all at the same time? I apologize for so many questions, as there is no other place to turn to. Any feedback will be sincerely appreciated.

Regards,

Indy50
  • Options
    cyberguyprcyberguypr Mod Posts: 6,928 Mod
    Most of that stuff has been answered here before. If you search you'll find a lot of info. But to address some of your points:
    - It's at your own pace. Classes per term are a suggestion. Some people go slower, others go faster. It all depends on your experience and time you can dedicate to the program. One guy here finished in 4 months. I am 3 months into MSISA and have done 15 credits. Most likely I will finish all classes this term and leave the capstone for my next term.
    - You work with the mentor determining how many classes you'll take at once. I did 3 and replaced each one as I finished them.
    - Most are papers. Two are EC Council exams that counts as 1 class each. One is a WGU crypto exam (multiple choice)
    - Grading: fairly simple if you follow the rubric and make it clear for the grader. Note: some rubrics are so vague that will make you want to hurt people