Exchange 2007

FizzedineFizzedine Posts: 33Member ■■□□□□□□□□
Hi all

Im currently going for my MCITP in Server Administration and hope to be certified by the end of August.
After this I was contemplating to go for the MCITP in exchange 2007. Is exchange 2007 still highly used or should I go for Exchange 2010.

any advice will be much appreciated

Fizzedine

Comments

  • CChilderhoseCChilderhose Posts: 137Member
    You are probably better off skipping 2007 and going directly to 2010. I use 2003 at work but we are upgrading directly to 2010 so that is what I am studying to get the MCITP: EMA.

    Good luck.
    VCAP-DCA, VCP 55
    MCITP: EA, VA, SA
    VCAP-DCD, VCP6 -- COMING SOON
  • blargoeblargoe Self-Described Huguenot NC, USAPosts: 4,170Member ■■■■■■■■■□
    I concur... by the time you're ready to start, 2010 will have been out for nearly 2 years. Skip 2007.
    IT guy since 12/00

    Recent: 2/2019 - Updated VCP to 6.5 (just a few days before VMware discontinued the re-cert policy...)
    Working on: RHCSA 7, learning Ansible
    Future: RHCE? VCAP6.5-DCD?
  • petedudepetedude Posts: 1,510Member
    I would do Exchange 2007 only IF:
    1. You're in an extreme hurry;
    2. You have access to free or dirt cheap study materials-- especially if you already have some piled up, or someone you know has them readily available.
    3. Your test lab won't support the latest version for whatever reason (hardware, OS, etc).
    4. You just need an E-mail cert, and you don't expect to become a heavy duty enterprise Exchange admin anytime soon. For many jobs, you can sell being certified on an older version of a product and upgrade your skills once you get in; but that's one more thing you have to sell/work on.

    It CAN be easier to study the cert exam for the last version of a product, since test vendors have a bad habit of tightening up the exams every time they release a new version. As noted above, though, you should be sure you want to take that route before you dive in.
    Even if you're on the right track, you'll get run over if you just sit there.
    --Will Rogers
  • jibbajabbajibbajabba Posts: 4,317Member ■■■■■■■■□□
    petedude wrote: »
    I would do Exchange 2007 only IF:
    1. You're in an extreme hurry;
    2. You have access to free or dirt cheap study materials-- especially if you already have some piled up, or someone you know has them readily available.
    3. Your test lab won't support the latest version for whatever reason (hardware, OS, etc).
    4. You just need an E-mail cert, and you don't expect to become a heavy duty enterprise Exchange admin anytime soon. For many jobs, you can sell being certified on an older version of a product and upgrade your skills once you get in; but that's one more thing you have to sell/work on.

    It CAN be easier to study the cert exam for the last version of a product, since test vendors have a bad habit of tightening up the exams every time they release a new version. As noted above, though, you should be sure you want to take that route before you dive in.

    Even then I'd go with 2010 - 2007 is horrible to work with and highly frustrating .. studying is a lot harder for this exam .. 2010 is a lot easier tbh.
    My own knowledge base made public: http://open902.com :p
  • FizzedineFizzedine Posts: 33Member ■■□□□□□□□□
    Thanks for the replies guys. My reason for 2007 is really because I can not get a hold of a 64 bit machine and cant really afford a new one. But as the general reply is 2010 Il have to see what I can do.

    Cheers guys
  • jibbajabbajibbajabba Posts: 4,317Member ■■■■■■■■□□
    Fizzedine wrote: »
    Thanks for the replies guys. My reason for 2007 is really because I can not get a hold of a 64 bit machine and cant really afford a new one. But as the general reply is 2010 Il have to see what I can do.

    Cheers guys

    What motherboard you've got, maybe there are options ? Cheap ones none the less ... Dirty cheap ones ...
    My own knowledge base made public: http://open902.com :p
  • FizzedineFizzedine Posts: 33Member ■■□□□□□□□□
    Gomjaba wrote: »
    What motherboard you've got, maybe there are options ? Cheap ones none the less ... Dirty cheap ones ...

    Well I have 64 bit hardware on my laptop (Acer 5920G) but you can't turn on the virtualisation within BIOS. I can successfully install 64 bit OS but i can not run 64 bit guests (using virtual box).

    any ideas? icon_cry.gif
  • jibbajabbajibbajabba Posts: 4,317Member ■■■■■■■■□□
    Fizzedine wrote: »
    Well I have 64 bit hardware on my laptop (Acer 5920G) but you can't turn on the virtualisation within BIOS. I can successfully install 64 bit OS but i can not run 64 bit guests (using virtual box).

    any ideas? icon_cry.gif

    Just had a quick google :

    http://www.bios-mods.com/forum/Thread-Acer-Aspire-5920G-VT-EIST-Unlocked

    How to enable Intel VT on Acer Aspire 7720G laptop - Michel Barneveld's Blog - Michel Barneveld
    My own knowledge base made public: http://open902.com :p
  • bigbadjimmypbigbadjimmyp Posts: 7Member ■□□□□□□□□□
    Can anyone tell me if the 2K7 exam is multi choice AND simulations, or purely multi choice?(i know you are keen to advise people to do 2K10, but my company is not upgrading for a few years yet)

    Many thanks in advance.
  • yuddhidhtiryuddhidhtir Posts: 172Member ■■■□□□□□□□
    Can anyone tell me if the 2K7 exam is multi choice AND simulations, or purely multi choice?(i know you are keen to advise people to do 2K10, but my company is not upgrading for a few years yet)

    Many thanks in advance.

    multiple choice.
    “Satisfaction lies in the effort, not in the attainment; full effort is full victory.”
  • bigbadjimmypbigbadjimmyp Posts: 7Member ■□□□□□□□□□
    Thanks for the info - much appreciated.
Sign In or Register to comment.